Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Can't leave well enough alone...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 03:09 PM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Suede Blue Man
Well, I'm gonna be the honest one and tell you what you need to hear, quit this nonsense talk about drop-in smop-in, cut to the quick, you need to tear it all down and do a 117", you know the deal by now, dismantle, send off the bottom end, all that jazz, no talk of this being your 3rd cam change, this would be your "last" cam change 'cause you know a good 117" is what you want and need!
Bam, 135hp/tq at your finger tips, do it, there's your project staring you in your face, don't ignore the need, give in to this vice, it's a calling to you

But by all means, do something and make a good thread on it
Can't much argue with that logic.

In all seriousness don't treat this as a 'have to get it done in a weekend' project. If you've done a top end before, sure, have at it. But as a first time doing cylinders it's not something you want to rush into. With family and kids you'll be lucky to get it apart in one weekend, then you need quiet time to check ring gaps, clean the cylinders properly, and assemble. It's different than just bolting things up.

Now that you're on the west coast consider looking into shops over there. Shipping will be a lot less and faster. My head porter is in Washington, HD Street Performance.

Old 01-07-2017, 03:47 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by robbyville
Perhaps so. Maybe it is the combo, lots of folks with the same pipe which should support much stronger performance but with different cams, and others with the same cams but different pipes with better numbers. Pretty strange!
Always easy for others to spend your money. Talk to Kirby; you don't need the expense and additional labor a 117" motor involves to build a hard running 107" or a 110" with a drop in kit. I have seen some drop in kits putting 120/125 numbers and 107" motor putting up numbers in the 115/120 range. If Kirby does the cylinder work, he will set ring gaps; all you need to do is properly clean the cylinders.

Old 01-07-2017, 05:38 PM
mirrmu
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

maybe look at cam with higher lift and the later intake closing number

Old 01-07-2017, 05:48 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

I would call Jamie at fuel moto and tell him where your'e at and where you want to go. Listen to what he tells you.

Old 01-07-2017, 07:18 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Well, I appreciate all the encouragement, I always know what Suede is going to say, and he does spur me on so well!

Still in this case I am looking at more of a "B" word build (read, budget). And simplicity. I've been saving for a new road bike frame (I have a beautiful bike but have been lusting over a custom frame out of Portland for years), and I'm kind of close to having the spousal unit approving if I give up the next 3 birthdays and christmas' (yes this frame is that expensive). So I really don't want to upset the proverbial apple cart!

Kirby's 107 cylinders and pistons would work well apparently and only cost about $600 plus the additional tune so think I may go that route.

Old 01-07-2017, 07:58 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

Good luck ! I have been thinking about tearing into mine. Pretty sure I will within the next month. Taking my time , and probably missing some of next summer's riding.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:47 PM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 728 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by robbyville
Kirby's 107 cylinders and pistons would work well apparently and only cost about $600 plus the additional tune so think I may go that route.
My plan was something like this. And I started a thread about it. And now I'm building a 117"

Old 01-07-2017, 11:06 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Reindeer
My plan was something like this. And I started a thread about it. And now I'm building a 117"
Yeah, I've been watching your thread, living vicariously. I have too many expensive hobbies and sports...

Old 01-07-2017, 11:48 PM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 728 Likes on 404 Posts

What frame are you looking at? I was a bicycle mechanic in a former life.

Old 01-08-2017, 05:02 AM
Sc0-
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Would talk with Jaime or Bob at Fuelmoto about what you have and what you want. I have been working with Bob on my project, which is similar to the FM 107 Hellraiser setup with a few differences. For my 107 build I am looking at 120r2 or higher numbers using the Feuling 594g cams and C-head porting services. The bottom end will ride on a S&S crankshaft with dual lefty bearings for longevity. Compression will be set pretty high with a high ccp for the cams to wake up but should still run on 93 pump gas.

The following users liked this post:
robbyville (01-08-2017)

Quick Reply: Can't leave well enough alone...