Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Is there anymore Torque to be Gained?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 10:30 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by Yo_Boss
I'm wanting to increase my low end torque if at all possible. I do not care about horsepower as I never go above 4500 RPM and will not use it.

2015 FLSTN SE 110 kit - 10.5:1, Stock heads, SE 585 cam, GLS Ultimate Intake, Rinehart crossbacks. Stock throttle body.

I have been told heads and TB increase HP not torque. So my question is, is there anymore torque to be gained from this motor? I just upgraded to 110 so ci increase is out.

Last Dyno read HP 96.3 / TQ 127.4

Proper cylinder head work will gain more in the low and mid, and create a broader curve as well.
Engine temps should be less.
Throttle body mods would be also a good idea.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:46 AM
Yo_Boss
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
Proper cylinder head work will gain more in the low and mid, and create a broader curve as well.
Scott
Now that's what I'm looking for! So there is more torque to be gained from this motor. I like the idea of lower engine temp to, it overheated for the first time this year though it was a very hot day and I was sitting in traffic for 45 minutes.

Old 12-07-2016, 09:12 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Now that's what I'm looking for! So there is more torque to be gained from this motor. I like the idea of lower engine temp to, it overheated for the first time this year though it was a very hot day and I was sitting in traffic for 45 minutes.
You can do all the mods you want but the motor will still over heat if you sit in "parade" traffic for 45 minutes. The only thing that will help that condition is a set of Ward's fans, or something similar. Still saying you are barking up the wrong tree if you are chasing more torque. At 127/TQ from your configuration, not much more TQ to squeeze out. Concentrate head work to get that weak HP number up which might show a few more ft.lb. of TQ. JMHO...............

Old 12-07-2016, 02:22 PM
mirrmu
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

i would go and put it on another dyno,

do you feel the TQ is not matching whats on the graph?

Old 12-07-2016, 05:04 PM
Yo_Boss
Cruiser

Originally Posted by mirrmu
i would go and put it on another dyno,

do you feel the TQ is not matching whats on the graph?

Oh no doubt it matches what the graph says. The bike is very snappy, I'm simply asking if there is more left in this motor to be gained.

Old 12-08-2016, 09:41 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Oh no doubt it matches what the graph says. The bike is very snappy, I'm simply asking if there is more left in this motor to be gained.
I just went back and looked at your dyno sheet again; the 96HP/127TQ numbers keep bugging me as they are unusual. I did note two things in review; Joe's Cycle Shop which has the reputation for a "happy" dyno and the chart was done in STD which will yield higher numbers. I would suggest, think someone suggested this in a previous post, a second and confirming dyno to verify the first set of numbers before doing any tweaking on the motor.

Last edited by djl; 02-21-2017 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:50 PM
Yo_Boss
Cruiser

Originally Posted by djl
I just went back and looked at your dyno sheet again; the 96HP/127TQ numbers keep bugging me as they are unusual. I did not two things in review; Joe's Cycle Shop which has the reputation for a "happy" dyno and the chart was done in STD which will yield higher numbers. I would suggest, think someone suggested this in a previous post, a second and confirming dyno to verify the first set of numbers before doing any tweaking on the motor.
I think I'm going to drop it off to Scott this spring for head work and a little TB work before I take it to JT's for a custom paint job.

I don't ride much above 4500 RPM's and these cams bring it on quick however maybe there is a cam that bring the torque even more and earlier.

Last edited by Yo_Boss; 02-20-2017 at 09:00 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:17 PM
Yo_Boss
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
Scott
What does your schedule look like I think it's time to do this. I don't turn my own wrenches so I'm going to have to trailer the bike to you.

Last edited by Yo_Boss; 05-16-2017 at 03:20 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:58 PM
Tedwilliams09
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

What does your schedule look like I think it's time to do this. I don't turn my own wrenches so I'm going to have to trailer the bike to you.
where ya coming from,?? I am taking one up for a friend Saturday morning...will swing by and grab yours!

Old 05-18-2017, 12:20 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,246 Likes on 3,624 Posts

Making it a 117 would be the beast way to up the tq. While it's apart get the heads done..

Quick Reply: Is there anymore Torque to be Gained?