Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Help- cylinder wall marks- is it a problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 11:13 PM
Olsen185
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Assuming that there is an issue with these cylinders, is there enough material to re-bore them? Also would I be able to re-use the pistons with new rings?

Old 01-06-2017, 02:13 AM
SixDD
Banned
Received 1,901 Likes on 1,109 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it, not even the slightest bit, waste of time, but that's just me.

Old 01-06-2017, 04:51 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by Olsen185
Assuming that there is an issue with these cylinders, is there enough material to re-bore them? Also would I be able to re-use the pistons with new rings?
theres no room to bore 107" to a oversize,cylinders are a dime a dozen,so if it comes to that just get new cylinders & have them bored.you can use the pistons & just get new rings.

Old 01-06-2017, 04:54 AM
prodrag1320
Banned

Originally Posted by SixDD
I wouldn't worry about it, not even the slightest bit, waste of time, but that's just me.

curious,how bad does stuff have to look before youde worry about it?

Old 01-06-2017, 05:08 AM
2009blackpearle
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default used pistons again

I wouldn't things do wear and Im sure they didn't wear perfectly round, If your reboring cylinders, get new pistons and rings, old crap will never seat right and you will be blowing oil out that air cleaning like crazy
why do half the job

Old 01-06-2017, 08:42 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by bwoltz
The middle pic is disconcerting. 1 and 3 show some ghosting at the cylinder studs and oil drain passage but that is common.. More so on virgin cylinders than ones that have seen a bunch of heat cycles before boring. It's probably more prevalent on the 3.938 bores too. I'd be a little concerned about the cylinder finish.. looks like it was done with too fine a stone.. As the crosshatch is weak. I agree with Kirby, pull them. have them checked..
bwoltz has better vision than me; I can't see a cross hatch.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:54 AM
prodrag1320
Banned

Originally Posted by 2009blackpearle
I wouldn't things do wear and Im sure they didn't wear perfectly round, If your reboring cylinders, get new pistons and rings, old crap will never seat right and you will be blowing oil out that air cleaning like crazy
why do half the job

if pistons show no damage (scuffing or wear marks) and are carefully mic`ed & found to be as new,no reason not to re-use them,new rings would be a must though

Old 01-06-2017, 09:37 AM
Kingofcubes
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Olsen185
Ok here is the deal, I just tore down the motor to add some ported and polished heads. My 107 kit has about 2500 miles so far. When I removed the old heads I noticed some marks on the cylinder walls. The front cylinder seems to have more marks then the rear. Is this something to worry about? The marks can't be felt with a fingernail.
After I pulled the cylinders and re-honed them in torque plates, de-carbon the pistons, and changed out the rings. I'd take a look at why it's running so friggin hot. We have seen that multigrade synthetic oil turns too thin when excessively hot to keep the rings from scrubbing the cross hatch off the bores at the high points (caused again by over heating). By the looks of the build up on the pistons, looks like high octane fuel has also left lots of chemical deposits on them.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:12 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

I agree with prodrag. Not normal.

That is the kind of pattern I've seen on my air-cooled VW drag race motors that have had the ring gaps butt solid. They deform almost into a clover leaf shape. Typically due to heat. Running lean, ring gaps set up just a bit too close etc. High performance air cooled VWs have much in common with HD motors.

A few years back, I brought the car with a fresh engine that had maybe 15 minutes of run time to the track. We won the event, but the last four rounds were only 15-20 minutes apart. Not enough time to cool down enough. It was a big event and the opportunity to win overcame my desire to keep the motor alive. Rather than withdraw to save the motor, I said "Screw it. I can fix it!" After I pulled up to the time slip booth after the final round, the motor shut itself off and wouldn't restart. Ah, good times!

Afterwards, the barrels looked like those in the original post and a couple were worse. I just replaced 'em since the dial bore gage revealed they were no longer round. The price of competition.

So, if they were mine, I'd run a dial bore gage in 'em checking several points. Should be done with torque plates to get a true reading. If they are still round, I'd run a rigid hone thru 'em to see if there are any low spots. If they'll clean up up without taking out a bunch of material....run 'em. If not....then weigh your options.

Even so, I'd say the rings are trash at the very least. But that's just my opinion. I'm still a rookie when it comes to HD motors, although the basic principles still apply.

The following users liked this post:
Max Headflow (01-06-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 10:16 AM
Olsen185
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I just want to thank everyone that took the time out to give me advise. I spoke with the company that I bought the kit from and they are addressing the issue. Thanks again

Quick Reply: Help- cylinder wall marks- is it a problem?