Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

oil pump failure, now noise 98" build

Old 04-29-2015, 01:52 AM
nate_dawgg
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pump failure, now noise 98" build

did a 98" build on my 04 fatboy with 35k this winter. bike ran great and smooth and quiet as could be from a performance engine after I got done. Until my oil pump gerotor broke after about 800 shake down miles because I didn't get it centered. Anyway when it happened I was literally pulling out of my driveway and the oil light came on and instantly started to clatter so I turned it off and pushed it back into my shop. And installed a fueling oe+ pump and a fueling relief spring on the pressure relief valve. found no metal in oil or metal anywhere in cam chest. So I was fairly confident I didn't harm anythinG. It was such a brief period that it had No oil pressure. Anyway after installing the new pump I fired it up and it had typical lifter noise while they pumped up, except it seems one lifter wouldn't pump up. So I took it for a ride hoping it would quiet down and it didn't. I chased the sound to the front exhaust valve side and it sounds as if the valve is smacking the seat So I took the lifter block off removed the lifter, tore the lifter apart cleaned it out and inspected it and didn't find anything. Put it back together and swapped the llifter to the intake hole. Well the sound is still there In the front cylinder now it almost seems to sound like the intake valve is smacking the seat. I'm wondering if maybe that lifter was weakened when it ran dry? Or is it possible that I now have too much oil pressure causing the front lifters to pump up solid? After inspection the lifters seem to be functional and pumping up by hand but the sound remains. I'm running ss .583 cams and beehive valve springs with approximately 190lbs of seat pressure. ss Roller rockers. Idk any input would be appreciated. I'm torn between pulling the heavy spring out and trying the old spring and see if drop in pressure makes the stock lifter function better. Or should I just get some fueling lifters? The noise is worse when cold and still present when warm maybe even a tad bit intermittent when warm at cruising speed. in first gear at about 3-4k it actually will smooth out. I'm also getting a lot of vibrations from high gear roll ons. Like valve timing is not quite right and cylinder pressures are different. can running a lifter dry for a few seconds weaken or smash the internal spring?

Last edited by nate_dawgg; 04-29-2015 at 02:45 AM.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:37 AM
nate_dawgg
Intermediate

Has anyone had any negative effects with a stiffer spring? Fueling recommended buying there can plate pressure tool and setting the pressure of the spring. I did not do this because I figured they wanted to sell me a 90% tool.

Old 04-29-2015, 06:43 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

HD motors are volume,not oil pressure sensitive motors.having it go to 0 oil pressure for a short time wont muck anything up.i would put your stock spring back in & see if the noise goes away (I would have stuck with a stock cam plate & pump too)

Old 04-29-2015, 06:58 AM
nate_dawgg
Intermediate

Cam plate is stock. Pump is about equivalent of the nowadays twin cam pumps. Think I'll try spring

Old 04-29-2015, 01:19 PM
nate_dawgg
Intermediate

Well I changed the spring back to the stock relief valve spring and it made no difference in my valve train noise but it did drop my idling oil pressure from 60psi down to 20psi