Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Question about cams

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 01:03 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Tedwilliams09
If you are taking the whole upgrade kit from the previous motor, and it ran good.

Why the concern?? If you truly believe it ran good then go with it.

It almost sounds like you are second guessing how well it ran before??
No, the other engine ran great. I was just exploring possible combinations that would not require pulling the jugs because I was not sure if I wanted to do that now.

Old 03-15-2017, 12:03 PM
13RoadKing
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by skinman13
They were supposedly replaced by a local dealer at 33K miles and I just rolled over 61K miles. It was time to check them and it was time for an oil change and I wanted to clean up and polish the cam cover and install chrome hardware at the same time.

The outer one looks like it might have 28K miles on it, but I am not too sure the inner one has ever been replaced even though it was supposed to have been.

outer

this doesn't look like 28K miles...
Outer looks like pad was stuck on axle, that is why one end of it is worn out. Defective part unless mechanic damaged it before installation.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:36 PM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Received 2,788 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by 13roadking
outer looks like pad was stuck on axle, that is why one end of it is worn out. Defective part unless mechanic damaged it before installation.
axle??

Do you know what part you're looking at?

Last edited by MURPHCC1; 03-15-2017 at 08:44 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:46 PM
13RoadKing
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MURPHCC1
axle??

Do you know what part you're looking at?
Each plastic pad is attached to steel lever by a rivet. Pads can turn on the rivets (axles). One of pads is worn out evenly, another one was stuck and one end of it is worn out, another one is not. Look at pictures. I have never repaired bike engine except valve adjustment. You don't need to be a mechanic to understand, just look at pictures of both tensioners, do you see difference?

Did you ever repair Harley engine? What did you do?

Old 03-20-2017, 12:14 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by 13RoadKing
Each plastic pad is attached to steel lever by a rivet. Pads can turn on the rivets (axles). One of pads is worn out evenly, another one was stuck and one end of it is worn out, another one is not. Look at pictures. I have never repaired bike engine except valve adjustment. You don't need to be a mechanic to understand, just look at pictures of both tensioners, do you see difference?

The inside tensioner sees more wear because of the direction of the inner cam chain. It runs from the top of the shoe to the bottom. The outer tensioner shoe has the chain running bottom to top and allows the tensioner arm to "float" a little better than the inside one which, in essence, drags the shoe into the chain.

In some cases, you do need to be a mechanic. This is one of those cases.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 03-20-2017 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:45 PM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Received 2,788 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by 13RoadKing

YES....i have wrenched on every motorcycle I have ever owned......

your description of an AXLE is way off..........

Have NEVER heard that type of pivot point being called an axle......and pretty sure MOST people havent either.........seeing that an axle has either a rod or spindle passing through a WHEEL or a group of WHEELS.......

thats a pivot point.....NOT an AXLE!!