Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Milwaukee 8 stall problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 11:54 PM
lloydsteve
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Milwaukee 8 stall problem

Hello, there

Have any of you notice a stall problem in the Milwaukee eight engine when doing slow type of maneuvers kind of police courses or such?

I have.

this is a video of a fellow rider. and he has experienced it too.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:11 PM
Spock61
Stage III

I experienced stalls during Daytona Beach Bike week last Saturday, March 11, during a demo ride on a 2017 Road Glide Ultra and 2017 Ultra Limited. Both stalls occurred in stop and go traffic. Feathering the clutch and throttle, the engine would lug and I would roll the throttle slightly to increase revs, the RPM would pick up, and as soon as I rolled the throttle back letting out the clutch to inch forward, the engine stalled. It took about 15 seconds to restart the bike. I had to place the ignition and kill switches to off, wait, and then the return the switches back to ignition to start the bikes. When I returned to the HD Tent from the demo ride, I told the HD Staff member what happened. His response was the Motor Company is receiving reports of this issue. Because the M8 has a “Hard Pull” clutch, compared to the Big Twin 103, new owners have to get used to a new clutch design friction zone. In addition, the time to restart is how long it takes the ECM to reset. So, in my case, how I was feathering the clutch caused the stall since I’m used to feathering the clutch on my 2015 Limited that has never exhibited this issue. Right now, reports received by the Motor Company are categorized as part of rider learning the operational characteristics of their bike.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:20 PM
Calvelli
Novice

Well this will put you in a dilemma if stuck in traffic eh? Guess you have to give it more throttle.

Old 03-16-2017, 07:46 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,231 Likes on 3,611 Posts

Get the Rs up and you won't have the problem.. It's the clutch.. You do have to drive it differently from other bike that don't use the assist/slipper clutch.. If you try to motor away from a stop and 1500 rpm, the clutch grabs and the motor dies.

The problem I have is that the clutch itself changes the friction zone as clutch releases or if the engine RPM changes.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...l#post16023589

Old 03-23-2017, 03:06 PM
Klong4HD
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Stalling while clutch is pulled in.

I have a 2017 Road Glide Ultra for 5 weeks now. Had the 1,000 servicing and now I have 2,000 miles on it. Last Sunday my bike stalled twice and today it stalled once on my way back from a dealership. They did the bike isn't generating any codes.

So here is when it's stalling. I'll be downshifting to come to a stop. I'll get down to first gear, and as I get ready to stop, I'll pull the clutch in, to apply the brakes, and the RPM's drops so low that the engine just dies. Sometimes it drops to 500 RPM before I goose it with gas to keep the RPM's up. So it's stalling when I come to a stop. I suspect the RPMs do so low that it just shuts itself off. At times it takes a while to restart the bike. This is a dangerous situation because who knows where I'll be when I can't restart my bike.

My bike never stalled during acceleration and it's always been rolling to a stop when the clutch has been depressed.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:40 PM
Last chance
2nd Gear

When I used the feature to run off the one cylinder when the motor reaches a certain temperature, it feels like it wants to stall when taking off from a stop in first gear. I disengaged that feature because of that reason. Otherwise, runs very good.

Old 05-27-2017, 11:46 AM
EdwardToscano
Cruiser
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts
Default M8 Engine Stalling while clutch is pulled in.

Guys I'm having the same issue on the M8. I have about 950 miles on 2017 Road Glide with the M8, the issue for me started about 100 miles ago, as I pull up to a light pull in the clutch, the bike immediately drops in idle and stalls, if you are not conscious and keep rolling the throttle at a light you will stall. My bike stalls now almost overtime I go out. It's not the clutch I do not believe it has anything to do with the clutch. The bike every time you downshift or slow down and pull in the clutch the idle drops and stalls the bike. sometimes you will hear it almost stall and then the idle picks up. I'm wondering if anyone who has had their bike remapped has this problem? The only MODS i have made are slip ons.

I will be going to the dealer soon of the 1000 miles check up service whatever and see what they say.

The following users liked this post:
memphisharley (05-03-2018)
Old 05-27-2017, 06:17 PM
Klong4HD
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by EdwardToscano
Guys I'm having the same issue on the M8. I have about 950 miles on 2017 Road Glide with the M8, the issue for me started about 100 miles ago, as I pull up to a light pull in the clutch, the bike immediately drops in idle and stalls, if you are not conscious and keep rolling the throttle at a light you will stall. My bike stalls now almost overtime I go out. It's not the clutch I do not believe it has anything to do with the clutch. The bike every time you downshift or slow down and pull in the clutch the idle drops and stalls the bike. sometimes you will hear it almost stall and then the idle picks up. I'm wondering if anyone who has had their bike remapped has this problem? The only MODS i have made are slip ons.

I will be going to the dealer soon of the 1000 miles check up service whatever and see what they say.
They finally fixed my bike with this stalling issue and it was a simple fix. My bike has a faulty clutch switch. They replaced it and it's back to working.

Max Headflow (05-27-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 07:25 PM
Dundee
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The M8s have both a problem with stalling on take off as well as stopping. Engine shutting off while in a very slow speed turn such as pulling out of a stop and making a turn. And Harley is dodging recalls and liability with this problem. There have been many long time riders drop their bikes due to the stalling and even scratching the lower fairings because the engine guard no longer protects these. Harley states this is coincidental damage and refuses to pay for the fairings stating the rider should have been able to hold the bike up. I don't know about everyone but it is almost impossible when making a turn such as a right turn from a stop, you have picked your feet up and sweep right, the bike shuts off while you are under 10 mph and you are in a 15-20 degree lean. I do challenge this to most riders. So, it is not just you, it is EVERY M8.

I did modify my VE tables, timing and idle for various temperatures. I no longer have this problem.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:17 PM
MTBIG G
Road Warrior

Received 969 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by Dundee
The M8s have both a problem with stalling on take off as well as stopping. Engine shutting off while in a very slow speed turn such as pulling out of a stop and making a turn. And Harley is dodging recalls and liability with this problem. There have been many long time riders drop their bikes due to the stalling and even scratching the lower fairings because the engine guard no longer protects these. Harley states this is coincidental damage and refuses to pay for the fairings stating the rider should have been able to hold the bike up. I don't know about everyone but it is almost impossible when making a turn such as a right turn from a stop, you have picked your feet up and sweep right, the bike shuts off while you are under 10 mph and you are in a 15-20 degree lean. I do challenge this to most riders. So, it is not just you, it is EVERY M8.

I did modify my VE tables, timing and idle for various temperatures. I no longer have this problem.
What a crock of ****. Nice first post.

tmcguire17 (07-15-2019)

Quick Reply: Milwaukee 8 stall problem