Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Anything else while heads are off?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 10:12 AM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member
Received 728 Likes on 559 Posts

So reading up it sounds like rocker ticking can be from a lot of sources but one of them is a squishy lifter after the oil has warmed up. My ticking isn't that bad and I have checked the exhaust seal so is there any other benefit to replacing the lifters other than eliminating a minor tick and getting known valve movement? Does the play after warm-up cause pushrods to fail as well or something? Lifters seem like a cheap enough part to replace and it sounds like the more expensive ones don't get you much more bang so.....

Old 01-15-2017, 07:41 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,793 Likes on 3,304 Posts

I was surprised to read that you never made mention of new lifters to compliment the build. Lifters are a maintenance type item that do require replacement over time. They wear like everything else... I also know that the TC heads are prone to rocker noise and have heard that the rock-outs do help. I would definitely at this point replace the lifters with S&S standards and set to .140".

No, your pushrods pushrods will be fine.

Your motor sounds very healthy. Nice job on the build.

Old 01-15-2017, 10:43 AM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
I was surprised to read that you never made mention of new lifters to compliment the build. Lifters are a maintenance type item that do require replacement over time. They wear like everything else... I also know that the TC heads are prone to rocker noise and have heard that the rock-outs do help. I would definitely at this point replace the lifters with S&S standards and set to .140".

No, your pushrods pushrods will be fine.

Your motor sounds very healthy. Nice job on the build.
Is there a benefit of S&S standards over the OEM? The cost difference is around $80

Old 01-15-2017, 10:48 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Guild
Is there a benefit of S&S standards over the OEM? The cost difference is around $80
Better lifter with longer service interval.

Old 01-15-2017, 01:09 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,793 Likes on 3,304 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Guild
Ah yea, They are by far the choice of most builders here on the forum as well as my self. one and done... No worries. Standards are very good quality and can take the heat.... My well built Evo is as quiet as a church mouse and I sleep well at night.... lol....

Old 01-15-2017, 09:20 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,785 Likes on 9,863 Posts

I've been lurking this build. Did you install Rock-Outs? If not, do so, they'll eliminate a lot of the noise. If you did, then you could be hearing rocker end play rattle. I used the S&S Standards when I installed the Rock-Outs.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:56 AM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by QC
I've been lurking this build. Did you install Rock-Outs? If not, do so, they'll eliminate a lot of the noise. If you did, then you could be hearing rocker end play rattle. I used the S&S Standards when I installed the Rock-Outs.
I did do the rockouts and now have S&S lifters ordered. I will hopefully get them in next week as we are having some unseasonably warm weather. After the ice storm last night it is raining today. Temp in the 40s this week and 50s next week with rain so hopefully there won't be any salt on the road.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:00 PM
paoloD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,692 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Looking good Jay. Any update on the noise ? Hope the lifters solved the problem.
I had a small chirping kinda noise that drove me mad. Ended up being an exhaust hanger under one of the bags. When I first heard it my mind went right away to an engine issue.

Old 01-20-2017, 01:22 PM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member

I got the lifters yesterday and took the push rods out today. I noticed before I took them out that there was some oil on the engine looking like it came from one of the rod tubes so have a set of push rod gaskets on order to replace these. Probably necessary anyway considering this is the second time I have taken the covers off since installing these gaskets. Hopefully will get the lifters in this weekend.

Old 01-20-2017, 02:18 PM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member

While I've got it on the stand I went ahead and ordered some EBC brake pads for the back. I figure I'm going to need to slow down some time and I'm tired of fishtailing if I don't stomp on the rear.

Quick Reply: Anything else while heads are off?