Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Going 117", need too make a cam choice...

Old 06-30-2016, 12:36 AM
mike_oh
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Are you going to beef up the crank?

Old 06-30-2016, 06:58 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

We have high profile sponsors who can supply a complete package of matching parts, to get the best out of any upgrade such as this, including cams etc. I would start by picking up the phone!

Old 06-30-2016, 12:03 PM
FXDFan
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yup done the GR, waiting on Scott to get back to me. He did a bang up job on my last 103".

Nope to crank work, when it lets go (and I'm fairly certain it will at some point) that will be the impetus to get that 124 I always wanted lol.

Old 06-30-2016, 04:13 PM
PWMORRIS
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by FXDFan
Yup done the GR, waiting on Scott to get back to me. He did a bang up job on my last 103".

Nope to crank work, when it lets go (and I'm fairly certain it will at some point) that will be the impetus to get that 124 I always wanted lol.
How you ride will directly affect how long the stock crank will last with 117" over it. If it is going in that bagger, that's a half ton of mass that is going to be stressing that flywheel with a lot more torque applied to it.
http://www.hotbikeweb.com/building-stout-twin-cam-crank
Lugging, hole shots, slamming rear brake and locking it up in gear, wheelies, revving to limiter regularly, and other fun stuff will decide the fate of your stock bottom end. With this upgrade, you are essentially doubling the hp over stock. Harley built the flywheel to handle stock type power...

No different that building a house or other structure. Start with a strong foundation and go up from there.
But hey, sounds like you are cool if and when it goes so grip it and rip it!!!

Last edited by PWMORRIS; 06-30-2016 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:17 PM
FXDFan
Tourer

Yup I get that. I don't do rolling burnouts, brake stands, wheelies etc.. Because that's hard on stuff lol. No drag racing, stunt work etc. It's a bagger, I just want a fast bagger.
That being said, I have a buddy with an '07 RG 96" that has the usual, cams, pipe etc, and it sees more time bouncing off the rev limiter than idling, more rolling burnouts than you usually see at the drag races over a weekend and it hasn't moved a lick in 80,000 miles of that abuse.

So, ymmmv. I don't plan on abusing it, just like to pass quickly, a few runs up to speed when no one is around etc. I think it will be just fine. And if not, "hello? S&S?"

Old 06-30-2016, 06:59 PM
PWMORRIS
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by FXDFan
Yup I get that. I don't do rolling burnouts, brake stands, wheelies etc.. Because that's hard on stuff lol. No drag racing, stunt work etc. It's a bagger, I just want a fast bagger.
That being said, I have a buddy with an '07 RG 96" that has the usual, cams, pipe etc, and it sees more time bouncing off the rev limiter than idling, more rolling burnouts than you usually see at the drag races over a weekend and it hasn't moved a lick in 80,000 miles of that abuse.

So, ymmmv. I don't plan on abusing it, just like to pass quickly, a few runs up to speed when no one is around etc. I think it will be just fine. And if not, "hello? S&S?"
Cool, with no abuse, sounds like you will be giving it nice easy roll ons up to speed. You say it's a bagger-that makes it worse, btw, as it has a lot more weight and mass to move.
BTW, I'm guessing your buddy has maybe a 100 hp on a good day in his 96"-not a 117", with maybe 120-130 ft lbs. Apples and oranges.
Not sure you understand the load on cranks-rolling burnouts or rev limiter hits that your buddy does aren't cranks killers by themselves-that's just spinning the motor up with no resistance and the tire spinnin' but hey, gotta justify your upgrade right?
It's lugging, torque hits like hard sticky launches moving a half ton, locking up rear brakes in gear, power up shifts and downshifts loading and unloading the motor, and anything that stresses the crank beyond its capabilities that burns a stock crank-not running at high speed...
As I said, it's your coin and if you good with it, that's all that matters.

Should be a blast to ride, and base your cam profile you choose on the type of riding that you do most of the time, and it should be a real nice upgrade to what you currently have...

Last edited by PWMORRIS; 06-30-2016 at 09:29 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:29 PM
FXDFan
Tourer

Well, I'm hoping it's a blast alright. And yes, I do understand what is hard on these things. And I rarely, if ever, do any of them such antics.
So I'm expecting decent longevity. That being said, I have no illusion it's going to live forever. Hell, the sow might eat her piglets on the dyno for all I know.

I'm taking a chance, I recognize it. Oh, not trying to justify it in any way, beyond I want it, can afford it, and mostly, just want it hahaha

Old 07-01-2016, 12:26 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by PWMORRIS
Just go 124" and make sure you address the bottom end as well....
Then the OP will be wanting a 143"

Old 07-01-2016, 01:49 AM
FlaHeatWave
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

'Have the T-Man 625s in the 117 at 10.4-1, CVO Street Performer Heads, SE 58mm, pulls hard to 5900-6000...

For me, an ideal Sport Touring Bagger set-up.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:56 PM
FXDFan
Tourer

Originally Posted by Next In Line
Then the OP will be wanting a 143"
Hahahaha already do want it. But with the Cdn dollar being so poor, even a crate 124 is almost $12k on it's own. If I didn't have such a lousy year for paying taxes, I would do a 124 and be done with it.
However, gov't apparently needs my money for hospitals and road repairs more than I need a fun-time engine lol.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Going 117", need too make a cam choice...