Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Andrews 57H cams in a 2016 stage 1 Ultra Limited?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 07:50 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by 94 ultra
Yea I appreciate the opinions

I guess I will sell the 57s

They are great but probably not for my stock bike now

I will look into the TTS good thngs about them

ill put the 57s in the for sale catagory

Thanks
I'm only a duffer, no expert, but a couple of years ago I looked at the 57's for my 2014 Breakout and opted instead for the SE 204's as a less complex install with characteristics "somewhat" similar in nature to the 57's. These do borrow from the stock low RPM torque and spread torque out over the 2800 + rpm range, which makes em a great cam for a ride like the Breakout.

As I understand it, a cam with characteristics like those of the 255 would better enhance the heavier bikes carrying heavier loads.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:23 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,033 Likes on 1,501 Posts

Originally Posted by Frédéric CM
See the builds by Tattoo on HTT with the 110" drop in kit
I have seen Tatto's sheets; he has put many 110/117 kits on the street and is a fan. I can't really compare since I only found two that were near identical but one ran stock heads at 10.3 static and the other ran SE CNC heads at 10.5 and both had different exhausts. The motor at 10.5 did have higher numbers 107/125 vis 105/120 for the motor at 10.3. However, the higher numbers from the motor at 10.5 could be attributed to the CNC heads with larger valves. So, I still can't say that the higher compression adds anything to the build. I will say that Tatoo has put out several 110 bolt on kits with the 57 cams at 200-205 CCP that make serious power and were I to go that route, I would probably follow his example; can't argue with success.........

Old 01-07-2017, 05:09 AM
Frédéric CM
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

I have the same builds as Tattoo in mind for my current 103/57H, but with bigger ported head than CNC

Old 01-07-2017, 07:04 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon61
I thought 10:1 max was the general opinion out there for the 57 ...is 10.3 not going to push the CCP up just a bit high?
10.3 is perfect for the 57's. I ran this cam at 10.1 and a friend ran it at 10.3, the 10.3 was perfect and mine was a bit soft down low, a good 2-n-1 will help the bottom end but the comp. will bring the cam to life.

Old 03-12-2017, 01:08 PM
B Bop
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

With all due respect to everyone's comments, but has anyone try contacting Andrews as they may know a "little more" on what cam suites your specific scoot & riding habits?

I'm just saying....

B Bop

2012 FLHR (Road King) Ember Red Sunglo & Merlo
Cruise Control, ABS, Chrome Aluminum Profile Laced Spoke Tubeless Wheels, Security Package, Saddle Bag LED Lid Spoilers, and an array of accessories that enhances nostalgic appearance & blood curdling performance.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:52 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by B Bop
With all due respect to everyone's comments, but has anyone try contacting Andrews as they may know a "little more" on what cam suites your specific scoot & riding habits?

I'm just saying....

B Bop
Any manufacturer, including Andrews, is always going to err to the conservative side, particularly when it comes to something like cam choice which dictates CCP and makes a huge difference in performance and tenability. This has been proven many times over the years and is why so many that run Andrews cams run them at the upper limit of the recommended compression or higher.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:57 AM
B Bop
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
Any manufacturer, including Andrews, is always going to err to the conservative side, particularly when it comes to something like cam choice which dictates CCP and makes a huge difference in performance and tenability. This has been proven many times over the years and is why so many that run Andrews cams run them at the upper limit of the recommended compression or higher.
Buuuuut according to Andrews the 57H is a direct replacement that is designed in 2012 for the 103 & 110 that has lower compression comparing to Rushmore modes that has compression bumped up slightly.... Indicating the 57H works well with stock compression 2012 and slightly better on Rushmore model's.

I believe we are splitting hairs here, only the extremist may be interested in fractional TQ/HP gains, but not your average stage 1-65%er's....like myself is concerned IMHO.

B Bop

2012 FLHR (Road King) Ember Red Sunglo & Merlo
Cruise Control, ABS, Chrome Aluminum Profile Laced Spoke Tubeless Wheels, Security Package, Saddle Bag LED Lid Spoilers, and an array of accessories that enhances nostalgic appearance & blood curdling performance.

Great spirits have always encountered violent oppositions from mediocre minds.

Old 03-13-2017, 01:37 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by B Bop
Buuuuut according to Andrews the 57H is a direct replacement that is designed in 2012 for the 103 & 110 that has lower compression comparing to Rushmore modes that has compression bumped up slightly.... Indicating the 57H works well with stock compression 2012 and slightly better on Rushmore model's.

I believe we are splitting hairs here, only the extremist may be interested in fractional TQ/HP gains, but not your average stage 1-65%er's....like myself is concerned IMHO.

B Bop
Well, I am not an extremist but would think that performance is the usually anticipated result of a cam upgrade; splitting hairs or not. I don't rely on what a manufacturer publishes about their cams but look at the cams and select one for the particular application. Now that I know we are talking about cam selection for a cam only upgrade to a Stage I 103/110 motor, I will just say that IMHO, there are a couple of cams that will perform better in that situation than the 57 but that's JMHO.

Old 03-13-2017, 08:25 PM
Tedwilliams09
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Pretty sure my CCP is under 200....

Old 03-13-2017, 09:32 PM
2009blackpearle
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default hey travis

looking at some pistons the other day, 85 cc head chamber .040 head gasket
-1.5 piston dome volume Andrews 57 I get 199cpp 10:25 static, on your 107 but who knows what magic stuff is in there at 125 square its a beast. I mailed scott cpl days ago to get a good idea on prices on some parts hope to tear in to motor in april your 57 sure don't look like a dog cam. its all in the combination of parts and numbers wrong parts equals wrong numbers= poor results find a good builder for advise too many arm chair coaches some times
I could be way off also who knows , a good set of head worked on by a pro builder with the right combo of parts is the way to go.
saw some utube vids cpl years ago 103 with 57 cam had se heads which aren't really worked up as good as a pro builder reworked head and it got 115 tq and 110 hp

Quick Reply: Andrews 57H cams in a 2016 stage 1 Ultra Limited?