Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

T-Man 120R - 124 Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 09:52 PM
dbr1990
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Boarzilla !

Old 06-06-2016, 09:59 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Want the best of the best. Get a Burns pipe!

Old 08-14-2016, 10:51 PM
HFS
Club Member
Received 307 Likes on 194 Posts

Ah - So The wonders never cease.

Four weeks ago my wife and I were still on yet another epic vacation ride. 10,000 km into it. She was running well, but the oil was getting up there in mileage. Also it was running in the 250-260 F zone. That is including an oil cooler, and Love Jugs when slow / stopped.

I got the oil changed in Golden Colorado. and we continued toward Ouray. The temps got high. +300F at elevation on the dipstick thermometer, but the fairing mount was just north of 260 F. [odd]

I did some reading regarding elevation and cooling. The 11.2:1 compression coupled with the lower cooling ability at elevation. [Of course the two up plus all our crap didn't help either...]

To get to the point the engine died in Utah. I got towed to Zion HD, and had to recover the motorcycle by truck a week and a half later.

After following [chasing] this rabbit for long enough, I'm going to look at a S&S 124 LC. This is just getting silly throwing good money after bad.

I don't want to total the $$$ put into this engine, but it's close to a new Fatboy [for example].

We shall see.

H

Old 08-19-2016, 11:43 PM
FlaHeatWave
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by FLHXHS
Ah - So The wonders never cease.

Four weeks ago my wife and I were still on yet another epic vacation ride. 10,000 km into it. She was running well, but the oil was getting up there in mileage. Also it was running in the 250-260 F zone. That is including an oil cooler, and Love Jugs when slow / stopped.

I got the oil changed in Golden Colorado. and we continued toward Ouray. The temps got high. +300F at elevation on the dipstick thermometer, but the fairing mount was just north of 260 F. [odd]

I did some reading regarding elevation and cooling. The 11.2:1 compression coupled with the lower cooling ability at elevation. [Of course the two up plus all our crap didn't help either...]

To get to the point the engine died in Utah. I got towed to Zion HD, and had to recover the motorcycle by truck a week and a half later.

After following [chasing] this rabbit for long enough, I'm going to look at a S&S 124 LC. This is just getting silly throwing good money after bad.

I don't want to total the $$$ put into this engine, but it's close to a new Fatboy [for example].

We shall see.

H
Truly a Bummer!! I can relate... 40 mi. South of Pueblo, CO, the front intake Lifter grenaded the StageIII 110 in the '09

Any idea what caused your 124 fail?? How many KMs / Miles on the 124 Build?

The 124 LC is tough to beat in my book... If any problems with my 117, I'm going to look hard at one.

Old 08-20-2016, 09:10 AM
HFS
Club Member

FlaHeatWave,

Well as far as the cause i'm still not 100%. What I did find was the spark plug anode ceramic insulator broke off, and a shard fell into the combustion chamber. Hitting the cylinder head 3000 times per minute, the motor was quickly shutoff and coasted to the right side of the highway.

IDK if you'll see the panoramic, but this is I-15, just north of exit 42. The tree provided shade for two hours, while waiting for roadside.

Comparing the two sparkplugs, you can see the insulator has fallen down and a shard broken off.

Some metal on the backside of the intake valve.

Hammering the head to a nice hammered finish...

Top of piston also has some dings.

Nikisil liner coming off

A better view of nikisil.

At this point I'm curious to see what HD comes out with for 2017. I'm 98% sure the 124 LC is the way forward. I'm gonna have to pull the oil pan, and have heard it's easier to just replace it.

The motor had 10,000 km on it before grenading. I know heat is a contributing factor, but the Pulsar sparkplug did break down.

Since I am now moving into an outage @ work, I am basically done for the summer. [I know - it's still August.] But the overtime will help pay for whatever direction I go. The FLHX has 120,000 km on the odometer - but the 96" sitting next to me has 30,000 km. So I could go that way too...

Why does this feel like a winter post...?

L8r
H

Old 08-25-2016, 11:17 PM
FlaHeatWave
Road Captain

FlaHeatWave,

Well as far as the cause i'm still not 100%. What I did find was the spark plug anode ceramic insulator broke off, and a shard fell into the combustion chamber. Hitting the cylinder head 3000 times per minute, the motor was quickly shutoff and coasted to the right side of the highway.

IDK if you'll see the panoramic, but this is I-15, just north of exit 42. The tree provided shade for two hours, while waiting for roadside.

Comparing the two sparkplugs, you can see the insulator has fallen down and a shard broken off.

Some metal on the backside of the intake valve.

Hammering the head to a nice hammered finish...

Top of piston also has some dings.

Nikisil liner coming off

A better view of nikisil.

At this point I'm curious to see what HD comes out with for 2017. I'm 98% sure the 124 LC is the way forward. I'm gonna have to pull the oil pan, and have heard it's easier to just replace it.

The motor had 10,000 km on it before grenading. I know heat is a contributing factor, but the Pulsar sparkplug did break down.

Since I am now moving into an outage @ work, I am basically done for the summer. [I know - it's still August.] But the overtime will help pay for whatever direction I go. The FLHX has 120,000 km on the odometer - but the 96" sitting next to me has 30,000 km. So I could go that way too...

Why does this feel like a winter post...?

L8r
H
Man! What a Bummer!!!

Old 08-26-2016, 12:41 PM
HFS
Club Member

Yeah - I'm considering the 124 LC or the new motorcycle.

The new motorcycle has a warranty

The 124 has a warranty.

In Canada $32k for a new motorcycle.
I've got a line in a 124 LC for $6000 USD plus the drill and lines kit

Oil pan.
Oil cooler

Etc etc.

Old 08-26-2016, 03:58 PM
FlaHeatWave
Road Captain

Yeah - I'm considering the 124 LC or the new motorcycle.

The new motorcycle has a warranty

The 124 has a warranty.

In Canada $32k for a new motorcycle.
I've got a line in a 124 LC for $6000 USD plus the drill and lines kit

Oil pan.
Oil cooler

Etc etc.
These failures appear to be self inflicted, improper assembly, improper break-in (riding an IBA for the break-in to get the initial Tune...Really? what did you expect???) IDK if the Pulstar plugs work with the Ion Sensing, I do know that the HD plugs or Champion RA8HC work well with it...

I'd go with the new bike... Although I am a fan of the 124LC, the same results will happen with your break-in procedure and Plugs...

The following users liked this post:
HFS (08-28-2016)
Old 08-28-2016, 04:27 PM
HFS
Club Member

Motor is out.

Ohhhh Shiny.

Mess everywhere - Motor is out. Beer O'clock

Last edited by HFS; 08-28-2016 at 04:28 PM. Reason: bad language
Old 08-28-2016, 05:31 PM
soft 02