Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

126" Rebuild-

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 08:02 PM
PWMORRIS
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts
Default 126" Rebuild-

Bike was in Dyna/FXR section and some had asked about the motor so here it is...
This rebuild was done last summer but it turned out real good and has been running great since despite me beating on it, so I thought I would post it-
This is a hi performance street build, and not for everyone, but it has met and exceeded my goals.
1. Big horsepower.
2. Easy starting and hot restarting under all conditions.
3. Able to run pump gas (currently running 91 Cal Premium)
4. Reliable and no PMS (start and go, and go...).

My twin cam S&S G2/Star 126" FXR motor was smoking after nearly 8 years of hard riding (crusing both locally and freeway, hot rodding, some dragstrip action) so we did a teardown. Initially found a bad valve guide seal, bad o ring on the gear drive pump and possibly a sticky/obstructed check valve on the pump supply side, and the rings were showing their age. Lots of oil in cam chest and quite a bit of sumping. Still some more inspection to do but no major damage and bottom end looks good. It is an amazing engine and I thought for sure I would have blown it up the way I ride but it never did. It has been so good to me for so many years and about 30k was on the clock when it wore out.
Bumped compression with a piston upgrade (.10 over) but still run pump gas, .675 S&S ez start cams, S&S premium lifters with limiters, 1.7 roller rockers on intake/1.6 exhaust and B2 heads were sent out for some work as well as new springs and valves.
Lower end inspection looked good so it was time for some new and refreshed parts.

Some of the bad-

Cylinders actually looked pretty good and with a 10 over clean up turned out beautiful so far and oil pressure is very strong-

We had pulled out the stock S&S lifters and replaced them with Jims hydrosolids a few years ago which were quite a bit quieter. They had some wear but overall looked pretty good. New S&S Premium lifters with limiters are in there now.

Pulled primary to upgrade clutch as it was slipping with the new build and found this-luck, just in time before it blew up. Replaced with a Bandit shoe, and all good now.

Old clutch was a Rivera with AIM which help the old 154/150 crate motor but it couldn't take the upgrade so a full Bandit with MTC lock up took care of that-

Now for some more new stuff-
Heads redone by SA Racing, and they flow very nicely now...

New .675 S&S EZ start cams (had .640 regular cams before)-Love these things!

New CP pistons with coated skirts to bump up the comp some...

More reassembly-

Manifold plenum also ported by SA Racing, and carbs fully modded by XXX (SA was going to do them as he did on my race bike but it was during race season and I couldn't wait).

My JBV Racing Guppy pipe was worn out and dented by me from hard cornering and general abuse so a new baffle and meg was installed-

After being tuned-

And how the bike looks-

Also want to thank everyone who helped on the rebuild project as quality parts and talent, with NO shortcuts are key to a successful build.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:05 PM
PWMORRIS
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

Also, bike front end is blacked out now...

Old 02-03-2016, 08:11 PM
ultra_classic
Club Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by PWMORRIS
Bike was in Dyna/FXR section and some had asked about the motor so here it is...
This rebuild was done last summer but it turned out real good and has been running great since despite me beating on it, so I thought I would post it-
This is a hi performance street build, and not for everyone, but it has met and exceeded my goals.
1. Big horsepower.
2. Easy starting and hot restarting under all conditions.
3. Able to run pump gas (currently running 91 Cal Premium)
4. Reliable and no PMS (start and go, and go...).

My twin cam S&S G2/Star 126" FXR motor was smoking after nearly 8 years of hard riding (crusing both locally and freeway, hot rodding, some dragstrip action) so we did a teardown. Initially found a bad valve guide seal, bad o ring on the gear drive pump and possibly a sticky/obstructed check valve on the pump supply side, and the rings were showing their age. Lots of oil in cam chest and quite a bit of sumping. Still some more inspection to do but no major damage and bottom end looks good. It is an amazing engine and I thought for sure I would have blown it up the way I ride but it never did. It has been so good to me for so many years and about 30k was on the clock when it wore out.
Bumped compression with a piston upgrade (.10 over) but still run pump gas, .675 S&S ez start cams, S&S premium lifters with limiters, 1.7 roller rockers on intake/1.6 exhaust and B2 heads were sent out for some work as well as new springs and valves.
Lower end inspection looked good so it was time for some new and refreshed parts.

Some of the bad-

Cylinders actually looked pretty good and with a 10 over clean up turned out beautiful so far and oil pressure is very strong-

We had pulled out the stock S&S lifters and replaced them with Jims hydrosolids a few years ago which were quite a bit quieter. They had some wear but overall looked pretty good. New S&S Premium lifters with limiters are in there now.

Pulled primary to upgrade clutch as it was slipping with the new build and found this-luck, just in time before it blew up. Replaced with a Bandit shoe, and all good now.

Old clutch was a Rivera with AIM which help the old 154/150 crate motor but it couldn't take the upgrade so a full Bandit with MTC lock up took care of that-

Now for some more new stuff-
Heads redone by SA Racing, and they flow very nicely now...

New .675 S&S EZ start cams (had .640 regular cams before)-Love these things!

New CP pistons with coated skirts to bump up the comp some...

More reassembly-

Manifold plenum also ported by SA Racing, and carbs fully modded by XXX (SA was going to do them as he did on my race bike but it was during race season and I couldn't wait).

My JBV Racing Guppy pipe was worn out and dented by me from hard cornering and general abuse so a new baffle and meg was installed-

After being tuned-
HD FXR streetbike on pump gas - YouTube

And how the bike looks-

Also want to thank everyone who helped on the rebuild project as quality parts and talent, with NO shortcuts are key to a successful build.
sounds awesome, now i have read about your bike twice [hd forum - and aim]

Old 02-03-2016, 08:24 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

Incredible bike man! Keep on doing what you're doing! Post results when you redyno the new build.

You should change your forum name to BigMoney$$$$.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:42 PM
azlou66
Road Captain

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by HD Bobber
Incredible bike man! Keep on doing what you're doing! Post results when you redyno the new build.
$$$.
Dynu numberz, I suppose you want to know what the heads flow also. Most racers keep that info to themselves, or LIE.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:44 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by azlou66
Dynu numberz, I suppose you want to know what the heads flow also. Most racers keep that info to themselves, or LIE.
Ha, I know the bike is badass since the last setup made power in the mid 150

Old 02-03-2016, 10:09 PM
monster715
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Man I love this bike thanks for the pics man. That things gotta be making well north of mid 150........

Old 02-04-2016, 06:35 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Bad to the bone!!

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:22 AM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 250 Posts

The article says 172HP...

Old 02-04-2016, 10:55 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,792 Likes on 3,303 Posts

Is that abike that could compete in MotoGP at indianapolis.?

I would imagine you would really be able to open it up, there....

Do you have any land speed times or anything like that?

Quick Reply: 126" Rebuild-