Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Painting Edges of Cylinder Fins

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 08:14 AM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,570 Likes on 674 Posts
Default Painting Edges of Cylinder Fins

I have the bike stripped down with the rocker boxes and pushrod tubes sent off for powder coating. I don't really want to remove the cylinders and wondering if anyone has painted just the silver edges of their cylinders. If so, how and what did you use?

Wonder if this and a model paint brush would work. Tedious, but ....

Last edited by BigMike; 01-04-2016 at 08:18 AM.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:28 AM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,718 Likes on 3,494 Posts

Tedious? Very, I had heads and cyls on the bench. Results were so so. Didn't last, constant touch ups made it look like crap. I know preparation is everything, did my best. Others have had no problems...up to you....feel lucky?

I recommend buffing up the silver edges then applying S100 Engine Brightener to the black sections. Really brings up the contrast.

Jim

Old 01-04-2016, 08:30 AM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,570 Likes on 674 Posts

Originally Posted by roussfam
Tedious? Very, I had heads and cyls on the bench. Results were so so. Didn't last, constant touch ups made it look like crap. I know preparation is everything, did my best. Others have had no problems...up to you....feel lucky?

I recommend buffing up the silver edges then applying S100 Engine Brightener to the black sections. Really brings up the contrast.

Jim
What paint did you use?

Old 01-04-2016, 10:15 AM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member

Can't remember. It was on my previous bike. Some kind of high temp header paint

Old 01-04-2016, 01:05 PM
ntraindavefl
Road Warrior
Received 333 Likes on 234 Posts

I saw a youtube guy spray the cylinders with a high temp wrinkle black (more forgiving appearance wise) and came out real nice. Touching up just the edges will come out a bit ghetto especially over time.
To clean up rusty fins, a super fine sand paper is best, then keep the anti corrosion s100 applied on the regular.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:45 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

A high temp ceramic coating that is professionally applied is about the only product that will stand up to the abuse. Engine heat cycles are going to trash any type paint that you apply.

Old 01-04-2016, 05:53 PM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 237 Likes on 209 Posts

Get the wrinkle spray paint from harley. I have a buddy that has painted entire engines in frame with good results. Wire wheel off loose paint and clean several times.

Old 01-04-2016, 06:53 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member

First I did the edges, started to look like crap, then spray painted entire Cyls. Paint started to lift off in finger nail sized patches after one season. If you paint your Cyls its like painting a wood deck. You have to keep repainting every year or two. Plus when you do, it's not like you can completely remove the previous coat. Go ahead roll the dice, it sounds like you want to do it, just waiting for enough guys to say it's great.

Get them done right. Powder coated then done.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:38 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Originally Posted by roussfam
First I did the edges, started to look like crap, then spray painted entire Cyls. Paint started to lift off in finger nail sized patches after one season. If you paint your Cyls its like painting a wood deck. You have to keep repainting every year or two. Plus when you do, it's not like you can completely remove the previous coat. Go ahead roll the dice, it sounds like you want to do it, just waiting for enough guys to say it's great.

Get them done right. Powder coated then done.
Powdercoating won't hold up under all the intense heat cycles the cylinders will experience. Proper ceramic coating is the only thing that will.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:43 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks

Quick Reply: Painting Edges of Cylinder Fins