Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Headwork on S&S 124

Old 11-30-2014, 10:45 AM
bbqbiker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headwork on S&S 124

Took off the heads and carb and drove them up to Scott at Hillside, going to get some porting done and bore the carb and add a Thunderjet. Just ordered a Dyna 2Ki to replace my IST ignition. Swapping the 34T trans sprocket back to my 32T or maybe a 31. Keeping the 640 cam per Scott's advice, says it will be good with the increased compression (11:8-1) after headwork. should be a blast when it's back together in a couple weeks.

Trip was good brought a couple of friends, Henry and Curtis. Henry runs a home based shop out of Tiverton RI and raced against Palmer Bros 20 odd years ago and Curtis had a motor built by Palmer Bros a few years back. We headed out at 5am and made a stop at my favorite brkfst place, Carls Diner in Oxford MA for a major cholesterol jam down. We rolled up to Palmer Bros about quarter to 11 and sure enough Scott rolled in at 11 sharp trailering his Quads as he was out hunting. Scott opened up the shop and our tour began. Place is jammed with cool stuff and some nice projects on the lifts. Had to be dozens and dozens of heads in various states of assembly and porting.

Henry bought a very cool dual carb intake from Scott, thing was a work of art. He's going to use it put 2 Super B's on a 124 drag bike. Machined in house from billet. Henry and I went halves on the goofiest set of handlebars youve ever seen. Definately worth $20 worth of laughs.

Per scott I'm gonna shitcan my IST ignition and run a Dyna200i for better tuning options. We're gonna stay with the 640 cam and raise compression to I think 11:8 which Scott says is just short of his "set to kill" for racing use. Works for me as I'm wanting maximum streetable power and reliability too. He's gonna bore and Thunderjet my Super G as well. Taking the 34t trans pulley out and going back to 32t. Heads and carb will be back to me in 2 weeks I'll post some pics.

All in all a nice Saturday on the road with friends, lotsa laughs, cool bike stuff and good food.

Old 12-01-2014, 05:57 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

You should post a pic of those crazy h/bars.......haha.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:26 AM
bbqbiker
Cruiser

I'll be down at Henry's shop on Thursday and all I can say is those bars better NOT be on MY bike.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:29 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor

..............along with a labor bill.........

Old 12-01-2014, 05:29 PM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I've just had the same done to my G-Carb on my S&S 124 -thunderjet and boring -- I had a slight stumble from 1st to 2nd- using Daytona twin teck - we'll see what happens
Originally Posted by bbqbiker
Took off the heads and carb and drove them up to Scott at Hillside, going to get some porting done and bore the carb and add a Thunderjet. Just ordered a Dyna 2Ki to replace my IST ignition. Swapping the 34T trans sprocket back to my 32T or maybe a 31. Keeping the 640 cam per Scott's advice, says it will be good with the increased compression (11:8-1) after headwork. should be a blast when it's back together in a couple weeks.

Trip was good brought a couple of friends, Henry and Curtis. Henry runs a home based shop out of Tiverton RI and raced against Palmer Bros 20 odd years ago and Curtis had a motor built by Palmer Bros a few years back. We headed out at 5am and made a stop at my favorite brkfst place, Carls Diner in Oxford MA for a major cholesterol jam down. We rolled up to Palmer Bros about quarter to 11 and sure enough Scott rolled in at 11 sharp trailering his Quads as he was out hunting. Scott opened up the shop and our tour began. Place is jammed with cool stuff and some nice projects on the lifts. Had to be dozens and dozens of heads in various states of assembly and porting.

Henry bought a very cool dual carb intake from Scott, thing was a work of art. He's going to use it put 2 Super B's on a 124 drag bike. Machined in house from billet. Henry and I went halves on the goofiest set of handlebars youve ever seen. Definately worth $20 worth of laughs.

Per scott I'm gonna shitcan my IST ignition and run a Dyna200i for better tuning options. We're gonna stay with the 640 cam and raise compression to I think 11:8 which Scott says is just short of his "set to kill" for racing use. Works for me as I'm wanting maximum streetable power and reliability too. He's gonna bore and Thunderjet my Super G as well. Taking the 34t trans pulley out and going back to 32t. Heads and carb will be back to me in 2 weeks I'll post some pics.

All in all a nice Saturday on the road with friends, lotsa laughs, cool bike stuff and good food.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:43 AM
bbqbiker
Cruiser

Originally Posted by lkr0
I've just had the same done to my G-Carb on my S&S 124 -thunderjet and boring -- I had a slight stumble from 1st to 2nd- using Daytona twin teck - we'll see what happens
I had no stumble with 31/82 jetting. I want WFO performance from 60-100 love rolling on the throttle and taking the eff off maybe shoulda got an FXR but i like my Hot Rod bagger

Old 12-02-2014, 05:39 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor

Originally Posted by lkr0
Should be crisp, razor-sharp throttle response, once tuned correctly.
Odd.
Scott

Old 12-14-2014, 05:30 AM
bbqbiker
Cruiser

Manifold mocked up on 124 drag bike

Attached Thumbnails Headwork on S&S 124-image.jpg  
Old 12-14-2014, 05:33 AM
bbqbiker
Cruiser