Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Needle Bearing on Plug Magnet

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 07:11 PM
ZUTEDUFF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ynots
Id call your highly-recommended mechanic and tell him about what you found and see what he has to say. I wouldnt try to start a shooting match, just let him know about it. He may remember something during the disassembly/build that could explain how it may have gotten there.
yeah that...If you still have the bearing take it to him and let him look at it...could have come out while removing the old cam bearings or while replacing the old...I would still open the chest and take a look see...

Old 11-24-2014, 05:57 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

As Kirby said, if in fact the OE bearings were intact, I'd get inside that cam chest.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:09 PM
BettyAnn
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, all, thanks for all the advice. Here's the latest in the Mystery of the Needle Bearing.

First, spent a lot of time looking at YouTube videos, learned a lot without getting my hands greasy. Looking at cam bearings being installed, I cannot see how they could escape once everything is bolted back together. So...

We figure that means it's a remnant of something that was left inside when the engine work was done, nothing grenading now.

Local cam builder Jim Leineweber took a look at it today and said, "That did not come out of that motor, too short. I think it came out of a Sportster."

When the idea was proposed that it could have been something that rode on a greasy rag from a workbench and got wiped into that cavity, he laughed and said, "That's plausible."

In the meantime, the old oil filter was cut apart, no debris found. Filled her up with new oil, put on new filter, started and warmed up, checked the magnetic plug again and it was clean. Put a stethoscope on the engine, only hear whirling sounds both on rocker boxes and cam cover, no crunching or unusual out-of-cadence noises.

The plan is to ride about 20 miles, get donut, come back and check all over again, every day for at least a week and see if another stranger appears on the magnet. The cam maker's curiosity is roused, so he might cut me a deal to look inside and see if there is anything in there.

Right now the bike sounds great, powerful. Manicure intact.

So, what do you think????

Old 11-24-2014, 04:52 PM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Perhaps the drain plug was set on a bench with remnants that were attracted by the magnet. When installed it wasn't looked at closely.

Maybe when installed it was assumed to be clean and just wasn't looked at closely.

Maybe it was a mix up with the wrong plug from another motor but fit in place, again without looking closely before putting it back in.

Hope for your sake it has nothing to do with failing components inside of your motor.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:46 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Do you have any little kids that like to hide stuff, doubt that went through the oil pump without grenading the motor.