Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Sorry - but another cam thread....

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 01:04 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Default Sorry - but another cam thread....

I have a 2014 FXDF, 103" with Stage 1 already done (D&D Bob Cat Exhaust, DK Customs 636v hi flow AC, Powervision and dyno tuned). On the dyno, it reads 80hp and 89 tq.

I am planning on doing cams and heads on this bike really soon so am looking for some advice and opinions on cams. I intend to do the cams myself, but will have the heads done by a pro. I might also go for a wider throttle body while I am at it.

As for what I am looking for from the bike, I want a lot of low to mid range power. I'm not so worried about absolute ***** out top end as I don't ride like that. I mainly ride back roads and twisties with not much highway stuff. Mainly solo with only a little 2 up. So a cam that hits somewhere around 2,000 would be perfect for me.

So....I've been looking at various cam options and I really like the sound of the Feuling Reaper 574 cams. Power band is specced at 2,100 - 6,000 which seems over wide to me, but would be pretty much perfect if it is the case. So does anyone have experience with these? These are also listed as "bolt in", so the install should be easy enough. I'm not averse to new valve springs (when I get the heads done) and maybe new lifters as well (Gaterman?).

Other cams that have caught my eye include the S&S570 or 583, Andrews TW54 or 57H, or the Woods TW555

That's a fair few to choose from and to be honest I'm a bit lost with the fine differences between all the numbers....so I'd appreciate any advice here on what might be the best choice for the real world.

Also another question....in terms of phasing, I plan to do the cams first, ride the bike a bit like that (probably get it dyno'ed again) and then get the heads ported. Is that sensible or should I just bite the bullet and do it all at the same time?

Thanks in advance for all wisdom and advice!

Old 02-04-2015, 03:38 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,498 Posts

My pick of the cams you mention, the 57 would be my pick; the 583 is a non starter in your configuration.

Save your $$ and do it all at once; match head work with cams. Head work opens up cam options as well. Unless cam lift is greater than .600" lift, OEM springs will work.

Old 02-04-2015, 03:53 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks - just curious though, why is the 583 a non-starter and why the recommendation of the 57H over the others?

I hear you on doing both together. If I do that, then is there any need to use adjustable pushrods as they can just go in from the rocker box end rather than the middle?

And with the headwork done at the same time, would there be other cams you would think worth considering given my riding preferences.

FYI - for the heads, I will be getting either the Street Port Plus or Pro Port from Fastlane Headwork here in the UK: http://www.fastlaneheadwork.co.uk/twincam.html

Old 02-04-2015, 04:55 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by adm
Thanks - just curious though, why is the 583 a non-starter and why the recommendation of the 57H over the others?

I hear you on doing both together. If I do that, then is there any need to use adjustable pushrods as they can just go in from the rocker box end rather than the middle?

And with the headwork done at the same time, would there be other cams you would think worth considering given my riding preferences.

FYI - for the heads, I will be getting either the Street Port Plus or Pro Port from Fastlane Headwork here in the UK: http://www.fastlaneheadwork.co.uk/twincam.html
The 583 has an 18* intake close and will push CCP to high, at least too high for me. I am partial to TMan cams simply because I have run several of his profiles and set up at the high end of recommended compression, I like the way they they run.

Adjustable pushrods will be required with the way you are headed. Don't know anything about your head porter but if he is any good, he can help you with cam selection; he should know works with his heads. However, if he is the same guy that is predicting doom if you bore to 98", I would proceed with caution.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:38 AM
cherry686
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do it all at once and save $ on having dynoed twice

Old 02-07-2015, 05:17 AM
Herksuper
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I threw in the Andrews 48H w/S&S quickee pushrods & S&S lifters...no head work, and she pulls like a train. I'm waiting for my dyno sheet to see the torque curve, but my tuner did tell me he got 103 lbs torque. It seems to come in around 2500 and really pulls through the 4500-5000 range. I was looking for low/mid range just like you and I'm very happy with these. One thing I learned before deciding on the 48H is that there are a million different cams with a million different opinions. You'll never know exactly what your looking for until you just bite the bullet and start from somewhere. Good luck on your decision and ride safe.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:50 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Herksuper
One thing I learned before deciding on the 48H is that there are a million different cams with a million different opinions.
:-) Thanks - that's pretty much the same conclusion I have come to. There's not one "right answer" to the question....

Old 02-07-2015, 01:56 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

I would 2nd the vote for the 57s based on what you have said. I don't buy the "2100-6500rpm" range for the Reaper 574s - the specs indicate more of a mid to higher rpm performer.

With the 57s you could install them first without headwork because they do not need a lot of extra compression like some other choices. Like said, it is always better to do everything at once but not as important with a cam like the 57s.