Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

124R Build - long story

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 09:09 AM
HFS
Club Member
Received 307 Likes on 194 Posts
Default 124R Build - long story

T-man is what my current build is - 120R + T-Man 662-2 cams. I recommend this if you are a tourer and like hills and torque vs. HP

After my buddy picked up his brand new 2015 FLTRXS from the local dealer, and some of the phuckups they did on the wiring, the fairing, the back rest etc - I was convinced I wouldn't be bringing my motorcycle to them ever.

My Bad:
Halloween last year one of my wife's colleagues wanted a picture on one of our HDs. My wife has a deluxe, so click. I said you want a picture on mine? I don't really mind, he's the only dude teacher and the PE teacher at that - ha ha. Besides it's his birthday as well as halloween. Anyhow I asked if he wanted to fire it up, it's on the lift in neutral. I kick it over, and she growls to life. The bad is the fact I'm on beer 7 or 8, and I did almost a WOT roar to be an a$$hole. Two days later, I spot weeping out of the front cylinder head. [head gasket leak...]

Ok, ok I know, I know.

So at least I have something to do over the loooooooong winter right? I had all the gaskets and such, I'll pull the heads, have a look, clean it up, and voila!

Unfortunately, the rear exhaust outer valve spring was broken. This is the sad and weepy part of the story, oh my brothers and only friends...

Broken valve spring, hmmm, so I did some quick research, and everyone has an opinion. So I said screw it and ordered Woods lifters and valve springs. Once I got them here, I began to wonder if there may be some other issues with the heads... Maybe I should send them away for a service, one that can be done better than I can do in my garage.

After pondering where to send them, I chose T-Man performance, as they have a specific to the 120R head upgrade program. I called and talked to Charlie, and explained my situation. He said there is a bit of a backlog, so the heads won't ship til the end of February. No Biggie.

I get a call on my cel phone whilst at work about three weeks later. It is TR Riser himself. He wanted to personally explain the situation. My heads were done, however the program increased the cylinder head volume, as well as a port n polish and complete rebuild of the heads. Problem: my pistons would not generate adequate compression and this -may- result in a power loss not gain.

TR offered a piston swap, but part of the beauty of my original plan was I could leave the pistons and cylinders alone... This was not to be the case. He offered me a deal on the 124R piston and cylinder kit. I originally wanted this option, but was prohibited by the CAD vs USD exchange rate. The price lessened, I squeezed the trigger.

Disassembly was fairly painless, assembly was good, check it thrice... and soon it was time to slowly rotate the engine. However with the heads being shaved 0.047" the 'perfect fit' pushrods were too long. Adjustables were required.

Smith Brothers is the name passed on to me, and I went to seek them out. I called Smith Bros, and I must of got the new guy. He knew little about HD, and wasn't very helpful. I soon found out that all the main vendors we use here have smith brothers pushrods, and etch their logos on the sides. T-man sells Smiths - So yet another order was placed.

The Adjustables are NOT quickee, and so they need to be installed from the rocker box. No biggie, as I didn't want to cut the perfect fit pushrods. I did purchase some evo push rod tubes, however looking now, I may have been able to get away with the stock ones... Oh well.

The intake had to come off to do the pushrods and snap that damn retaining clip in. Everything once again checked and checked, and checked.

Just at the point of placing the tank back on, and firing up. It snowed last night, so no break in today...

I've read 146/145 hp/tq but we shall see what magic Russel can do once I get the preliminary done, and ride to Nanaimo. I'm not a numbers guy, but I do try to make improvements through failures.

I could have dropped the springs on and walked away I guess. I have a 2.0 liter engine in my motorcycle now. My first car had a 1.7 liter engine.

This is gonna be awesome.

H

Last edited by HFS; 04-03-2016 at 09:11 AM. Reason: better intro
Old 04-03-2016, 09:35 AM
slick hd
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

That sounds like a lot fun times coming up you better hang on lol.

Old 04-03-2016, 04:19 PM
Tat2u
Road Warrior
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Why did the intake have to come off to fit your push rods? And which retaining clip are you talking about?
Also you can usually fit adjustables by taking off the lifter block rather than going in through the top.

Will be a good end result though

Old 04-03-2016, 06:40 PM
HFS
Club Member

Originally Posted by Tat2u
Why did the intake have to come off to fit your push rods? And which retaining clip are you talking about?
Also you can usually fit adjustables by taking off the lifter block rather than going in through the top.

Will be a good end result though
Intake had to come off as the intake pushrod tube clips were being bastards.

I pulled the rockers as i had the perfect fit in there. Apparently not perfect fit after they shaved 0.047" off the heads.

No biggie. Bought adjustables. Dropped in from the top.

H

Old 04-03-2016, 07:10 PM
HFS
Club Member

Dropped the oil, changed filter and refilled with HD Dino oil.
I have a FilterMag on the oil filter and Dimple drain plug magnets.

Did heat cycle #1, warmed til heads between warm and hot. [~45 seconds?]

Gonna go seat the rings when the weather warms [it is -3ºC today]

Bang around a bit and drop the oil after 20 miles.

Re-dino oil to 1000ish miles [1600 km]. Synthetic and ride to see Lonewolf.

H

Old 04-04-2016, 01:00 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Sounds like an incredible build, looking forward to the results!

Old 04-04-2016, 06:22 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

The power output is right in line with what we have seen time and again with that 662-2 cam, or a Wood 9F in a 124" build.
Makes for a powerful touring combo!
Nice.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning