Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

93 sportster 1200 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 08:35 PM
WarriorA
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 sportster 1200 won't start

I just bought the bike yesterday started it up and drive it around all was well. I get it home and the air filter and carb assembly are missing the two bolts that attach it to the heads. So I attempt to hold it in the correct position so that its sealed while starting it and it cranks but wouldn't turn over I tried it a couple times and wouldn't work so I added fuel (regular unleaded). Still it won't start and now it's just clicking really fast like nothing is igniting. So I call the person I bought it from to see if they were using starting fluid to start it, due to the bolts being totally off. They say no but who really knows, but they do tell me that they always ran premium in it. So with the little story I just told. What do I do? How can I get my bike up and running? Is it because I mixed fuels that it's not working? All help is greatly appreciated.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:54 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,498 Posts

First thing to do is to get the proper breather bolts and secure the backing plate to the heads. Then, load test the battery, sounds like it needs replacing. No harm done by mixing fuels. There may be other issues with the motor but take care of the obvious, make sure the battery is up to snuff and I am betting she starts and runs; go from there.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:25 PM
northeastconfederate
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

In case you don't know, I'll elaborate a little bit on DJL's post. When he says "correct breather bolts", make sure you get the hollow bolts specificall for the application. The motor breathes through those bolts.

As to your no start condition, like djl said, get the battery squared away. Good chance with low voltage the plugs couldn't fire and got wet. Might throw a new set of plugs in too. Might not need them, but it's a possibility.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:20 PM
WarriorA
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you very much I charged the battery up and she fired up I just held the air filter assembly in place to see if she'd start up. I'm working on getting breather bolts. My local Harley only has one and I want to make sure I get the right size. Thanks again for the help!