Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Can't leave well enough alone...

Old 01-08-2017, 08:48 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Reindeer
What frame are you looking at? I was a bicycle mechanic in a former life.
I've been riding most of my life, and have had some nice bikes but check out Speedvagen [url

http://www.thevanillaworkshop.com/speedvagen-road/

Not the OG1 but the original Speedvagen frame with a variety of enhancements.

Last edited by robbyville; 01-08-2017 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:04 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 730 Likes on 502 Posts

Robby knows I'm here for him and his money is no object

I was going to do the HD 110" cylinders/piston kit but they wouldn't make me one in black, before they grind of the edges of the fins. Original on my bike are all black so had to stick with them and do the 107" and it's every bit a spirited ride

The following users liked this post:
robbyville (01-09-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 03:11 PM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 727 Likes on 403 Posts

I'd also prefer the all black, without the machined fin edges. The Fuel Moto 117" cylinders I have on order have the machined edges, I'm considering painting them all black before I install them.

My motor is silver, I wanted black jugs like the Shovelheads had. Love that look.

Old 01-08-2017, 10:03 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Deed is done! Taking the easy route, and keeping things all VeeTwin. Got the 107 cylinders from Kirby along with the various gaskets and such. He suggested a .040 head gasket to keep compression at 10.6-1 which he says is a sweet spot for my cams. He's also going to put the rings on the pistons for me, hopefully that helps.

Can't wait!

Old 01-09-2017, 08:41 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Originally Posted by robbyville
Deed is done! Taking the easy route, and keeping things all VeeTwin. Got the 107 cylinders from Kirby along with the various gaskets and such. He suggested a .040 head gasket to keep compression at 10.6-1 which he says is a sweet spot for my cams. He's also going to put the rings on the pistons for me, hopefully that helps.

Can't wait!
Not only the "easy route" but the smart one as well.........

robbyville (01-09-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 10:47 AM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 730 Likes on 502 Posts

Can't wait, this is gonna be great, it'll be a firecracker and you'll be glad you did!

I can't remember, have you changed either drive sprockets, like a 30th or rear sprocket or is it stock?

Old 01-09-2017, 10:51 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Suede Blue Man
Robby knows I'm here for him and his money is no object

I was going to do the HD 110" cylinders/piston kit but they wouldn't make me one in black, before they grind of the edges of the fins. Original on my bike are all black so had to stick with them and do the 107" and it's every bit a spirited ride
Thanks Suede, I do always enjoy the enthusiasm! Hope you get to ride soon!

Originally Posted by djl
Not only the "easy route" but the smart one as well.........
Thanks and agreed! I think I get caught up in the marketing speak, "drop in" sounds so simple along with the lure of more cubes that it's easy to forget things like ensuring parts mesh well. Working with Kirby has always been easy and I know that he's recommending parts that will work with the ones he already sold and built for me. I was happy that he could do the rings since it will mean a few less tools to buy and confusion. Now I'll have to review the whole piston installation video, manual, etc.

Looking forward to it though.

Old 01-09-2017, 12:07 PM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

You'll probably still have to clean the cylinders yourself. After doing two top ends and seeing the outcome of each I'm a fan of less is more with oiling the cylinders/pistons. This latest re-do I put a drop of oil in each ring land, spun the rings around in the groove(s) to lube them, and didn't even put any oil in the cylinder other than the coating of Marvel Mystery Oil that I applied during cleaning. A good piston ring compressor really helps with the installation. I got the nicest one as a birthday gift, it's made by Goodson. I could get by without it but. .it sure is nice to have.

You're completely right about the combination of parts being more important. I've seen sheets of 103's breaking 120hp/tq. Hard to believe as it isn't common but it can be done. Can't wait to see what mine does.

robbyville (01-09-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 12:11 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Suede Blue Man
Can't wait, this is gonna be great, it'll be a firecracker and you'll be glad you did!

I can't remember, have you changed either drive sprockets, like a 30th or rear sprocket or is it stock?
Still stock...for now!

Old 01-09-2017, 01:43 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Originally Posted by robbyville
Thanks and agreed! I think I get caught up in the marketing speak, "drop in" sounds so simple along with the lure of more cubes that it's easy to forget things like ensuring parts mesh well. Working with Kirby has always been easy and I know that he's recommending parts that will work with the ones he already sold and built for me. I was happy that he could do the rings since it will mean a few less tools to buy and confusion. Now I'll have to review the whole piston installation video, manual, etc.

Looking forward to it though.
Get a good ring compressor. Different ways to go at it but I install the pistons on the bench and the pin retainer on the left side. Position the rod where you want it, position the piston over the rod and slide the pin in and the retaining ring. Light coat of oil on the cylinder walls (clean them very well) and I install the rings dry but a drop of oil per Matt's post wouldn't hurt. Get that cylinder down and locked in place with head bolts and spacers and move on to the next. That's just me, some do it the other way; each to his own.

If the rings are on the pistons, that will eliminate the possibility of installing rings gapped for the front cylinder on the rear cylinder. If the rings are packed separately from the pistons, pay attention to insure the ring packs are installed on the right piston; they will be different.

Make sure you have the case bores closed off to prevent something from dropping into the crank case. I get those big sponges at the auto parts store for car washing and cut them to fit into the case bore with a slit to slide around the rod; lots of different ways to skin the cat.

Rumblin (01-09-2017)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can't leave well enough alone...