Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Maybe a bad crank??

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 01:21 AM
ShovelheadJeff
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Maybe a bad crank??

Had a bike built by a guy in West L.A. who screwed so many people at his shop, that he no longer walks among us! When I found out what he did to me and others I took the bike, in parts, out of his shop. Unfortunately when I did I found that he sold my Trans and Crank for his Heroin Habit. I got him to me another Crankshaft, that I now think was in his old Shovel-head which he had an accident which was in parts. When I took it all out of his shop I then brought it to another shop who turned out to be more of a lawnmower mechanic then a Harley Mechanic! I finally found an excellent shop called RPM in West Los Angeles. I'm thinking of having him tear it down and do the Crankshaft. Just discovered the noise which at first was thought to be a clutch going out was more likely that Crank the dead guy gave me. Noticed as of the other day that the inner primary case is now showing a small crack at the top front next to the S&S case. I am hoping that all it may need is a need a new balanced Crank and maybe a bearing or two. When you take off it makes a loud clanking / grinding noise and once it is going that pretty much goes away. It however no longer has the power it did before that noise started. Only has 2500 miles on the engine the heads were ported and polished however the Lawnmower mechanic dropped the rear head and it has a small crack at the exhaust port by the exhaust pipe. Has anyone got any knowledge of a problem such as what I am experiencing?

Old 04-27-2015, 09:43 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

You won't be able to correctly diagnose a bad crank until you pull the top off the engine.
As far as the cracked inner primary cover, that usually stems from incorrect trans/engine alignment.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:10 AM
ShovelheadJeff
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your quick reply. It's getting torn-down hopefully this week, , not charging me, Chris wants to see if there is something that may have come lose. Ever since it was put together it vibrates big time! Unfortunately I think it's all as a result of a bad Crank. If I were to do it all over, I wouldn't! A real Black Hole for the American Green Backs. I've hung in this far so........ keep you posted. Thanks for your help.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:34 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Our balanced Evo/Shovel/Pan/Iron and Evo XL, and Flathead cranks are smoooooooooooooooth.
Over the years even made bob-weight adapters for 45"ers.
Good luck.
Scott