Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Oil leak/ excessive blowby

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 06:55 PM
GoatHD
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak/ excessive blowby

Need some help from the engine gurus. I have a FM 107 (about 3 yrs old) and am experiencing my 3rd oil seepage around the lower jug area . I am not a wrencher, so paying to pull the motor and replace gaskets is getting old. Well, the reason for this post. The latest rebuild was earlier this year. Had my blowby redirected to the ground but after a 200 mile trip, the oily mist was all over my exhaust, rear wheel and covered the back of my saddlebags and fender . After that episode , I rerouted the blowby to a catch can. I try to keep the hoses clear by draining after every ride otherwise it will partially solidify. My question- If the hose gets clogged up, could it cause enough pressure to blow my lower gaskets? Is there anything else that I could check? It is getting frustrating . Thanks.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:16 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Sounds to me like you need to find the source of the blowby and fix it; it won't fix itself. Compression and leak down tests are the next steps in that process......

Old 07-21-2016, 02:58 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

The two biggest reasons for excessive oil blowby are incorrect alignment of the oil pump and poor oil separation in the cylinder heads’ breather valves. Inexperienced technicians who are installing camshafts and do not follow the correct oil pump alignment procedure when they reinstall the cam plate are responsible for most of the oil pump alignment problems. The poor oil separation up in the cylinder heads is caused by the stock breather valves being overwhelmed by the volume of oily/air mist that gets up to the valves during a really hard ride.

Donny's Unauthorized Technical Guide to Harley Davidson 1936 to Present: Volume II: Performancing the Twin Cam