Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Fuel management or Cams?

Old 08-24-2016, 06:10 AM
Weirbt
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel management or Cams?

I have a 96 CI 2010 Road King Classic with Stage I V&H Monster Ovals with true duals, V&H VO2 naked intake with stock football cover and Legacy V&H Fuel Pack. Decent off the line one up but struggles at High RPMs and quits pulling at 105 mph.

I do a lot of one up highway riding and I am looking for greater mid range torque to get me going off the light but also have good passing ability on the highway when up in 5th & 6th gears.

I have been considering Andrew 37H, 48H or S&S 585 and I am wondering if my issue is the fuel pack? I get some decal popping and the loss of pull has me considering the fuel management system before I go after cams.

What are your thoughts? A better fuel management system and which one or cams and what cams do I use?

Old 08-24-2016, 11:41 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Install a set of 48s and work with the Fuel Pack to see if you can get a tighter tune; talk to the V&H guys about revised settings. If you have the $$, bitethe bullet, sell the Fuel Pack, get the Power Vision or TTS Mastertune and a dyno tune. If still running the OEM head pipe with the CAT, replace it with the V&H Power Dual head pipe. It will be a different motorcycle. The top end struggle will be less of a struggle but it will take head work to optimize top end power.

The following users liked this post:
Weirbt (08-25-2016)
Old 08-24-2016, 03:21 PM
Weirbt
Advanced

I emailed V&H yesterday and I am waiting on a response. If nothing by tomorrow I will call them. I was thinking about reusing the push rods and tappets and using the money towards upgrading the tuner. Selling the Fuel pack would help the cause. The stock headers were replaced but I need to find out from the guy I purchased the bike from what he installed. Thanks for the advise.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:35 AM
Arseclown
Road Captain
Received 181 Likes on 100 Posts

Andrews 48 cams, a good tuner and a decent exhaust with a collector (not true duals) will provide the midrange punch you're after. The TTS base calibrations are pretty good too. Heard good things about the pv auto tune function.

The following users liked this post:
Weirbt (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 08:52 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Originally Posted by Weirbt
I emailed V&H yesterday and I am waiting on a response. If nothing by tomorrow I will call them. I was thinking about reusing the push rods and tappets and using the money towards upgrading the tuner. Selling the Fuel pack would help the cause. The stock headers were replaced but I need to find out from the guy I purchased the bike from what he installed. Thanks for the advise.
If the base circle of the selected cams is the same as the OEM base circle, no issues with the OEM push rods and if mileage is less than 25K and the lifters are operating properly (they are the "B" lifter), use them as well. Arseclown is right on the exhaust as well, if the system is a 2:1:2, better mid range than 2:2.

Old 08-25-2016, 12:07 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

That 48 works well in a 96".
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:51 PM
Weirbt
Advanced

Thanks all for the feed back. Heard from V&H tonight for a slight mod to the FuelPak. Hope it makes a difference.
Ordered the Andrew 48H, S&S cam install kit and Cometic rocker box cover gasket kit.
Exhaust and fuel management system is gonna have to wait.

Old 08-27-2016, 09:27 AM
Weirbt
Advanced

Received two different code changes from two different V&H techs for the Fuel Pak and both mods made my bike run worse than the original code did. Back to original settings and going to start saving my pennies for a FMS upgrade after cam job. Found out with the original Fuel Pak & after cam upgrade that the code would need be set up for a 103 ci and not my 96 and this is going to make my bike run rich. Not happy with V&H's reply.

Old 08-28-2016, 03:45 AM
slodsm
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 215 Posts

I don't understand what you did here. You got vance and hines to send you a new map for your bike with cams, loaded the map before you installed your cams and it runs worse? If that's correct, what did you expect to happen? You mapped it for parts you haven't installed yet.

Old 08-28-2016, 08:30 AM
Weirbt
Advanced

No, I got two different Map mods for my existing set up, Monster oval with VO2 intake. Tried both mods and didn't like either and went back to original setup.

I asked what would be my mods for when I install the 48H cams and was told the programming would change to a 103 ci motor. I don't have that map yet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel management or Cams?