Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

MSP Remote Oil Filter Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 02:22 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Default MSP Remote Oil Filter Install

I recently recall a thread on this subject. I purchased the system for my '05 Deuce and completed the install yesterday. IMHO, pretty slick and well worth the time and cost. I changed oil as part of the install and was reminded how much I hate changing the filter in the OEM location. But then, I smiled; never again. I have made many mods to the Deuce over the years but this is one of my favorites. Will be ordering the system for the '02 FLHT soon. A few photos follow.

Old 10-26-2014, 02:31 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,495 Likes on 4,612 Posts

What is gonna happen when the passenger forgets to put the peg down, and stomps on the oil filter?.....

I like it. You could also reroute the oil tank drain hose over to that area.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 10-26-2014 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 03:30 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,294 Posts

Sweet!

This is something I've thinking about doing for years and never got around to it.

It recently has moved higher on my priority list and I will have it done before Spring.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 10-26-2014, 05:08 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

Nice, I like the idea of avoiding the mess!

Old 10-27-2014, 12:04 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
What is gonna happen when the passenger forgets to put the peg down, and stomps on the oil filter?.....

I like it. You could also reroute the oil tank drain hose over to that area.
This is my solo bike; a passenger is rare and when she gets on, being a gentleman, I put the peg down for her. So no worries but you do have a keen eye for the downside.

Not sure I follow the oil tank drain line comment?

Old 10-27-2014, 03:52 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,495 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
Not sure I follow the oil tank drain line comment?
On the old Softails (not sure how it is set up on the newer models), the oil tank drain hose runs along the right side of the bike, so that is the side you drain it from. I was thinking the hose could be re routed so that it ended near the relocated oil filter, so everything would be in one spot.

Old 10-27-2014, 04:20 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
On the old Softails (not sure how it is set up on the newer models), the oil tank drain hose runs along the right side of the bike, so that is the side you drain it from. I was thinking the hose could be re routed so that it ended near the relocated oil filter, so everything would be in one spot.
The later models have a hose that is clamped to the outlet fitting from the oil tank to a fitting in a frame brace below that is where the drain plug fits. I suppose it could be relocated but really more trouble than it's worth.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:38 PM
senna
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

dji, did you by any chance see a drop in oil pressure ? That has to be at least 4' of hose.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:33 AM
MSP Dan
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Troy,

There's no measurable loss of pressure with any of these kits. The gerotor type oil pump in our bikes is what's known as a positive displacement pump. This means that unless that pump is physically broken, it is going to pump x amount of oil with every revolution.

I could go a lot further with this, and I'd be more than happy to if asked, either here or via PM. I just don't want to go off on an uninvited "tech tangent" and sound like I'm giving some kind of a sales pitch.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:08 AM
senna
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MSP Dan
Troy,

There's no measurable loss of pressure with any of these kits. The gerotor type oil pump in our bikes is what's known as a positive displacement pump. This means that unless that pump is physically broken, it is going to pump x amount of oil with every revolution.

I could go a lot further with this, and I'd be more than happy to if asked, either here or via PM. I just don't want to go off on an uninvited "tech tangent" and sound like I'm giving some kind of a sales pitch.
Thanks fro the response, no need to go any further with an explanation.

Quick Reply: MSP Remote Oil Filter Install