Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Should I be pi$$ed or am I making something out of nothing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 11:22 AM
Mberlin74
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Should I be pi$$ed or am I making something out of nothing?

Ok so I received a set of Andrews 54H cams a while back. I began my rebuild last week and found that one of the cams wouldn't fit into the inner cam bearing. Upon closer inspection (with a micrometer) I found that the rear cam was more than ten thousands of an inch too big. I called Andrews and they said that it was an almost impossible happening but it looked like the rear cam was somehow packaged for sale before going through it's last stage of grinding. I was bummed but that's life. They sent me out another one and paid the shipping. I had to send back the out of spec rear cam but they wouldn't cover what it cost me to ship it back which was almost $30 CAD. Now I know that $30 isn't a ton of money, but to me if a company made a mistake and sent out a product that wasn't ready for consumer use, shouldn't they own that mistake and cover the cost to fix it? I wanted to send them an email (not a dick email) letting them know how I felt about it but know that sometimes I make a bigger deal out of things than needs to be made.

I'd love to hear your opinions.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:31 AM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member
Received 728 Likes on 559 Posts

I'd let em know. They made a mistake and need to make it right with as little impact on the customer as possible. You already have to wait, with your ride in pieces, to get the replacement, why should you have to pay shipping? They might be a bit more responsive after you get the replacement, it fits the bearing, they receive the original, and see that it is out of spec.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:32 AM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Received 565 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by Mberlin74
Ok so I received a set of Andrews 54H cams a while back. I began my rebuild last week and found that one of the cams wouldn't fit into the inner cam bearing. Upon closer inspection (with a micrometer) I found that the rear cam was more than ten thousands of an inch too big. I called Andrews and they said that it was an almost impossible happening but it looked like the rear cam was somehow packaged for sale before going through it's last stage of grinding. I was bummed but that's life. They sent me out another one and paid the shipping. I had to send back the out of spec rear cam but they wouldn't cover what it cost me to ship it back which was almost $30 CAD. Now I know that $30 isn't a ton of money, but to me if a company made a mistake and sent out a product that wasn't ready for consumer use, shouldn't they own that mistake and cover the cost to fix it? I wanted to send them an email (not a dick email) letting them know how I felt about it but know that sometimes I make a bigger deal out of things than needs to be made.

I'd love to hear your opinions.

Did they send you out the cam before they had the other one back? This is a pretty decent move. Most in this industry would require their cam/ part to be sent back and checked by them for validation before sending out another cam. Or they will charge you and then reimburse after defect is found.

Did you buy the cam straight from Andrews?

Old 05-26-2016, 11:32 AM
Northern Glide
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,913 Likes on 2,812 Posts

Once they get the bad cam back, see it for themselves, perhaps they'll change their tune and reimburse your expenses after the fact. Obviously their problem and they should man up.
Keep the receipts and keep us posted - companies usually don't like the bad press.
Post back for sure if they go silent on you after receipt of the bad cam.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:33 AM
baloot-boy
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

You are correct. They should cover it. Id hit them up.

Old 05-26-2016, 01:04 PM
Mberlin74
Cruiser

Originally Posted by hrdtail78
Did they send you out the cam before they had the other one back? This is a pretty decent move. Most in this industry would require their cam/ part to be sent back and checked by them for validation before sending out another cam. Or they will charge you and then reimburse after defect is found.
Originally they wouldn't but I really needed it back asap so they agreed to only if I gave them my CC number so they could charge me if I didn't send back the out of spec cam. The ironic thing is that later that day I had an accident with a ladder and it looks like I wont be riding most of, if not all of this season. So freakin bummed I can't find the words.

Last edited by Mberlin74; 05-26-2016 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:20 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

I've had companies that sent me the wrong item tell me no to bother sending the wrong item back. Amazon is one of those.

Given the size of Andrews, and their survival on reputation, they should have told you to keep the wrong cam. What are they going to do...fix it and sell it as new? I hope not. Cost of doing business and treating your valued customers well.

Old 05-26-2016, 01:21 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

It does state in their policies that you must pay the freight on the return item, even defective items. I sent cams to Australia for $35USD, what transpired that cost you $30CAD to go from Canada to Ill.? Seems a touch out of hand doesn't it?

Old 05-26-2016, 01:27 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
I've had companies that sent me the wrong item tell me no to bother sending the wrong item back. Amazon is one of those.
Same here. I ordered some large bolts, like 5/8 diameter X 6" long a while back. I ordered the wrong thread size & put that as the reason in my return request.

Their answer was something like..... "Hey, we know these things happen sometimes, just keep them....."

Awesome company.

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 05-26-2016, 01:54 PM
Mberlin74
Cruiser

Originally Posted by qtrracer
It does state in their policies that you must pay the freight on the return item, even defective items. I sent cams to Australia for $35USD, what transpired that cost you $30CAD to go from Canada to Ill.? Seems a touch out of hand doesn't it?
Agreed. And that was for one cam! It was about $20 USD. Agreed it's expensive but that's what I get for moving back here. Everything is WAY overpriced here from what I've experienced over the last 6 years. Canadian postal service at it's finest. When I sell the CVO 255's that I have I'll wait and ship from when I'm back in the US end of June.

Last edited by Mberlin74; 05-27-2016 at 07:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Should I be pi$$ed or am I making something out of nothing?