Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

98" Build cyclerama 575 vs Wood 5/G/6

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 09:41 AM
Bruskie
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98" Build cyclerama 575 vs Wood 5/G/6

I removed this post. Sorry, I didn't know it was not cool to narrow my choices on the forum. My apologies.

Last edited by Bruskie; 04-25-2016 at 05:27 PM. Reason: removing post
Old 04-25-2016, 03:20 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruskie
Talked to Scott at Hillside this morning and I am going with a 98" build, stage 2 heads, 0.030" cometic and a little tweaking on the throttle body. We narrowed it down to either a Cycle Rama 575 or Wood 5/G/6 cam. I am looking for quick torque response that keeps building well into the mid-range. I don't race the bike but I do bang it through the gears now and then and I love a STRONG roll on. It's a light bike, Dyna Street Bob and I only weigh 150 pounds. I usually ride solo. I would really appreciate hearing from anyone with one of these builds. Thanks everyone
You are asking us when you are working with Scott and his heads?

Old 04-27-2016, 05:55 PM
Tedwilliams09
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Here is the best answer I can give... And I am speaking from experience.. Be honest with Scott on what you want and let him pick the Cam...

The man has forgot more about cams then most of the people that will respond... (although in all due respect to Scott, I am not sure if he has ever forgotten anything)

Old 04-27-2016, 09:18 PM
ntraindavefl
Road Warrior
Received 333 Likes on 234 Posts

I removed this post. Sorry, I didn't know it was not cool to narrow my choices on the forum. My apologies.
Don't let anyone shame you into retracting a question.

Scott might say "cam choice is up to you", I get that and the forum is a good place to ask. They are similar low/mid range cams requiring similar compression.

The cr575 has worked real well for me when set up correctly.
However I would caution anyone to use cyclerama for anything else that requires communication and details. UNLESS YOU WANT.........

1. them to tell you to drop off your heads when they're closed.
2. to get the wrong pistons in your kit.
3. to get the wrong A/C for your model
4. to have them set head compression waaay wrong ignoring the work order sheet.
5. them to tell you they never make a mistake even tho your psi is 215 and no comp releases
6. them to say you're eating starters because of crappy battery cables instead of the compression error they made
7. them to argue with extreme arrogance they could not have f'd up only to measure heads after disassembly and admit they DID f*ck up
8. them to offer NO recourse for the suffering they put a customer through.

So take this info however you like, support whichever company you like, the cams are very similar. Mr Wood makes GREAT cams, I run some of his as well.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:46 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,491 Posts

No need for apologies and nothing wrong with going to the forum for advice; that is what forums are for. My post was tongue in cheek; no disrespect intended. However, you are working with Hillside/Scott one of the premier builder/porters of VTwin motors and using his heads. It would seem to me that Scott would be the logical and best source to go to for cam selection as opposed to putting the choice in the hands of a bunch of forum members, some of which have probably never run either cam but will have an opinion anyway.

I know nothing about Cyclerama as a business but since you are working with Scott, Cyclerama's business practices have no relevance to or should influence your cam choice; you are just considering buying their hardware. As TW09 points out, just have an honest discussion with Scott about the details of your build, i.e., exhaust, tuner, how you ride the bike, where you want the power, etc. and rely on Scott to point you in the right direction on cam selection................

Old 05-01-2016, 08:49 PM
Bruskie
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for the feedback over the last few weeks. Scott picked the Cyclorama 575 for the build with the Timken bearings. We're doing his stage 2 heads, S&S pushrods/lifters, porting the intake, Techno Research tuning key & they will do the Dyno tune. We're removing the Andrews 26 and PC3. I already have SE II slip-ons and they will go well with this build. Scott tells me it will put a big smile on my face and that's all I want to hear. I'm glad I found Hillside through these forums and the respect everyone has for Scott. I'll post the dyno sheet after I pick it up and fill everyone in after I get her broken in. Thanks again.
Bruskie