Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Piston to cylinder wall clearance in a 107"

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 07:54 AM
bteski
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

That may be the norm but what this manufacturer told me was the very edge of the piston is the widest point & it tapers towards the ring lands from there .003-.004 that's why the
micrometer has to split the bottom of the piston.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:19 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,022 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by bteski
That may be the norm but what this manufacturer told me was the very edge of the piston is the widest point & it tapers towards the ring lands from there .003-.004 that's why the micrometer has to split the bottom of the piston.
I wonder how many motors the "manufacturer" has built? How many motors do you think Scott and/or Kirby have built? I know who I would be listening too.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:46 AM
bteski
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

(I wonder how many motors the "manufacturer" has built?)
I agree that's why I'm asking the questions Iv'e built many motors my self & back in the day learned the hard way about re checking everything before assembly. What aggravates me is this should be plug & play there is no reasonable expectation that a customer should have to take a newly machined set of jugs & pistons to someone to have measured to verify the correct clearance. That is part of what we are paying for. As far as the pistons go I think it may be a case of this type of piston works good in a short life drag motor but not in an every day street motor. I've raced cars & drag & tunnel boats in that scenario you want the most power with as much reliability as needed but you know that going in. Nascar motors for all they have to do aren't built for thousands of miles of service they are built for hundreds of miles of service. I think with these pistons it may be a miss application of technology but that is what I'm trying to get educated on. Hopefully when I get this figured out I will be able to pass on the correct educated information to other people I see that are having problems.
Thx Bob

Last edited by bteski; 09-03-2015 at 09:51 AM.