Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Lefty bearing VS Timken

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 10:13 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by azlou66
DJL,
There are a metric **** ton of 107's making good numbers on stock cranks. I'm beginning to think how you ride has something to do with crank life. I agree we shouldn't need to have these conversations if the mother ship was doing cranks right. The biggest problem I have read about 120's has been jugs out of round from the factory some cranks also but brand new cylinders out of round. If I dropped the coin on a 120 and the bores were messed up right from the rip I'd be wanting a big chunk of someone's *** for sure.
I am certain that how one rides has something to do with crank life but also am certain that some crank failures are "baked in the cake" from the factory and the poor sap that buys that motorcycle takes it in the shorts if crank runout shows up to be .010" and the bike is unrideable. Regardless of the metric ton of 107" motors making good numbers on stock cranks; you should be able to count on the stability of a crank shaft when paying $20K for a motorcycle and with the HD brand, you just can't do that. That's my issue.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:23 PM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 238 Likes on 210 Posts

DJL,
There are a metric **** ton of 107's making good numbers on stock cranks. I'm beginning to think how you ride has something to do with crank life. I agree we shouldn't need to have these conversations if the mother ship was doing cranks right. The biggest problem I have read about 120's has been jugs out of round from the factory some cranks also but brand new cylinders out of round. If I dropped the coin on a 120 and the bores were messed up right from the rip I'd be wanting a big chunk of someone's *** for sure.
One of the dealers here put in a 120R and it used oil from the start. Luckily for the owner, the dealer stood behind the motor even tho headquarters didn't. The dealer installed a different motor.

Old 02-12-2016, 01:59 PM
azlou66
Road Captain

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
I am certain that how one rides has something to do with crank life but also am certain that some crank failures are "baked in the cake" from the factory and the poor sap that buys that motorcycle takes it in the shorts if crank runout shows up to be .010" and the bike is unrideable. Regardless of the metric ton of 107" motors making good numbers on stock cranks; you should be able to count on the stability of a crank shaft when paying $20K for a motorcycle and with the HD brand, you just can't do that. That's my issue.
Completely agree the MOCO should be doing a MUCH better job in regards to cranks, new issue seems to be rod big ends.

Old 02-12-2016, 02:02 PM
azlou66
Road Captain

Originally Posted by InthewindMN
One of the dealers here put in a 120R and it used oil from the start. Luckily for the owner, the dealer stood behind the motor even tho headquarters didn't. The dealer installed a different motor.
You would think a company that has been boring cylinders since 1903 would have it down pat by now, WTF?

Old 02-12-2016, 02:03 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

You would think a company that has been boring cylinders since 1903 would have it down pat by now, WTF?
$$$$$

Old 02-13-2016, 07:17 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

So where are all the posts about failed "leftie" bearings??

In a race motor that lives it's life at red line I get it, street motor that rarely sees max rpm under heavy load (ie:top gear) if ever is the added expense warranted? Now I'm sure the guys who do the conversion will swear by them and I don't blame them a lot of labor with low parts cost = great margins on the work.
Trust me, there is a good deal of expensive parts, plus the machinery, plus the fixturing/tooling purchases in order to establish precision Timken bearing conversions.
No one is laughing all the way to the bank here.
The only reason the Moco went the route of the rollers is them cheaping out on YOU, the end user.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:27 AM
azlou66
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
Trust me, there is a good deal of expensive parts, plus the machinery, plus the fixturing/tooling purchases in order to establish precision Timken bearing conversions.
No one is laughing all the way to the bank here.
The only reason the Moco went the route of the rollers is them cheaping out on YOU, the end user.
Scott
Scott I've been working in and managaging aerospace machine shops since I left the USAF in 1993. I completely understand the initial cost of tooling and fixturing for a new job, normally referred to as non reoccurring expenses. Once the initial tooling and fixturing costs are recovered they are no longer an expense to the shop performing the work. When we enter into an LTA with a major airplane maker they expect a cost reduction over the term of the LTA as we become more proficient in our process'. The first time you machined a twin cam case for a Timken you realized you tooling and fixturing costs, since then you have been amortizing those costs on every Timken install you have done, have you as a shop past those savings on to your customers? The actual process of a Timken conversion is very basic machining, once properly tooled additional cost should be very low.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:36 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor

After the purchase of the sleeve, seal, Timken bears, and crank spacer, that leaves us with approx. $93.00 left on the table to remove the old bearing, clean and prep for machining, press the sleeve in using very expensive Loctite,
set up in one of our milling machines and c/drill, drill, tap on location/bolt circle, install the screws w/Loctite, set up and establish oil feed hole, set up and establish oil drain hole, clean, install Timken races, set bearing end play.
Our machine shop is extremely reasonably billed out at $80.00/hr., and in no way, can we perform that work in 1.16 hrs.
I've been in this industry for 30 years and have been a NYS Certified Toolmaker for 35.
More of a service we offer, than a money-maker.
A guy with an Estwing hammer/skill saw/ladder rack/magnetic signs on his p/u truck makes more dollar/hr. Fact.

The following users liked this post:
Fathead Fool (11-26-2023)
Old 02-15-2016, 06:28 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

agree with scott,we get 295.00 for all parts & labor to do the Timken conversion,beleave me,it aint a big profit generator for the shop

Old 02-15-2016, 07:22 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor

As long as we are working, we make a living.
No rich uncle, no lottery winner, nothing given to us, in spite of rumor control.
Scott