Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

S&s 110 kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 05:51 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

We have several combinations.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:38 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by RSDUDA
I have a power vision do a new license is $200
If you have the Power Vision, you don't need a new license; you need a tune. If your tuner has the Power Vision, he can sell you a license; saves you from buying the hardware/software but you still have to pay for the tune and you are locked to that tuner for future tunes which may or may not be a good thing. Either way, whatever the cost is to tune, that cost is in addition to parts and labor fore whatever you plan to build.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:43 AM
RSDUDA
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
If you have the Power Vision, you don't need a new license; you need a tune. If your tuner has the Power Vision, he can sell you a license; saves you from buying the hardware/software but you still have to pay for the tune and you are locked to that tuner for future tunes which may or may not be a good thing. Either way, whatever the cost is to tune, that cost is in addition to parts and labor fore whatever you plan to build.
I bought my power vision from Fuelmoto so I get life time tunes so it's just the license for that bike , well that is how it has worked in the past anyway

Old 01-10-2017, 09:25 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

I bought my power vision from Fuelmoto so I get life time tunes so it's just the license for that bike , well that is how it has worked in the past anyway
OK, so you have the Power Vision hardware/software which can be used to tune more than one bike, you just have to buy a license for each bike. You get life time maps, not tunes; a base map will get you close but a dyno is required to tune.

The following users liked this post:
RSDUDA (01-10-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 10:45 AM
RSDUDA
Road Captain

Originally Posted by djl
OK, so you have the Power Vision hardware/software which can be used to tune more than one bike, you just have to buy a license for each bike. You get life time maps, not tunes; a base map will get you close but a dyno is required to tune.
yes true

Old 01-11-2017, 09:18 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,104 Likes on 1,339 Posts

And I like the thought of gear drive cams
Before considering gear drive cams you will need to measure the crank runout, most late model cranks are not applicable for gear drive as they generally land in the .004-.006" range.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

The following users liked this post:
RSDUDA (01-12-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 07:13 AM
RSDUDA
Road Captain

S&S 110 chain drive kit is on it's way can't wait

Old 01-20-2017, 08:20 AM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,735 Likes on 3,504 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
I was under the impression that maps/tunes were based on results from Dyno testing, which if your configuration was the same as tested would bring you very close. An auto tune session would further fine tune your bike.

Obviously a Dynotune would be the most accurate method but could get expensive if you changed anything, like pipes or cams for example, down the line.

Old 01-20-2017, 10:28 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by roussfam
I was under the impression that maps/tunes were based on results from Dyno testing, which if your configuration was the same as tested would bring you very close. An auto tune session would further fine tune your bike.

Obviously a Dynotune would be the most accurate method but could get expensive if you changed anything, like pipes or cams for example, down the line.
I think your impression is correct but "very close" just doesn't cut it for me. Do you really believe that there is a map out there in cyberspace for every configuration we can come up with? Do you really believe that even if the built configuration is the same as the map configuration you will get the same results? I may be in the minority but I don't. I don't understand why anyone would spend $1500 and up to build a motor, another $400 on a fuel management system and not head straight to the local dyno tuner for break in and to optimize the investment, but that's just me.

Old 01-20-2017, 10:46 AM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,735 Likes on 3,504 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
I think your impression is correct but "very close" just doesn't cut it for me.
Thank you, nothing wrong with wanting to squeeze the last drop out of a tune either

Quick Reply: S&s 110 kit