Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Borrow some tools for a cam swap?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 06:42 PM
SiggerTX
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Borrow some tools for a cam swap?

I'm about to do cams on my '06 FLHT, hoping to avoid buying the inner and outer bearing tools if possible. I have a shop press for the cam plate bearings. Anyone have the tools that would rent or let me borrow for a few days? Looking at New Years weekend as I'll be off a few days. Thanks for considering!

Old 12-27-2015, 07:32 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,498 Posts

There is a work around to R/R the inner cam bearings. I used it a couple of times until I started helping friends and family with cam installs and bought the tool. I call it the "cave man" work around.

AutoZone rents a blind hole puller; just check the case and make sure the correct size collet is there. Take one of your new bearings or measure it. You can push the new bearings in with one of the take out cams. Freeze the bearings over night, liberally apply assembly lube to the bearing cage and bore. Install the bearings numbers facing out; the back side has a chamfer to facilitate getting the bearing started straight in the bore which is the key to a successful install. Use the take out cam to tap the bearing into the bore. When done, insert your pinkie into the bearing and roll the rollers to make sure none are in a bind and all rolling. Boom! Go have a beer and find something else to do with the money you saved on tools.

Of course, if you can borrow the R/R tool, do it. Just saying you don't have to purchase a tool that you will very likely only use once.

Old 12-27-2015, 07:45 PM
SiggerTX
Road Captain

I had considered doing just that, but I'm still stuck on the cam plate bearings. Being an hour away from anywhere sucks sometimes, plus I like to do what I can when I can.

Old 12-27-2015, 08:18 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Originally Posted by SiggerTX
I'm about to do cams on my '06 FLHT, hoping to avoid buying the inner and outer bearing tools if possible. I have a shop press for the cam plate bearings. Anyone have the tools that would rent or let me borrow for a few days? Looking at New Years weekend as I'll be off a few days. Thanks for considering!
Check your PMs.

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 12-28-2015, 05:56 AM
SiggerTX
Road Captain

Still looking

Old 12-28-2015, 09:00 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,498 Posts

I had considered doing just that, but I'm still stuck on the cam plate bearings. Being an hour away from anywhere sucks sometimes, plus I like to do what I can when I can.
Your OP indicated that you have a shop press for the cam plate bearings?? If not, you can cap them out with a hammer and a socket of the right size. To install the bearings, freeze the cams over night and when ready to install, heat the bearings in the oven at 350* for about 20 minutes. Apply assembly lube to the cams and drop the bearings onto the cams; they will usually drop all the way on to the stop. Have a socket that is the same diameter of the bearing race so if the bearings don't drop all the way on, you can tap them the rest of the way wit the socket. Do one at time. Once the bearings are on the cam shafts, use the same procedure; heat the cam plate in the oven like the bearings and freeze the cams/bearings over night. Remove the cleanout plug at the top of the cam plate before heating; it has an o-ring that will otherwise melt and stick up the kitchen. Support the cam plate high enough off the work surface so that the cam "nose" can drop all the way through. Line up the timing marks on the cams and they will drop right into the cam plate. Make sure the timing marks are aligned or you will be starting all over. Don't forget the oven mitts!

Illustrated step by step link is attached. Install is for gear drive cam but the basic method is the same; see page 2-3.

http://harleyhog.host.sk/1550/bbonline03.htm

Old 01-03-2016, 09:22 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,169 Posts

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...or-rent-4.html