Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Rockouts and Lifter Change

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 11:46 AM
ColoStreetGlide
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Rockouts and Lifter Change

OK, this is my first time into the engine and as I have some noisy lifters, I'm going to change them out to S&S. My question is, does anybody have any advice before I get into this? I've been doing some reading, watching some YouTube's and I have the manual.
Also, what does everybody like for gaskets for the rocker box and such? Should I go Harley or is there something I can just have it sent to my house from Amazon or something? I only need half of the valve cover gasket's as I'm only taking the top one off, then I need the breather parts and the pushrod tubes parts (O-rings) with the pushrod base gaskets.

Old 01-08-2017, 01:10 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

The rocker cover gaskets from Harley are the best, they run about $6 each from the dealer. I find that when buying online, by the time you pay shipping any savings is usually a wash.

If you plan on changing the breathers, the kit number is 17025-03A, you'll need 2 kits.

Some folks also elect to drill out the drain holes in the rocker support plates "while they're in there"....

1/8" drill bit is the size most often recommended here.

John @ Rockout

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below...

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 01-08-2017, 01:25 PM
ColoStreetGlide
Cruiser

Thanks John,
So it sounds like just running over to the Harley shop won't break the bank then.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:12 PM
Wv7o
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ROCKOUT Rocker Products
The rocker cover gaskets from Harley are the best, they run about $6 each from the dealer. I find that when buying online, by the time you pay shipping any savings is usually a wash.

If you plan on changing the breathers, the kit number is 17025-03A, you'll need 2 kits.

Some folks also elect to drill out the drain holes in the rocker support plates "while they're in there"....

John @ Rockout

Drilling out the return holes is this only needed on the twin cam 88 or does it apply to the 96 as well? Is the Mystfree kit just the drill bit or does it include the breathers?

First I have seen or heard of this, maybe I just don't remember for some reason. I already have the Rockouts installed.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:44 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Wv7o
Drilling out the return holes is this only needed on the twin cam 88 or does it apply to the 96 as well? Is the Mystfree kit just the drill bit or does it include the breathers?

First I have seen or heard of this, maybe I just don't remember for some reason. I already have the Rockouts installed.
It applies to all twin cams. The pic above was "borrowed" from another thread here.... it's an old pic, I don't even know if that kit is still available. I included it just to point out the locations of the holes.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:59 PM
Wv7o
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It applies to all twin cams. The pic above was "borrowed" from another thread here.... it's an old pic, I don't even know if that kit is still available. I included it just to point out the locations of the holes.

I will add it to my todo list, thanks for the reply.

Old 01-17-2017, 12:51 PM
ColoStreetGlide
Cruiser

John @ Rockout

Went to the HD shop and all they had to sell me was a while too-end kit that they sold me for $107.00. Do you have any part numbers for the rocker cover gaskets? Damn, feel like I got raped…

Old 01-17-2017, 01:30 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor

That's insane. Not unexpected from a dealer, but insane.

What year is your SG? You can look up the part numbers yourself here... http://www.outpostalaska.com/OEMpartfinder.htm

They should be about 6 bux & change each.

Let me know if you need me to look them up for you.

John @ Rockout.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:46 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,236 Likes on 1,255 Posts

I changed out my cams over last summer and swapped out the polished aluminum rocker covers for chromed.

Definitely get new breather assemblies. I made the mistake of trying to reuses the existing ones and it didn't work. Access to the rocker cover bolts can be a bitch. I used an allen bit for a screwdriver that fit (can't remember if it was 1/4" or 3/16", but think it was 1/4"), in conjunction with a corresponding size wrench. A standard allen cut down also works, but takes forever. Also, I had read about using a piece of wood pushing down on the rear cylinder to compress the rubber mount a smidge. This allowed a little better access to some of the bolts. Motion Pro also makes a pretty good tool for access to these bolts. I used HD gaskets for the rocker covers as well. If you're going in from the top of the tappet covers, some of those screws are a bitch to get to as well. I used a Fuehling gasket kit for the overall cam change and IIRC, it also contained tappet cover gaskets as well.
Regarding the S&S lifters, I used those as well and they seem fine. Since I was using adjustable push rods, I was able to slightly increase the preload (not sure if this is the correct term) from .0125 to .0140 on recommendation of some of the master tech guys on the forum, and it helped with valve train chatter. Much quieter now.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:04 PM
Little Mike
Road Master
Received 93 Likes on 24 Posts

Just did an overhaul myself. I used Johnson Hi-Lift lifters after some ongoing confusion on the part of S&S as to where their Standard lifters were made. All went well, the bolts aren't so bad if you pull the seat...except for the left rear corner of the rear jug. Nothing is going to make that one any easier, lol. Harley gaskets have worked fine. Sorry about the whole kit thing at your dealer BTW. Mine is still noisy at start up but gets nice and quiet after it has run for a minute or two. Currently chasing the cause of that. Either one of the new lifters is leaking down after I shut it down or the stock solid rods aren't providing enough pre-load for these lifters. Kind of hoping that's the case since I already have a set of SE adjustable rods I can install.

Quick Reply: Rockouts and Lifter Change