Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Cam Gear Alignment Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 09:38 AM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 296 Likes on 256 Posts
Default Cam Gear Alignment Issue

I'll get right to it.

1993 XL1200

I'm rebuilding the top end and doing some cosmetic improvements to the cases and covers.

Two cam gears came out when I pulled the gear case cover. I thought, no big deal.

I pulled the cam gears and checked them for wear, etc...
When I went back to install the cam gears, I realized that there was no timing mark on my pinion gear.

There should be a timing notch on one of the teeth to get all the cam gears back in alignment when installing. But there is no timing notch on my pinion gear.

The service manual says that the timing notch is on the tooth that is center line of the key way on the pinion gear shaft. This is to make alignment of the pinion gear with the key easier when installing the pinion gear on the shaft.

So I assume the tooth that is centerline on the key way is the proper tooth to use for aligning the cam gears but without a timing notch on that tooth, I don't have a 100% confidence factor.

Anyone have experience with a pinion gear that does not have a timing mark on it?

I've attached closeup pictures below at full size. I used a Sharpie to mark the tooth that is centerline on the keyway, but I assure you that mark was made by me. There is absolutely NO notch or other distinguishing marks on any of the pinion gear teeth.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:20 PM
DianneB
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Stupid question but is there any chance the mark is on the other side of the pinion and that it needs to be flipped over?

Old 11-23-2016, 02:43 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DianneB
Stupid question but is there any chance the mark is on the other side of the pinion and that it needs to be flipped over?
Not a stupid question at all. At first I checked with a mirror but then I removed the pinion gear and looked. No markings on the back side.

I've been told that as long as the tooth which is centered on the key way is the one aligned with the #2 cam gear mark, then it's good.

I suppose (unless I get other conflicting info) that I'll find out when I go to start her up the first time.

Old 11-25-2016, 06:23 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,808 Likes on 3,313 Posts

Never worked on a Sporty 1200 but I do know that any time I replace a cam and after all the setup and pushrod adjustments, I turn the motor over by hand to make sure that there will be no piston to valve interference.... Based on your initial description of your set up it sounds right... Just be careful... Better safe than sorry... Here's a pic I pulled off the net.....

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...80206332638534

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 11-25-2016 at 06:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TStephen (12-02-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 01:02 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
Never worked on a Sporty 1200 but I do know that any time I replace a cam and after all the setup and pushrod adjustments, I turn the motor over by hand to make sure that there will be no piston to valve interference.... Based on your initial description of your set up it sounds right... Just be careful... Better safe than sorry... Here's a pic I pulled off the net.....

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...80206332638534
That's always solid advice. Check for interference, etc... I don't suppose you know whether the Evo is a non-interference motor or not?

Old 12-02-2016, 01:25 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

Never did it but in my manual, it states... On 1988-2003 models, align the pinion gear timing mark (A, Figure 67) with the center of the pinion shaft keyway (B) and install the gear.
So I assume, the gear will only go one way on that crank, so since you have no mark, just transcribe it like you did and mark it like you did. Pretty lame. I know in that video above of hotrod98, it truly looks out in that front exhaust cam to the right on their second attempt.
Assume you have plugs out. Always double check everything by turning when back together.
Years ago, I was rebuilding a 16 valve overhead cam motor. The cam shaft belt drove the water pump. Between year, the previous year water pump impeller was bumped 1/8 larger for additional cooling but a lot of the smaller impeller motors were dropped in the new year cars till they picket up the new supply. Problem was, it would slide in but lock if you turned it. My double checking caught it when the parts man gave me the larger pump impeller.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 12-02-2016 at 01:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TStephen (12-02-2016)