Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

2015 Dyna Switchback FLD Cam question...

Old 07-14-2016, 02:23 PM
Sosee
Advanced
Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 2015 Dyna Switchback FLD Cam question...

Hi all,
Looooooong time lurker here.
I recently bought a 2015 Dyna Switchback. (Last week) when I just couldn't reach the 2016 Street Glide Special I really wanted. Budget just couldn't take that hit. Maybe next year or year after next.

My current setup is Stock except for:
V&H Pro Pipe 2 into 1 system
Arlen Ness Inverted High flow air cleaner.
V&H Fuelpak 3

I am in the process of reading the sticky on Cams. There is a ton of great information in there but its going to take me awhile to digest it all. I have as much knowledge of Cams as a Hamster has of flying a 747 Jumbo Jet....but I am working hard to learn.

My driving style is a mix of highway 75-85mph and City stop and go.
Rush hour for me is an adventure in patience because its simply put, horrible. So my highway riding is not a solid open road by any stretch.
We can legally split lanes so I do a bit of low end acceleration and deceleration frequently.

My question is knowing the above, what SE cam would you guys start with.
I don't want to completely rebuild the motor if I can avoid it....but then again, if the best solution for the bike is to do the heads, compression etc etc, then maybe I should.

If you were going to do Bolt on, what cam would you use for reasonable gains in the low end? and modest gains in the high rpm range?

Warranty voiding is a concern of course. If I can do a different brand, say a Woods, without voiding the warranty, I am open to that.

Thanks.

Chris

Old 07-14-2016, 03:27 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,010 Likes on 1,489 Posts

Within the SE cam group, there are only two worth considering IMHO; SE204 and SE585. The SE204 could benefit from more lift and a set of 1.7 ratio rockers would be part of my plan if doing the project; at least on the intake side. The 585 gives up a little bit of compression to the 204 but has the lift. Having run the SE204 before, I would be leaning toward that cam but with the higher lift rockers. You will need to put the FP3 to the test to auto tune which will require understanding exactly how it works. Probably a good idea to contact V&H for a base map to start from; I understand their customer support for the FP3 is quite good. JMHO............

Most dealers play the warranty card if an owner wants to install an aftermarket cam; several aftermarket options to choose from. Having said that and based on your riding profile and the bike being a "lighter" dyna, I think you will be happy with either of the cams referenced above assuming that you can get the tune dialed in.....

Last edited by djl; 07-14-2016 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-14-2016, 04:02 PM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,206 Likes on 1,248 Posts

Listen to djl. He and some other folks here, like Scott from Hillside, know what they are talking about. djl helped me out with some great info for my cam install.

If it helps, I just completed putting Andrews 57H cams in my Switchback, along with new S&S lifters and their adjustable pushrods. I also have the ProPipe and FP3. When I first got my bike, like you, I started researching cams and originally wanted to stick with HD. The SE204's were the ones I would have gotten if I went with HD cams. From the dyno charts I had looked at, they seemed like the most comparable to the Andrews 57H and Woods 555 cams, but just a touch softer. I'm pretty sure the FP3 already has a base map for the SE204, as it did for the Andrews 57H cams, as it also did for just about any other cam I was considering (Woods 222 & 555, S&S MR103, etc.). I'm not sure how much credence to put into this, but I remember reading the SE204's were not the easiest to tune.

Old 07-14-2016, 06:59 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,010 Likes on 1,489 Posts

Originally Posted by rauchman
I'm not sure how much credence to put into this, but I remember reading the SE204's were not the easiest to tune.
If the 204s are set up with static above 9.8, tuning can be a challenge. With 8* advance ground in to the profile, the 204s are prone to produce detonation if ambient temps start approaching 90*. At that point, timing has to be pulled out to mitigate against the detonation; hence the tuning challenge.

Thanks for the kind words but I am not in Scott's league.......I am a caveman compared to Scott.

Old 07-15-2016, 06:09 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 815 Likes on 580 Posts

Don't short-change yourself.........you are a VERY knowegleable man, djl.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:56 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
If the 204s are set up with static above 9.8, tuning can be a challenge. With 8* advance ground in to the profile, the 204s are prone to produce detonation if ambient temps start approaching 90*. At that point, timing has to be pulled out to mitigate against the detonation; hence the tuning challenge.

Thanks for the kind words but I am not in Scott's league.......I am a caveman compared to Scott.
This was my exact experience with them. I had pre-detonation issues from day one with them with the dealer install/tune. Once I got that figured out with someone that knew what they were doing with the dyno they were great cams.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:46 AM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

Not a se cam set but my mr103 cams are pretty Damn good. May be exhaust dependant... But my combo just works. I haven't had to use the warranty so far.

Old 07-15-2016, 02:47 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 815 Likes on 580 Posts

Non H-D.........CR .575 at 10.0 cr.
Scott

Old 07-16-2016, 10:19 AM
tonebone_79
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The T-Man 555 Torquesters could be a good cam choice as well and there just so happens to be a used set on eBay rightnow. Somebody buy them so I can't, lol http://www.ebay.com/itm/T-MAN-555-TQ-TORQSTER-CHAIN-DRIVE-CAMS-FOR-07-UP-HARLEY-TWIN-CAMS-/262527225371?hash=item3d1fd78e1b:gU8AAOSwNKRXiXk B&vxp=mtr

Last edited by tonebone_79; 07-16-2016 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:08 PM
Sosee
Advanced
Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rauchman
Listen to djl. He and some other folks here, like Scott from Hillside, know what they are talking about. djl helped me out with some great info for my cam install.

If it helps, I just completed putting Andrews 57H cams in my Switchback, along with new S&S lifters and their adjustable pushrods. I also have the ProPipe and FP3. When I first got my bike, like you, I started researching cams and originally wanted to stick with HD. The SE204's were the ones I would have gotten if I went with HD cams. From the dyno charts I had looked at, they seemed like the most comparable to the Andrews 57H and Woods 555 cams, but just a touch softer. I'm pretty sure the FP3 already has a base map for the SE204, as it did for the Andrews 57H cams, as it also did for just about any other cam I was considering (Woods 222 & 555, S&S MR103, etc.). I'm not sure how much credence to put into this, but I remember reading the SE204's were not the easiest to tune.
Awesome!! Thanks for the infos!
That sounds like a really good setup to me. Of course I am total noob at this but your stuff makes sense to me.

I may end up doing the heads and pushrods etc...because I made a connection with a great mechanic who is willing to teach me how its all done as we do it together. Since I have someone now with his level of experience (30 years building custom HDs) I'd kind a have to be a fool not to open the project up full throttle and learn as much as I can.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2015 Dyna Switchback FLD Cam question...