Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Replacing base o-rings, Do I need anything else?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 01:24 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Originally Posted by Bagger_Vance
Here's another thought. After I get it up and running to operating temp drain the oil and put in some Rotella 15-40W and run for about a hundred miles or so. After that do another change and put Mobil 1 back in it. New filters on each change of course. If any bits got down in the bottom I'll try to flush them out but I was careful as I could be. I just changed the oil not 500 miles ago too, which sucks. I use K&N filters that I get from Advance Auto using an online code so they only cost about $10 each. Better ideas than this? Even thought about adding a little seafoam to the oil before the first change and when the Rotella is in there.
I break in all new builds on Rotella 15W40; I know your is not a new build but Rotella is a great break in oil. I don't see the need to change filters after the 100 miles with the Rotella; as a matter of fact I might put 150-200 miles on the Rotella, dump it but keep filter and run the Mobil 1 for another 500 miles or so, dump it and change filters then. I don't add anything to the oil but do add some MMO to the fuel every few tanks. JMHO.

Old 05-28-2015, 01:59 PM
dynawg1
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bagger_Vance
I appreciate everyone's opinions on the matter. If we were talking 2 stroke sleds I'd be the one giving advice for sure, they are easy. HOPEFULLY my circlips will come in late today and I'll be able to start tonight putting the rear back together. Going to full assemble it before I go on to the front. Got the pushrod adjustment figured out (20 flats after zero lash when cylinder is on the base circle) so that was my main concern at this point. Everything is cleaned up and ready to go. Wish me luck!!!
Take care not to deform the new circlips any more than necessary to get them to snap into the groove, do not line up the circlip opening with the relief in the piston (or you won't get them back out without buku swearing) and then make sure that they are fully seated in the groove all the way around.

Old 05-28-2015, 02:37 PM
Bagger_Vance
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
I break in all new builds on Rotella 15W40; I know your is not a new build but Rotella is a great break in oil. I don't see the need to change filters after the 100 miles with the Rotella; as a matter of fact I might put 150-200 miles on the Rotella, dump it but keep filter and run the Mobil 1 for another 500 miles or so, dump it and change filters then. I don't add anything to the oil but do add some MMO to the fuel every few tanks. JMHO.
I'm getting ready to leave on June 11 for a solo 2500 mile ride down to the Smokies, hence the reason I had just changed the oil. I used to run Rotella in my race quad (harescrambles) and it always did good by me. Changed it after ever race but did the filter every 2 and never had to tear it down and it was built.

My oil pressure is running just a little higher than normal and hopefully I'll get anything out of the motor that might have plugged it up and run higher. I never paid much attention to the gauge but I think it started after I did the seafoam/water in the intake about 500 miles ago or so. It used to be right at 32-34 at cruising when warm but now up to about 40 and comes down to around 10-15 when at idle. Don't know if some of that carbon got blown off and stuck somewhere. Should I check anything in the cam chest or anywhere else since it's torn down and I can get to it easily? Waiting a few day to put the top end back on isn't going to hurt me at this point.

Originally Posted by dynawg1
Take care not to deform the new circlips any more than necessary to get them to snap into the groove, do not line up the circlip opening with the relief in the piston (or you won't get them back out without buku swearing) and then make sure that they are fully seated in the groove all the way around.

I hear ya, same thing on sleds. I usually put the opening between 2-4 o'clock and walk the bottom on the clip in the opening with a small screwdriver and hold the back part with my thumb. I also like to have someone standing there with eyes and ears open just in case that little SOB flies off (of course the bottom end is covered with rags).

Old 05-28-2015, 02:44 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

B_V, Get a 3/4" copper pipe coupler and a 5/8" deep well socket. Grab the circlip with a pair of needle nose pliers and work it in to the coupler. Once in the coupler, push the socket into the coupler to "square" the circlip inside the coupler. Then, insert the coupler into the piston pin boss and use the socket to push the circlip into place. Easiest circlip install and will not compress the circlip much at all. I have a series of pictures that illustrate this step by step but the file is too large to attach. If you would like the file, PM me your email address and I will send it to you.

I wouldn't worry over the change in oil pressure. It isn't excessive and will likely return to prior levels after you roll up a few miles. I would button things up and get some road test miles on before taking off on the trip.

Last edited by djl; 05-28-2015 at 02:53 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:39 PM
Bagger_Vance
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by djl
B_V, Get a 3/4" copper pipe coupler and a 5/8" deep well socket. Grab the circlip with a pair of needle nose pliers and work it in to the coupler. Once in the coupler, push the socket into the coupler to "square" the circlip inside the coupler. Then, insert the coupler into the piston pin boss and use the socket to push the circlip into place. Easiest circlip install and will not compress the circlip much at all. I have a series of pictures that illustrate this step by step but the file is too large to attach. If you would like the file, PM me your email address and I will send it to you.

I wouldn't worry over the change in oil pressure. It isn't excessive and will likely return to prior levels after you roll up a few miles. I would button things up and get some road test miles on before taking off on the trip.
That is a heck of an idea and I'll definitely do that. I love DIY stuff like this. Yes, I most definitely want to put on a few hundred miles before my trip. I've also got AMA roadside and the first night I take off only going about 225 miles to my home town.

I just called my indy and my clips didn't come in with the order he placed (everything else did) and he's checking on it for me. With my luck they will be back ordered. Thanks for the tip on da clip!!!

Old 05-28-2015, 07:01 PM
Bagger_Vance
Outstanding HDF Member

Alright, I got the 3/4 copper coupling and tried to put an old clip in there and what a b*tch. I finally got one in there but it wouldn't square up all the way because the ends touched. The circlip fit perfectly on the outside of the coupler. Here is what they look like (stock picture) and wire diameter is .059" so they are pretty stout and I can barely squeeze them together by hand. The new ones aren't going to come in until Monday so I'm screwed for the weekend because my indy's supplier evidently sent them to Texas by mistake. The supplier is reshipping supposedly. I don't know how the new ones are going to be stronger than these and these are in perfect shape and not out of round. I'm NOT going to reuse them though. It feels to me like lifting the bottom of the circlip into place like I do on sleds would be easier than fighting getting them into the coupler but I don't know, I guess well see but it won't be until next week.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:33 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Could be that the Wiseco circlips are a different size and gauge than those I have worked with; have never used Wiseco pistons and the coupler method might not work well with those circlips. If you think those are a PITA just be glad that they are not the spiral lock type. Just a suggestion but if it doesn't work for you then your way might be easier.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:52 PM
Bagger_Vance
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by djl
Could be that the Wiseco circlips are a different size and gauge than those I have worked with; have never used Wiseco pistons and the coupler method might not work well with those circlips. If you think those are a PITA just be glad that they are not the spiral lock type. Just a suggestion but if it doesn't work for you then your way might be easier.
It's all good, brother, and I appreciate the how to. I'm actually going to head to one of my local HDs tomorrow to have a look at the different styles they have. The Wiseco website and a couple other sites show that this pin fits in many years of bikes (W5752). I have to pick up a couple odds and ends so it's no big deal. Going to take my digital calipers and the piston/jug with me just in case.

Old 05-29-2015, 04:36 PM
Bagger_Vance
Outstanding HDF Member

Lesson learned. Don't trust a manufacturer customer service rep on their word. Went to one of my local HDs today with my circlips and calipers and it turns out they are exactly the same as the HDs. When I called Wiseco a guy said theirs were different size wire and diameter and wouldn't accept the HDs. Could have saved a lot of hassle on this.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:27 PM
dynawg1
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Let us know when you get it running.

Quick Reply: Replacing base o-rings, Do I need anything else?