Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Big bore and carb question

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 06:14 PM
pegskraper
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big bore and carb question

Hey all

I have an 02 FXDL 88" that needed the cam chain tensioners done. I decided to go all the way and get the jugs bored to 95", headwork, 10.5:1 compression and S&S 585 cams with the screaming eagle hydraulic upgrade for tensioners. The shop that did the work highly recommended me throwing an S&S E carb on there to get all the power. I have the stock CV carb right now and an assortment of jets.

It was a pretty expensive job, near 3800$ cdn for the work/parts already (includes all gaskets, new lifters, adjustable pushrods etc). Basically once I finish paying for the work I can pick up my parts and put it back together.

That carb will cost me an extra 700$ plus I think I might need new throttle cables, I'm wondering if throwing the S&S on is totally necessary, am I leaving a lot of performance on the table by skipping the carb right now? Or should I do it in your opinion??? Cash is a bit of an issue right now, but might not be in the near future..

Old 01-12-2017, 08:13 PM
wfolarry
Tourer
Received 158 Likes on 86 Posts

Put it on in the future when you have the money. Unless you're bouncing off the rev limiter a lot you won't notice.

The following users liked this post:
pegskraper (01-12-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 07:18 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by pegskraper
Hey all

I have an 02 FXDL 88" that needed the cam chain tensioners done. I decided to go all the way and get the jugs bored to 95", headwork, 10.5:1 compression and S&S 585 cams with the screaming eagle hydraulic upgrade for tensioners. The shop that did the work highly recommended me throwing an S&S E carb on there to get all the power. I have the stock CV carb right now and an assortment of jets.

It was a pretty expensive job, near 3800$ cdn for the work/parts already (includes all gaskets, new lifters, adjustable pushrods etc). Basically once I finish paying for the work I can pick up my parts and put it back together.

That carb will cost me an extra 700$ plus I think I might need new throttle cables, I'm wondering if throwing the S&S on is totally necessary, am I leaving a lot of performance on the table by skipping the carb right now? Or should I do it in your opinion??? Cash is a bit of an issue right now, but might not be in the near future..
Don't throw the CV out with the bathwater.
Good carb.
Manifold port-match to the heads, and jet accordingly as needed.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:32 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

it really depends on what the heads flow,if their in the 245-250 area,dont bother with a bigger carb.255-up a S&S E or 45mm mikuni would be nice.that said,your bike will run fine with the CV carb,youll just leave a bit on the table.ide look into a 1.760" runner,S&S CV manifold & port match it

Old 01-13-2017, 12:16 PM
Kingofcubes
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pegskraper
Hey all

I would buy a SE 44mm CV if it were me.

Old 01-13-2017, 01:21 PM
81rat
Road Warrior
Received 438 Likes on 270 Posts

Stay with the CV -- man you can do a lot with some jets and time

Old 01-13-2017, 01:58 PM
ractrev
Road Warrior
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I am running a 40 CV on a 102 HP 95" build - works perfect when set up properly. I run a wide band so it is easy to keep track of things, but it takes much less jetting than one would think.

Old 01-13-2017, 02:11 PM
springers4ever
Road Master
Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts
Cool Bottle Neck !!!

Originally Posted by 81rat
Stay with the CV -- man you can do a lot with some jets and time

Dat's right !!! lets do all this performance work ...cams , bigger pistons , ported heads , high compression , and put a stock carb back on it ...damn !! look at the $$$$$$ we saved ...!!!

be sure to let us know how that bottle neck works out for ya !!!
at least a 44mm or better ...as stated before ...the 45mm will find all the HP available !!!
do it right the first time !!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mikuni-45-4-...3D331579471705

you'll also need to upgrade the ignition module !!!
start out on the 32B setting ...
unless you'er just going to run the STOCK ignition too !!! that will make alot of power !!!
hell...it may not even start with the stock ignition !! ...@ 10.5:1 ....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynatek-CDI-...VYLjPL&vxp=mtr

Last edited by springers4ever; 01-13-2017 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:22 PM
pegskraper
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
Don't throw the CV out with the bathwater.
Good carb.
Manifold port-match to the heads, and jet accordingly as needed.
Scott
what is manifold port-matching to the heads? Afaik the shop ported the exhaust, put in better valve springs, valve guides, ground the valves and the seats and decked the heads for higher compression

Old 01-14-2017, 11:37 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,235 Likes on 1,811 Posts

You know...one thing I learned a long time ago (because I was open to learning) and has served me well through the years is...

"Know your Audience"

Quick Reply: Big bore and carb question