Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Please help me spend my money wisely.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 08:58 PM
Gesjr6
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help me spend my money wisely.

I have a 2014 breakout with v&h big radius duels. Tman 555 torqster cams, se heavy breather . My plans this winter are having a 107 kit installed. . One of the local harley dealers is also a tman performance dealer. They carry his kits and other tman parts in stock . It would save me the hassle of packaging my parts and the cost of shipping both ways if I was to just disassemble my bike and go do a parts swap rite at the dealer. Here is my conundrum. After hrs of Internet research it seems to me that the fuel moto and hillside cycle kits are consistently pulling better numbers on the dyno than a comparable tman kit. Not always but more.often than not. The stage 2 pro touring elite kit is the tman kit I would be purchasing. I realize that dyno numbers aren't the end all be all but they do make for nice bragging rites at times. Is it just me or has anyone else noticed the lower numbers on the tman kits ? I have no doubt about the quality of all the the kits . Just wondering if I'm imagining it or do his kits have slightly lower number than the other two mentioned when doing the best you can comparing apples to apples ?

Old 12-13-2015, 10:27 PM
ntraindavefl
Road Warrior
Received 333 Likes on 234 Posts

Wes there at LaHarley and his boys do lots of kits and solid tuning from what I observe. If I lived next door I would for sure use them for tuning as I install my own stuff. As for kit comparisons, they all have great reputations so many here will vouch for each vendor mentioned. I can say that Hillside offers more versatility and custom work outta the bunch, more experience working with wide range of applications. Tman designs and sells his kits, FM has their kits on the shelf, and dyno numbers seen on websites should DEFINITELY not sway anyone to buy their kits. As far as Tman numbers seeming low...maybe the dyno showing those (LaHarley's) is a little stingy. Do whats in your budget and convenient.

Old 12-13-2015, 11:11 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Key point: You can NOT compare dyno numbers from different dyno shops, different techs, different builds. Can't.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:14 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,792 Likes on 3,303 Posts

Shipping is cheap but the performance is where it's at. There is something to be said about hand porting a set of heads..............

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 12-14-2015 at 08:45 AM.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:31 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I don't know about Tman, but Hillside and FM are both HDF sponsors.....

Old 12-14-2015, 10:08 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

You already have Tman cams, so why not do the 107" and have Tman work over your cylinder heads? Who else to make those cams work their best? Tman has a steller rep, would definately not worry about small differences in dyno charts from different tuning shops.

Old 12-14-2015, 04:01 PM
blue flht
Road Captain
Received 178 Likes on 103 Posts

I have 3 years on a T-man 107 and would use him again in a heartbeat.

Old 12-14-2015, 04:13 PM
fidel
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

dyno number is only number different dyno different dyno operator different day

Old 12-14-2015, 04:25 PM
BVBOB
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fidel
dyno number is only number different dyno different dyno operator different day
Exactly!! You said you want to spend wisely correct? Then stop looking at dyno numbers first off. Secondly I would put T-mans stuff up against anyone's here or anywhere else for that matter. His work is first rate and flawless and his combos are proven performers and will hold up over time. As for your setup the tq 555 is a great cam but I would probably be looking to swapping out to a 577 or better yet a 590 with his heads. And FWIW T-man uses his dyno for tuning and research, not for sales.

Old 12-14-2015, 05:49 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,324 Likes on 3,269 Posts

I know atman is not a sponsor but he is a good builder. I wouldn't hesitate to use him or FM, or Hillside..I probably am leaving out several.

Last edited by Notgrownup; 12-14-2015 at 05:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Please help me spend my money wisely.