Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Tappet question

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 06:17 AM
Dechicco
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tappet question

Im really sorry about this one, obviously new to engine work here for my harley. I wanted to do the good ol' pushrod/tappet/lifter replacement to cut down on noise for my TC88 04' RK w/ 43k miles.

I am going to order S&S parts and have my local indy shop do the change.

Dont yell at me, is a tappet the same as a lifter?

Thanks,

Matt from Ohio

Last edited by Dechicco; 04-20-2015 at 06:18 AM. Reason: add sig
Old 04-20-2015, 07:07 AM
Tat2u
Road Warrior
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes mate, same thing, and yes S&S lifters are a quality piece of gear

Old 04-20-2015, 07:41 AM
HDU
Cruiser

I am just curious, how bad is the noise that you are trying to eliminate ?

I am considering doing the same lifter replacement due to tappet noise as I have been reading that the stock Harley lifters are not the best. But I also know that air cooled engines produce a "ticking" sound in general that is just inherent to air cooled engines, so I am just wondering how bad your "ticking" noise is.

Mine is not loud, but it does seem to increase at times, and more when the engine is hot. I have heard some that it sounds like somebody is banging drum sticks on the engine.... mine is no where near that loud, and if mine didn't vary during riding, I probably wouldn't even be thinking about the change at this point having only 6k miles on the Ultra.

Welcome to the forum by the way !

Old 04-20-2015, 09:00 AM
Dechicco
2nd Gear

Thanks! Long-time reader first-time poster hah!

The ticking isnt that bad at all but can definitely hear it through a full-face helmet. It just comes with higher RPMs. Well i've definitely done my hdforum.com research on this job. The common argument seems to be "youre always going to have noise, its a TC88 dude" vs. "do this, do that, maybe this will work".

Obviously nothing is guaranteed, but I kinda wanted to do the replacement for peace of mind as well. My TC88 has 43k miles and I figure with this i'll never have to worry about it again. I dont feel comfortable doing it myself, but it seems like a relatively easy job, dont really have to remove any hardware. Tappets and pushrods will run ya about $450 with S&S hardware. Probably cheaper with different brands.

Thats what im trying to "fix".

Thanks,
Matt from Ohio

Last edited by Dechicco; 04-20-2015 at 09:02 AM. Reason: sig
Old 04-20-2015, 10:00 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,019 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by Dechicco
Im really sorry about this one, obviously new to engine work here for my harley. I wanted to do the good ol' pushrod/tappet/lifter replacement to cut down on noise for my TC88 04' RK w/ 43k miles.

I am going to order S&S parts and have my local indy shop do the change.

Dont yell at me, is a tappet the same as a lifter?

Thanks,

Matt from Ohio
'04 model year was the fist year for the Harley "B" lifter; good hardware but Harley does recommend replacing lifters at 35K miles. However, the B lifters have been "upgraded" to the "C" lifter in 2010 and is now made in Mexico and has had some quality issues. So, replacing with S&S components is a good idea but an easy DIY job if you have basic mechanical skills, tools and can read; you will need the service manual for your bike. The H-D Tapered Quick Install pushrod kit also good hardware and cost about $135, plus shipping from an online discount H-D dealer.

Being an '04 model you should be considering inspecting the cam chain tensioners and, I would suggest, replacing them with the CYCO cam chain tensioners. The early tensioners were prone to crack and disintegrate and damaging the motor. Do some Googling on Harley cam chain tensioners and educate yourself. Yours may be in very good condition but at least inspect them.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:11 AM
Dechicco
2nd Gear

Thanks!

Silly question probably, I need to take off the primary cover to change the cam chain tensioner correct? Im assuming I cant change it just taking off the inspection cover......

Also, should I change the chain itself or is that supposed to last "forever"?

Thanks,

Matt from Ohio

Old 04-20-2015, 10:25 AM
dynawg1
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Matt,

No offense, but it may be a good idea to let your indy do this work for you. Diving into the cam chest (where the cam chain tensioners are) is not all that difficult, but errors in reassembly can cause severe engine damage (expensive). JMHO

Last edited by dynawg1; 04-20-2015 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:38 AM
cromagnon
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I've got an 05 88 with 120K on the engine. The noises never have changed. The only think I've done is change the tensioners at 70K and the cam bearings at the same mileage. Just replaced the battery for the 2nd time the other day.

My advise is don't mess with it if you don't have to. If it's stock, definitely check the tensioners. If your ride hard, they could be chewed up a bit. But mine looked good at 70K when I replaced them.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:50 AM
Dechicco
2nd Gear

Thanks, definitely going to let the shop do it. Appreciate everyones feedback, it puts me in the right direction. I know nothing is going to make my '04 sound like a brand new bike. I plan to keep it forever so want to do the "easy stuff"

Thanks,
Matt from Ohio

Old 04-20-2015, 01:17 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

And as long as your in there on that 2004, check/record that pinion shaft T.I.R.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record