Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

A new TC88 question

Old 01-22-2016, 04:50 PM
ranran4
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A new TC88 question

Hello all, I did a search on this question before I posted, I did not find a similar thread.

I have an 03 heritage, as far as I can tell stock, (it does have the screaming eagle box under the seat but I'm being told that was from the factory? It revs pretty hard (box I assume) but the only mod I've done motor-wise is add '39 Sampson fishtails. Guys I ride with are mostly S&S v-twin riders (Big Dog choppers 107's and up.

Question:

What's the most bang for the buck I can do to the motor if I want more power/speed? Need it a little quicker off the light so I can keep up with the boys? I'd like to hear from people who have actually done work to theirs. Thanks.

Old 01-22-2016, 07:34 PM
jkloeker
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What's your budget look like? How attached are you to the fishtails? Not saying there is anything wrong with them, but typically don't see them on a performance built so I would guess they are far from the best choice.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:28 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ranran4
Hello all, I did a search on this question before I posted, I did not find a similar thread.

I have an 03 heritage, as far as I can tell stock, (it does have the screaming eagle box under the seat but I'm being told that was from the factory? It revs pretty hard (box I assume) but the only mod I've done motor-wise is add '39 Sampson fishtails. Guys I ride with are mostly S&S v-twin riders (Big Dog choppers 107's and up.

Question:

What's the most bang for the buck I can do to the motor if I want more power/speed? Need it a little quicker off the light so I can keep up with the boys? I'd like to hear from people who have actually done work to theirs. Thanks.
The most bang for the buck, without disassembling the engine, is to add a cam that suits your riding style. I'd start there, and if you need more you can always add a big bore kit.

Just changing the cam will have a significant effect on acceleration and performance.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:13 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by ranran4

Question:

Bore to 98" with an Andrews 26 cam set at 9.65 cr, and a set of our Stage I or II Heads.
I know you've installed those fish-fins but they are not a power pipe.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:12 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Stock bikes don't come with a SERT. So you probably at least have a Stage One.
You have many options. From just a Cam, to what Scott suggests. Can your buddies advise, or find you a mechanic?

Old 01-28-2016, 08:45 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,489 Posts

I don't know what the OP means by "it does have the screaming eagle box under the seat" but that doesn't mean SERT. SERT leaves nothing on the bike that would identify the SERT as being the fuel management system.

Old 01-28-2016, 11:39 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

I ordered my '03 in July of '02 then went about creating a list of parts my kids could purchase for Christmas, Birthday and Fathers Day. I rode her awhile as a Stage 1 then after the extended warranty I built a 95" High Compression Torque Monster. From the archives, here was my 2003 list for the 2003 FLHTCI including part numbers, torque and HP estimations as published.

Attached Thumbnails A new TC88 question-tc88-stages-and-parts.jpg  
Old 01-28-2016, 11:51 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

At the time this was created, there were canned downloads available at your H_D Dealer for your SERT for each of the build options listed. Personally, I chose to avoid the SERT and went at that time with the Power Commander USB III. Later I changed that for the Power Commander V currently on the bike. MY build is as follows; 95" Big Bore, Forged 10 1/2:1 Pistons, SE Performance Heads, 211 Cams, V&H True Duals and Monster Ovals with 18mm bungs, High Output oil pump and billet cam plate, SE Adjustable Pushrods, Doherty Myst Free Breathers, SE extra plate clutch, Revolution Performance Hot Forge Plugged and Welded and Trued Wheel ASM and final drive belt for sidecar application.

Attached Thumbnails A new TC88 question-bar-hop.jpg   A new TC88 question-harleys.jpg  
Old 01-28-2016, 04:22 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
I don't know what the OP means by "it does have the screaming eagle box under the seat" but that doesn't mean SERT. SERT leaves nothing on the bike that would identify the SERT as being the fuel management system.
I can't remember what they called it or the PN, I do remember they had a SE fuel controler like the old DFO's. I'm betting that is what the OP has.

Old 01-29-2016, 05:46 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Or is it just an S/E ignition ?
Scott

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A new TC88 question