Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

88 twin cam tensioner replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 09:44 PM
Ratrodflstf
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 twin cam tensioner replacement

Need to replace cam tensioners in my 88 twin cam. 55000 km. Cash is an issue. I woukd like to go hydraulic new cams and the 95 big bore kit etc but i cant afford it this year. I beleive i can get stock tensioners , cometic gasket kit , cam locking tool , and cam bearings for under $500 CND. Not affraid to tackle myself ive had top end off for head gaskets. Looking for any tips , advice , or things to watch for prior to tearing her down. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Priced parts from ebay and J&P. Mostly likely will order from local shop. Anywhere i should check for cheap parts? Go easy on me. If i had the cash i would do a full rebuild. Thanks

Old 02-22-2016, 07:33 AM
Jackpot Johnnie
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts
Old 02-22-2016, 08:36 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Replace tensioner shoes with CYCO shoes, not OEM. The first link in the previous post includes the shoes and the install tool. Don't need the cam locking tool; the pinion and rear cam bolts are only torqued to 25 and 35 foot pounds; you can hold them with the rear brake. You will need R/R tools for the inner cam bearings or go the caveman route by renting a blind hole puller to remove and an old cam to reinstall. In the lower 48, retail vendors like Auto Zone and Advanced Auto have blind hole pullers for rent; deposit returned when the tool is returned in good condition. One of the removed cams can be used as a "driver" to tap the bearings into place. Freeze the bearings overnight, assembly lube in the bearing boss, tap them in numbers facing out. Insert finger to make sure all the rollers are rolling, sometimes they get cocked during the install.

Do you have the service manual for your bike? If not, get one; the HD manual, not Clymer. If you don't have the cash for the manual, maybe some kind soul on the forum will copy Section 3 and send it to you.

What cams are you planning to install?