Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Base Circle and Overlap question

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 12:10 AM
Mberlin74
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Base Circle and Overlap question

So the way I'm going to find base circle and install my push rods would be to put the opposite cam in overlap (both lifters moving at the same time). Then install both push rods on the opposite cam as that cam should now be on base circle. That seems to be the way most people do it.

A friend today told me that the better way to do it is to put your finger down onto the intake lifter and turn the trans until the lifter was at it's lowest point. He then installs the push rod on that intake side. Before moving to the exhaust side of that cam he does the same thing on the opposite cam (intake side). Then he moves to the exhaust sides of both cams. He said that was just the way he was taught and the guy who taught him told him it was a more reliable way to do it but he didn't know what the reason was.

Would like to know your opinions on the matter and what you do personally.

Old 06-30-2016, 05:51 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

100`s of ways to skin a cat.its a lot eaisier just to find TDC,with both valves closed & do both in that cyl,wait for bleed down & do the same in the other cyl.since shovel days,p/rod adjustment is one thing that has been over complicated many times

Old 06-30-2016, 07:10 AM
ntraindavefl
Road Warrior
Received 333 Likes on 234 Posts

+1 on both valves closed and one cylinder at a time.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:49 AM
markwolula
Tourer
Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts

If its your first time installing pushrods, finding tdc,, finding base circle,, etc,, some advice can be confusing from people that can do it in there sleep...
You have the theory right,, why not remove, (or leave off), the cam cover,,, get a torch and look in the cam chest, and physically see pushrods on base circle !!!!!! Use same method , if you are cutting pushrods also .... The first time you will be more confident with the install ....

Old 06-30-2016, 07:52 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,230 Likes on 1,254 Posts

I'm in the middle of a cam install now. Pushrods will be in tonight. Can anyone show a pic of what base circle looks like?

Old 06-30-2016, 07:55 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,744 Likes on 18,543 Posts
Old 06-30-2016, 07:58 AM
Eastcoast Jim
Tourer
Received 154 Likes on 101 Posts

+1 on NtrainDave's method - The way I learned- a few years ago - on solid lifter Panheads was to watch the front intake pushrod go up then back down - Intake stroke - bring that piston up to TDC - compression stroke - both front cyl valves are now closed- I stick a srewdriver in the sparkplug hole to feel the piston get it as close as you can to TDC- it won't be exact. Adjust the front pushrods, use the lifter mfg specs on how far to go. do the math,( how many threads per in are your pushrods?) Walk away - have a cup of coffee - relax - when you can spin the front pushrods easily between your fingers repeat the process on the rear cyl. They important thing is to follow the same steps in the same order each time you do it - less chance of an error. - Eastcoast Jim

Last edited by Eastcoast Jim; 06-30-2016 at 08:04 AM.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:31 AM
Mberlin74
Cruiser

Originally Posted by prodrag1320
its a lot easier just to find TDC,with both valves closed & do both in that cyl,wait for bleed down & do the same in the other cyl.

So if I was installing the pushrods on the rear cam, and I put the front cam on overlap is that the same as TDC? I read a fair amount of posts about feeling the air from the spk plg hole and using a straw in the hole to watch its lift etc., but without actually seeing it done on a video or something it's not 100% clear.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:36 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,784 Likes on 9,863 Posts

As you rotate the engine with the rear wheel, watch the pushrods move up and down. When they get to TDC, the pushrods will stop moving at the same time, MOMENTARILY. This is TDC. Rotate the engine a couple times to see the whole thing in action. It will become clear to you what we are talking about.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:54 AM
Mberlin74
Cruiser

thanks QC. I'll try that later. The push rods are out already but I can use a couple of magnetic tipped grabber rods that I have instead by dropping them down onto the lifters. So when both rods stop moving at the same time TDC is achieved and the push rods are installed on that same cam/cylinder. Is that correct?

Quick Reply: Base Circle and Overlap question