Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Location of wire or wires for passing lamps?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 02:25 PM
Motonaut
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Location of wire or wires for passing lamps?

Hi. I'm putting my passing lamps back on.

The previous owner removed them so I'm not sure exactly how it was left -- tied up or whatever, but what would I be looking for? One or two wires coming out from the (AUX?) switch or elsewhere behind the headlight? (I assume one, because the inside body of the lamps appears to have the ground wire.)

I'm not looking forward to re-aiming the lamps once re-wired, because I don't have that special slotted socket...

Thanks for any insight on the wiring.

BTW, thanks to this forum I was also able to find 35W replacement bulbs, up from the stock 27W so I'm looking forward to a safe and reasonable output bump. GE 898. Cheers.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:58 PM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Motonaut
Hi. I'm putting my passing lamps back on.

The previous owner removed them so I'm not sure exactly how it was left -- tied up or whatever, but what would I be looking for? One or two wires coming out from the (AUX?) switch or elsewhere behind the headlight? (I assume one, because the inside body of the lamps appears to have the ground wire.)

I'm not looking forward to re-aiming the lamps once re-wired, because I don't have that special slotted socket...

Thanks for any insight on the wiring.

BTW, thanks to this forum I was also able to find 35W replacement bulbs, up from the stock 27W so I'm looking forward to a safe and reasonable output bump. GE 898. Cheers.
Power for the passing lamps (Aux Lamps) is a grey and black wire on my schematic. It shows power to each lamp. If the grd is internal all you need is the grey/black wires.

It's fed by a 2-position connector with 2 GY/BLK leads that is fed from the toggle switch.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:46 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,497 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Is the toggle switch still in place?

The toggle switch is powered by the yellow wire that originates at the headlight dimmer switch. The Grey/Black wires run from the toggle switch to the Passing lamps. Each bulb will have a ground in the housing.

Old 08-02-2014, 01:05 AM
Motonaut
Novice

Thanks. I'll find those Grey/Black wires now that I know what I'm looking for. Yes, toggle switches are in place.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:21 AM
Motonaut
Novice

Great. Found the two grey/black wires. They terminate into a 2-pin connector. Can't find the mate connector locally but I do have a couple of (female) terminals that hug the pins so I'll crimp those to the new passing lamp wires and maybe tape/seal the whole connection up. Thanks again.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:25 AM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,248 Likes on 6,008 Posts

I went to autozone/o'rielleys and bought the cheapest 9/16 six point deep socket i could find. then i took my small 4" grinder and ground off one of the slots along the side of the socket. this is now my special slotted socket for adjusting the driving lights. this took all of 10 minutes to grind out and smooth the socket.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:44 PM
Motonaut
Novice
Default Homemade 9/16" slotted socket for lamp adjustment

Likewise, I just spent half an hour (plus a deep socket and a handful of cheap Dremel cutting disks) to make the tool.

It ain't as purdy as a Snap-on but it should work. Cheers.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:33 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,497 Likes on 4,612 Posts

It sure beats the tighten, check, loosen, aim, tighten, check, curse, loosen,aim........

Old 08-21-2014, 02:07 PM
Motonaut
Novice

Lamps work great. I put some 35W bulbs in to replace the 27W bulbs.

I ended up zip-tieing the passing lamp wires to the housing for the turn signal wires for the first half of their run. Then the passing lamp wires run by themselves inside the headlight facile until they get to the 2 pin socket. Seemed safe.