Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Special tools for Rocker Base upgrade & Lifter Replacement

Old 01-13-2017, 10:09 AM
Backforty
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,696 Likes on 1,866 Posts

Not on a Harley but I have the shop manual and I'm paying attention to threads like this and others for tip and tricks.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:33 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,206 Likes on 1,248 Posts

If it helps.....

Access to some of the bolts on the rocker covers can be a bitch. I did my cams last summer and as part of the process swapped out the polished aluminum rocker covers for chromed. MotionPro sells this tool, or you use an allen bit for a screw driver set in conjunction with a ratcheting wrench of the same size. Put the bit through the ratcheting head of wrench and go to town. If you don't have a ratcheting head wrench, use a standard wrench that fits the bit. IIRC, those bolts take 1/4" allen. Also, I had read about using a piece of wood to push down on the rear cylinder to allow slightly better access to some of the bolts. This compresses the rubber mounts slightly and give a little better access to some of those bolts.

Last edited by rauchman; 01-19-2017 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:28 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,010 Likes on 1,489 Posts

I torque those bolts that cannot be reached with a torque wrench by "feel". Use whatever wrench you can get on the unreachable fasteners and tighten it until if "feels" as tight as a properly torqued fastener; never had a leak. I have changed all those fasteners to 12pt ARP fasteners and, like rauchman, use a ratcheting box end wrench to tighten those unreachable fasteners.

These are not critical fasteners. Just need to be tight enough to keep oil inside; no special tools required.

Last edited by djl; 01-19-2017 at 01:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rauchman (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 10:41 AM
ColoStreetGlide
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rauchman
If it helps.....

Access to some of the bolts on the rocker covers can be a bitch. I did my cams last summer and as part of the process swapped out the polished aluminum rocker covers for chromed. MotionPro sells this tool, or you use an allen bit for a screw driver set in conjunction with a ratcheting wrench of the same size. Put the bit through the ratcheting head of wrench and go to town. If you don't have a ratcheting head wrench, use a standard wrench that fits the bit. IIRC, those bolts take 1/4" allen. Also, I had read about using a piece of wood to push down on the rear cylinder to allow slightly better access to some of the bolts. This compresses the rubber mounts slightly and give a little better access to some of those bolts.
It does help, thank you!

The following users liked this post:
rauchman (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 12:02 PM
PeterV
Tourer
Received 168 Likes on 59 Posts

(Keep torque wrench at 90 to length of extension added, so torque wrench doesn't misread value)

Old 01-19-2017, 01:45 PM
ColoStreetGlide
Cruiser

Thank you for the tips! Did you bleed/ pump up your lifters before you installed them?

Old 01-19-2017, 07:49 PM
PeterV
Tourer
Received 168 Likes on 59 Posts

No, I've used SE adjustable rods. Adjusting the rods bleeds down the lifters.
Never had to fill new lifters with oil on initial install. Already filled with light grade oil.
Install, adjust and start.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:56 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,784 Likes on 9,863 Posts

I put S&S standards in mine when I did the Rock Outs as well. I did not soak or pre-oil the lifters before I put them in. I had no noise at start up.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:02 PM
ColoStreetGlide
Cruiser

Originally Posted by PeterV
No, I've used SE adjustable rods. Adjusting the rods bleeds down the lifters.
Never had to fill new lifters with oil on initial install. Already filled with light grade oil.
Install, adjust and start.
Originally Posted by QC
I put S&S standards in mine when I did the Rock Outs as well. I did not soak or pre-oil the lifters before I put them in. I had no noise at start up.
Awesome guys, thanks so much!

Old 01-19-2017, 08:16 PM
rsking45
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by QC
What's your opinion on the rock nuts? Are they worth the time doing?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Special tools for Rocker Base upgrade & Lifter Replacement