Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Why do I want oil going into the intake from the engine?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 11:02 PM
FlaHeatWave
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by DeneFXDWG
Exactly. If this was a motor killer, they would devise another method to deal with the little bit of oil that gets mixed in with the gas and burned off. What do other bikes do? After a zillion miles on my $5000 Adventure bike a bore scope easily indicated the part numbers on the pistons. After 4000 miles my new razzle dazzle 121hp 107" Harley motor went south and the new CP pistons looked like this....and yes, when I built the motor I made sure I did what everybody says "you must do" and I routed the breathers so there was a big spot of oil on the ground whenever I stopped. So these pistons from day one had the breathers dumping to the dirt, no oil getting in the chambers...

Even though you vented to ground, there's plenty of oil getting in those chambers,,, looks like a bit too much fuel also...

If "there was a big spot of oil on the ground whenever I stopped" from day one then you had issues from day one...

What went south on your 107??

Old 12-27-2016, 11:28 PM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by FlaHeatWave
Even though you vented to ground, there's plenty of oil getting in those chambers,,, looks like a bit too much fuel also...

If "there was a big spot of oil on the ground whenever I stopped" from day one then you had issues from day one...

What went south on your 107??
Bottom end. Crank and rods I was told.
It was partially my fault as I myself did the cams, heads, bored jugs, (basically all the top end mods), knowing I had a .007 runout on that crank thingie.
I got the entry level port and intake valve size increase by Don Dorfman, when the heads cam back from him they looked like a thing of beauty and performed well above my expectations (124/121). But it was just my luck that the stock bottom end didn't like all that power. Combustion chambers looked even worse that the tops of pistons.
I had a 08 dyno bought used with stage 1 cleaner, dripped on cover all the time, bought new FLHR in '11, got it bored to 103 and installed 204 cams and air cleaner, dripped all over, went to 107" powerhouse and decided to route to ground. I really don't subscribe to the theory that running a dry sump system low can cure the blow by out the breathers, (I did drill out drainback holes larger by the way).
I so much love the new bike.

Last edited by DeneFXDWG; 12-28-2016 at 12:21 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:19 AM
FlaHeatWave
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by DeneFXDWG
Bottom end. Crank and rods I was told.
It was partially my fault as I myself did the cams, heads, bored jugs, (basically all the top end mods), knowing I had a .007 runout on that crank thingie.
I got the entry level port and intake valve size increase by Don Dorfman, when the heads cam back from him they looked like a thing of beauty and performed well above my expectations (124/121). But it was just my luck that the stock bottom end didn't like all that power. Combustion chambers looked even worse that the tops of pistons.
I had a 08 dyno bought used with stage 1 cleaner, dripped on cover all the time, bought new FLHR in '11, got it bored to 103 and installed 204 cams and air cleaner, dripped all over, went to 107" powerhouse and decided to route to ground. I really don't subscribe to the theory that running a dry sump system low can cure the blow by out the breathers, (I did drill out drainback holes larger by the way).
I so much love the new bike.
I agree, conventional wisdom would think it shouldn't make any difference...

But, whether OE venting or venting to ground, my TCs, have a sweet spot right in the middle of the dipstick(checked hot), (3qts at oil change), if filled above the sweet spot, they will use / blow oil until the level is back in the middle of the dipstick... Once at the sweet spot, the oil level will not change between 3-4k service intervals... Doesn't matter how the bikes are run...

Go figure???

All the drainback holes are stock, not drilled (per my Head Guy's and Builder's recommendation)...

Old 12-29-2016, 12:53 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

I think a lot of folks might be getting hung up on just the build up on the pistons because of the visual aspect...

There are many reasons to run and EBS, beyond the build up-

There is an entire article on it HERE, along with dyno charts, but the short list is:
  • Oxygen rich air with an EBS, oxygen depleted air with stock venting.
  • Cooler air is more dense, thus has more oxygen, thus produces better power and better MPG.
  • External venting prevents sensors in the throttle body from getting gummed up.
  • A biggie that most do not realize is that with an EBS you will have a stable tune. Lots more details on that HERE in #3.

There is NO evidence that internal venting has any benefit in longevity, performance or economy.

There is overwhelming evidence that External Venting results in a cleaner engine, increased performance and economy.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 01-15-2017, 12:22 PM
EAS
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Nope, no sainthood needed. lol

While we are in biz to make money, we go about it a bit differently than most...most companies focus on what they have to do to make money (profit), we have a bit of a different philosophy.

Rather than focus on making a profit, we focus on making products that we believe in, products that will enhance a persons riding experience. It is our belief that if we do this correctly, then the natural result will be profitable.

Every single item on our website is a product that we use on our own bikes.

Nothing goes on our website (whether made by us or someone else) that we do not believe enhances our own rides, AND is worth the $ spent for the enhancement provided.

It does not matter how "profitable" selling item xyz may be...if we would not buy it for our own bikes, then it would betray the foundation we've built DK on...treat others as you would want them to treat you.

That said, I do not want the inside of my engine to look like the photo below, so I run, and have always run, an EBS on all my engines.

Ive got 35,000 miles on my TC with a stage1 a/c, wonder how it looks, if this engine has only 8,000. I need to get one your magic kits. Who sells this type of mod and where can i get one? This is urgent due to the pic of the engine i see with this kind of damage.

Last edited by EAS; 01-19-2017 at 01:01 AM.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:11 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by EAS
Ive got 35,000 miles on my TC with a stage1 a/c, wonder how it looks, if this engine has only 8,000. I need to get one your magic kits. Who sells this type of mod and where can i get one? This is urgent due to the pic of the engine i see with this kind of damage.
Not magic-just common sense.

LINK to External Breather Systems for TC's.

Old 01-24-2017, 12:02 AM
EAS
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Not magic-just common sense.

LINK to External Breather Systems for TC's.
Common sense? Where did you get the picture of your 8000mile cylinder/piston from you posted? How much oil was entering the intake, from the venting system to leave the puddle on top of the piston?

Old 01-24-2017, 12:21 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,225 Likes on 3,608 Posts

Originally Posted by EAS
Common sense? Where did you get the picture of your 8000mile cylinder/piston from you posted? How much oil was entering the intake, from the venting system to leave the puddle on top of the piston?
Yeah I noticed that the motor is not stock.. Strong possibility there is some issue from build.. Notice the oil is around the edge of the piston? If coming in from the top it should have been better distributed in the chamber.. I'd bet it had a ring / bore issue..

Old 01-24-2017, 08:47 AM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

Originally Posted by EAS
Originally Posted by bwoltz
Yeah I noticed that the motor is not stock.. Strong possibility there is some issue from build.. Notice the oil is around the edge of the piston? If coming in from the top it should have been better distributed in the chamber.. I'd bet it had a ring / bore issue..
I don't think you guys should believe it! It's obviously a ploy to get you to perform unnecessary maintenance or spend a few bucks on your bike. Resist!

Old 01-24-2017, 08:48 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,225 Likes on 3,608 Posts

Originally Posted by rwhisen
I don't think you guys should believe it! It's obviously a ploy to get you to perform unnecessary maintenance or spend a few bucks on your bike. Resist!
Believe what?

Quick Reply: Why do I want oil going into the intake from the engine?