Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Simple lifters/pushrods question....

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 08:14 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,459 Likes on 1,406 Posts
Default Simple lifters/pushrods question....

OK, so I have changed the cams in my '14 FXDF to Andrews 57H, and am just waiting to get my heads back before buttoning the bike up.

I have replaced the stock "C" lifters with Comp Cams 850-1s, and will be using the S&S Quickee adjustable pushrods. I've never installed adjustable pushrods before (or swapped cams for that matter), but everything I have read about installing the pushrods says to make sure that the lifter is on the base circle for the pushrod you need to adjust, take out the slack from the pushrod, adjust the pushrod the required number of flats - and WAIT FOR THE LIFTER TO BLEED DOWN.

Now....the lifters are new - so how can I know if they are pumped up in the first place or not. I'd have to assume that they are pretty much bled down from time in stock, in transit and the few weeks they have been sitting in the bike anyway, right? They've been at atmospheric pressure since they were manufactured, and who knows how long ago that was?

So, given that I can't run the engine to pump them up in the first place, is it just a matter of take up the slack, adjust the pushrods the required number of flats, leave the lifters for a while to bleed any oil that is in there out and it should be good? In other words it's really setting the pushrod length against the spring in the lifter rather than any particular hydraulic pressure?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'd rather do it right the first time!

Old 01-12-2016, 08:19 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,785 Likes on 9,863 Posts

After adjustment, wait until you can spin the pushrods with your fingers.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:41 PM
Nitrusfix
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently installed the same pushrods as well as S&S premium lifters. With cam at base circle extend the pushrod by hand until you get out all the slack . I run mine at 4 turns and 3 flats. I then removed the spark plugs and unplugged the fuel pump then crank it over a few times for at least 10 seconds and that will pump up the lifters some but it will rattle until all the air is bled out.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:44 PM
ntraindavefl
Road Warrior
Received 333 Likes on 234 Posts

You can take them out and soak them in oil until you button it up, but if they came pkgd in oil and have been sitting for a few weeks in the bores then just adjust as per specs, allow time to spin them freely as mentioned, they will pump up few minutes after start up. All good.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:53 PM
Nitrusfix
Cruiser

While you have it apart I would recommend putting in a set of rockouts they made big difference on my 2014 SG and yes you will be adjusting against the spring in the lifter. Good luck!

Old 01-12-2016, 09:26 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Nitrusfix
While you have it apart I would recommend putting in a set of rockouts they made big difference on my 2014 SG and yes you will be adjusting against the spring in the lifter. Good luck!
I'm thinking the same way - I already have a set of "rocker lockers" on the bench ready to go in.....

Old 01-12-2016, 09:44 PM
Nitrusfix
Cruiser

Originally Posted by adm
I'm thinking the same way - I already have a set of "rocker lockers" on the bench ready to go in.....
Keep an eye on the pushrods rubbing on the bottom of the pushrod tubes I ended up using the top tube from the OEM and the bottom tube from the kit. The OEM top tubes are about an inch shorter giving enough clearance for the collar to clear.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:10 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Nitrusfix
Keep an eye on the pushrods rubbing on the bottom of the pushrod tubes I ended up using the top tube from the OEM and the bottom tube from the kit. The OEM top tubes are about an inch shorter giving enough clearance for the collar to clear.
Good tip - thanks. I'll make sure to check this as I put it back together.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:56 AM
linewatch
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Simple lifters/pushrods question....

I am going to install new lifters also. I was wondering if I could submerge them in oil and pump the push rod end until it quits pushing out the air? I was thinking of using a capped piece of pvc pipe in a vice so I do not chase the roller. Will that work or is it a bad idea?

EDIT - After reading with the engine apart, now I get it. It needs to bleed down. It is written everywhere. I do not know why I had to hold the lifter in my hand to understand. It is a bad idea.

Last edited by linewatch; 01-17-2016 at 01:29 AM.