Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

question - any internal breathing issues with using torrington cam bearings in 2013 TC stock motor / 57h cams?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 09:28 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts
Default question - any internal breathing issues with using torrington cam bearings in 2013 TC stock motor / 57h cams?

Heard that going to torrington bearings in the current TC motor can cause oil/air breathing issues since the motor uses the gaps in the INA bearings as part of the internal breathing system. the torrington caged bearing design sort of plugs that up (apparently).
Is there merit to this / any of you builders been seeing excessive blow-by or other oiling issues associated with use of torringtons? I have a set of 57h chain cams going in, stock motor. will also be using johnson/hylift lifters, stock cam plate and stock oil pump. about 4k miles on bike total. will not do any motor work beyond cams.

Is there merit to using the Axtell oil bypass kit, and/or the SE oil pump and cam plate with a mild cam upgrade? Any seasoned advice from knowledgeable engine builders is appreciated. I know Evo's inside and out but TCs are still new to me in respect to their specific quirks, gotcha's, etc.

Last edited by LA_Dog; 03-21-2016 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:32 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,785 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Subscribed.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:42 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,024 Likes on 1,496 Posts

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
Heard that going to torrington bearings in the current TC motor can cause oil/air breathing issues since the motor uses the gaps in the INA bearings as part of the internal breathing system. the torrington caged bearing design sort of plugs that up. Is there merit to this / any of you builders been seeing excessive blow-by or other oiling issues associated with use of torringtons? I have a set of 57h chain cams going in, stock motor. will also be using johnson/hylift lifters, stock cam plate and stock oil pump. about 4k miles on bike total. will not do any motor work beyond cams.

Is there merit to using the Axtell oil bypass kit, and/or the SE oil pump and cam plate with a mild cam upgrade? Any seasoned advice from knowledgeable engine builders is appreciated. I know Evo's inside and out but TCs are still new to me in respect to their specific quirks, gotcha's, etc.
It would help knowing if the 2013 stock motor is a 96" or 103". In either case, there are better cam choices as the 57 cams need more than stock compression for optimum performance, but that's your call.

Never heard that the full compliment bearings can cause breathing issues in the TC motor. Would like to know how the INA bearings facilitate crank venting; always keep an open mind and ready to learn but don't see any issue here. Sounds like one of those things that the "over thinkers" come up with in their spare time.

I have not used the Axtell bypass kit but, in principle, it sounds like a decent piece of hardware but, IMHO, more of a "nice to have if you want one" option than one needed for a cam only upgrade. I like the SE billet plate/pump upgrade for the later models but, again, more of a nice to have upgrade than a needed one. If funds are available though, why not? Better money spent there than on a piece of eye candy chrome. Not a fan of the Johnson lifters; S&S standards would be a better choice IMHO................

Last edited by djl; 03-21-2016 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:56 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Install the upgraded bearings, OE pump, OE plate, S&S std lifters, a good adjustable pushrod loading the lifter to .140", and the cam that will work with your riding wants/needs.
No more complicated than that, and if anyone is telling you different, I'd do an about face, and walk quickly away from them.
No time for such nonsense.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
The following users liked this post:
rauchman (03-21-2016)
Old 03-21-2016, 10:56 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks djl - 103" motor- sorry was not aware HD was still building 96" motors for softails as of 2013.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:02 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
Install the upgraded bearings, OE pump, OE plate, S&S std lifters, a good adjustable pushrod loading the lifter to .140", and the cam that will work with your riding wants/needs.
No more complicated than that, and if anyone is telling you different, I'd do an about face, and walk quickly away from them.
Scott
thanks Scott- I will take your input as gospel, appreciate you chiming in. that's essentially what I was looking for / a cut through the BS from pro builders.

Do you see any issue with using the johnson/hylift lifters? I essentially have a free set here, the specs do seem better than the stockers and I could not find any negative reviews. Previously I've always used SS.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:22 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,024 Likes on 1,496 Posts

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
Thanks djl - 103" motor- sorry was not aware HD was still building 96" motors for softails as of 2013.
Yeah, there were 96" softails in 2013. Just to clarify my comment on cam choice, I was not suggesting that the 57 cams will not work or are not a good choice; just a personal bias I have toward more compression than the 57 will generate as a cam only upgrade in a stock compression in a 103"...............

Old 03-21-2016, 11:35 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by djl
Yeah, there were 96" softails in 2013. Just to clarify my comment on cam choice, I was not suggesting that the 57 cams will not work or are not a good choice; just a personal bias I have toward more compression than the 57 will generate as a cam only upgrade in a stock compression in a 103"...............
Thanks djl- Yep totally got you on that one, this was purely a choice based on what I think will fit my bike better right now. Granted the optimal CR for the 57h will be about 10:1, and my stocker is probably running on the good side of 9.7:1 going by SOTP. I liked the slightly later intake close of the 57h due to my 3.15 overall final drive ratio and where I usually ride my RPMs. I'll drop it in, tune, see how she runs- I can always put in a set of .030 cometic's if needed to bump CR.

Old 03-21-2016, 02:35 PM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 237 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
Scott
Scott, I've seen you post several times that you believe the stock cam plate is good. Do you still feel that way about the new ones without the bushing in the center?

A local Indy has had several of the newer models come in for cam upgrades and found aluminium stuck to the crank from the plate. I would imagine the larger runout spec on the crank doesn't help. Anyone else seen that?

Old 03-21-2016, 03:01 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Had 1, 124" with a cam plate issue, 1 time, in that area.
OE plates work AOK 99.8% of the time, from what we've seen.
Scott

Quick Reply: question - any internal breathing issues with using torrington cam bearings in 2013 TC stock motor / 57h cams?