Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

259e cams in a 2012 103 street glide

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 01:57 PM
rblahetka
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by hrdtail78
I would NOT consider the SE street tuner or pro street tuner. There are other flash tuners for about the same price that wont limit your changes.
Not going with the street one. Found a new non-street one and going with that. I have heard that the 204's with 1.7 rockers works real nice as well.

Old 03-15-2017, 02:37 PM
Br125
Tourer
Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by rblahetka
Not going with the street one. Found a new non-street one and going with that. I have heard that the 204's with 1.7 rockers works real nice as well.
I would go with the andrews 57 and advance it 4 degrees. Basically the same specs as the 204, but with more lift than the 204 with the SE rockers.

Old 03-15-2017, 03:33 PM
rblahetka
Tourer
Talking

Originally Posted by Br125
I would go with the andrews 57 and advance it 4 degrees. Basically the same specs as the 204, but with more lift than the 204 with the SE rockers.
Yes, but would it come with a Screamin' Eagle sticker?

In all seriousness, I am keen on the idea of a map being available for the SE cam and it being more or less plug and play. It will be probably much later in the year when I can have this thing dyno tuned as I have been spending money like water on this bike, and I have only had it a few weeks. As far as if I were to go with the Andrews cam, I am assuming I need a different key way or something to advance it 4 degrees?

Old 03-16-2017, 09:00 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Yes, but would it come with a Screamin' Eagle sticker?

In all seriousness, I am keen on the idea of a map being available for the SE cam and it being more or less plug and play. It will be probably much later in the year when I can have this thing dyno tuned as I have been spending money like water on this bike, and I have only had it a few weeks. As far as if I were to go with the Andrews cam, I am assuming I need a different key way or something to advance it 4 degrees?
4* pinion sprocket; Woods and Andrews sell them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Andrews-Cran...tW3hCD&vxp=mtr

The following users liked this post:
rblahetka (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 11:41 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

In all seriousness, I am keen on the idea of a map being available for the SE cam and it being more or less plug and play.
I didn't have much luck with the canned map Harley loaded for the 204 with the old super tuner. On a hot day it would pre-detonate like crazy. The only way I got it fixed was to take it to a good local tuner. I am not saying it wont work for your application only that it was a PITA for me. I have heard the 204 can be a bitch to dial in.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:56 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by todd-67
I didn't have much luck with the canned map Harley loaded for the 204 with the old super tuner. On a hot day it would pre-detonate like crazy. The only way I got it fixed was to take it to a good local tuner. I am not saying it wont work for your application only that it was a PITA for me. I have heard the 204 can be a bitch to dial in.
The 204 has a wicked advance curve with 8* advance ground into the profile. If static CR is greater than 9.8 and ambient temps get up in the 90s the motor will ping, even on premium fuel and a good tune. 9.6 static is considered "safe" for the 204 in areas where summer time ambient temps get really hot. I ran the 204 in 95" motor in south Texas; built the motor in September, CCP 190ish, SERT tuned by one of the best and the motor ran great until the following July. When south Texas heated up; she started to ping. We backed out timing to mitigate the detonation but backing out timing killed the power and I had to change cams.

Old 03-16-2017, 05:38 PM
rblahetka
Tourer

It doesn't usually get too crazy hot here in Illinois, but still I would like to avoid pinging and making the bike unreliable. I have also heard the 204 can be hard to tune as well. As far as the Andrews came with the 4 degree gear, would I be in the same possible boat with the pinging? I like the idea of not having to by rockers on top of the cam.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:17 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

It doesn't usually get too crazy hot here in Illinois, but still I would like to avoid pinging and making the bike unreliable. I have also heard the 204 can be hard to tune as well. As far as the Andrews came with the 4 degree gear, would I be in the same possible boat with the pinging? I like the idea of not having to by rockers on top of the cam.
If you are worried about detonation, keep CCP below 190psi regardless of cam choice; a good tune and you should be fine.

rblahetka (03-17-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 08:24 AM
rblahetka
Tourer

I ended up pulling the trigger and ordered the 57H's last night. I am going to order the 4 degree gear as well. From the beginning I wanted to avoid using adjustable push rods and planned on pulling the valve covers to install the rock out kit while I was at it. So, I have the cams coming, rock outs, cam lube, and the puller and press tools for the bearings. Now the question is, what gasket / bearing kit do I get so I am sure have everything so I can hit the ground running? I am hoping to tackle this next weekend.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:23 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

I ended up pulling the trigger and ordered the 57H's last night. I am going to order the 4 degree gear as well. From the beginning I wanted to avoid using adjustable push rods and planned on pulling the valve covers to install the rock out kit while I was at it. So, I have the cams coming, rock outs, cam lube, and the puller and press tools for the bearings. Now the question is, what gasket / bearing kit do I get so I am sure have everything so I can hit the ground running? I am hoping to tackle this next weekend.
I don't believe there is a kit that will include everything you need. Several cam install kits with inner bearings, cam retaining ring and cam cover gasket are available. However, you need rocker box and lifter cover gaskets, pushrod O-rings, cam plate O-rings and cam spacers. Falcon Sales sells complete top end kits for early TCs that are pretty cheap, like $60 and will include every gasket and o-ring you need with the exception of cam spacers. You will get a bunch of stuff you don't need but it might be cheaper than buying the individual pieces that you do need; your call. The kits are for pre '07 models but all the gaskets, O-rings, etc. that you need are in the kit and fit. You may have to make a trip to your local dealer to pick up the miscellaneous bits and pieces you need.

http://stores.ebay.com/Falcon-Sales-...p2047675.l2563

rblahetka (03-17-2017)

Quick Reply: 259e cams in a 2012 103 street glide