Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

possible oil filling up crankcase in twin cam?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 12:38 PM
brokeboystreetglide
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible oil filling up crankcase in twin cam?

hi friends. i was wondering if anyone could answer a question for me. i have an 04 electra glide with flat top 95 CI pistons, zippers 1.9 heads, andrews 211 cams, adjustable ignition box, cv carb(power tube in). i had the bike dynoed and it made 73hp. this seems wayyyy off. the shop that did the work has been steering around this issue forever and wont open the bike back up without yet another $$ commitment from me.
they say some oil ring(s) may have filled the crankcase and robbing my power.

if anyone knows if this is possible id really like some direction to go before tearing the motor down by someone else(again)...

thanks in advance for the info
Larry

Old 11-26-2009, 01:31 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's certainly possible to have a sumping issue & it's relatively easy to check for it.

Go out and ride the bike fairly aggressively and then immediately pull the plug out of the bottom of the crankcase (NOT the oil plug) and capture the oil and measure it. You "should" have somewhere in the neighborhood of 6oz in the crankcase. If you have much more, you may in fact have a sumping issue.

The most common cause is a torn or improperly installed o-ring at the oil pump connection with the crankcase. In addition, and improperly aligned oil pump can cause the problem.

Either way, it's an assembly problem.

Old 11-26-2009, 03:44 PM
SpyderTB
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PhilM hit this one dead on.

Old 11-26-2009, 06:00 PM
brokeboystreetglide
Advanced
Angry

thanks for the info ill do this self test soon and post results. could this rob HP? and i mean alot of HP. i chose a combo that shouldve produced what i thought would be at least 85hp, maybe a few more.
im beginning to think something didnt make it on my bike that i paid for. the reason i say this is zippers saw my bike being dynoed at OC bike week and their guy said they dont put compression releases in 95ci heads. would a shop take the trouble to remove stock heads and do this? i want to pull a head and find the zippers stamp they put on all their heads..

Old 11-26-2009, 09:34 PM
eleft
Tourer

Originally Posted by brokeboystreetglide
hi friends. i was wondering if anyone could answer a question for me. i have an 04 electra glide with flat top 95 CI pistons, zippers 1.9 heads, andrews 211 cams, adjustable ignition box, cv carb(power tube in). i had the bike dynoed and it made 73hp. this seems wayyyy off. the shop that did the work has been steering around this issue forever and wont open the bike back up without yet another $$ commitment from me.
they say some oil ring(s) may have filled the crankcase and robbing my power.

if anyone knows if this is possible id really like some direction to go before tearing the motor down by someone else(again)...

thanks in advance for the info
Larry
This is the ring, (yellow) it's an "o" ring between the crankcase (sump) and the oil pump in the photo. It might have slipped when the pump was installed.
Consequently the oil pump can't get the oil back to the oil tank do to the leaking "o" ring

Al

Attached Thumbnails possible oil filling up crankcase in twin cam?-cam_job050.jpg  

Last edited by eleft; 11-26-2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:42 PM
brokeboystreetglide
Advanced

thanks for the pic al. guess i got some teardown on my hands.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:49 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

thanks for the info ill do this self test soon and post results. could this rob HP? and i mean alot of HP. i chose a combo that shouldve produced what i thought would be at least 85hp, maybe a few more.
im beginning to think something didnt make it on my bike that i paid for. the reason i say this is zippers saw my bike being dynoed at OC bike week and their guy said they dont put compression releases in 95ci heads. would a shop take the trouble to remove stock heads and do this? i want to pull a head and find the zippers stamp they put on all their heads..
Yes it can rob a lot of HP.

Worth mentioning: Be very careful not to overtighten the drainplug in the case. It is a tapered plug and can EASILY crack the case.

Compression realease? You can add those to anybodys heads, and it's not uncommon for people to do so if they have starting problems.

Last edited by Faast Ed; 11-27-2009 at 06:51 PM.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:26 PM
eleft
Tourer

thanks for the pic al. guess i got some teardown on my hands.
Check this out, it might help you.

Al

https://www.hdforums.com.au/Default....ics&forumid=24

Old 11-27-2009, 08:33 PM
brokeboystreetglide
Advanced

thanks al i now see the infamous o-ring. im going to do the oil sumping test this weekend. what really makes me mad is when i called the shop that did the work, they pulled up a picture of the o ring and said i likely need the o ring. they just installed the cams 3k ago. and now im reading the andrews 211 cams are bad news without the right heads and compression. ive been avoiding going to someone else who i found and spending more money but i want the bike right and have very good reason not to trust the shop that did the work. its not the money, its the principle ya know?

thanks alot for the link al..i now feel enlightened on how to handle this

Old 11-28-2009, 06:48 PM
tootal
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If the o-ring is bad or the pump is bad you should see a drop off in power around 3000 rpm on the dyno. This happened to a friend who tried different cams with no success. He threw it on a dyno and the operator took one look at the results and told him he was sumping. He installed a new pump and all is well. Take a look at the dyno sheet and look for a definite drop off in power.

Quick Reply: possible oil filling up crankcase in twin cam?