Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

99 883 no spark, but has power. Trigger rotor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 03:40 PM
Blowngasketcasket
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 883 no spark, but has power. Trigger rotor?

OK so I have posted this in the ignition thread section and got no where.. But I am now on to the more mechanical aspect of an issue.. After replacing my coil, battery, ignition circuit breaker, ignition control module, and checking all wires and electrical switch's/fuse's. I removed the ICM and noticed the trigger rotor... I tried starting my motor but the trigger rotor does not spin... So I removed the 8mm bolt that held the rotor in place tried it again and nothing spun still.. So I removed the inspection cover on the opposite side of the motor and the chain is tight and has plenty of oil.. It is also rotating with the starter so with this being said where am I to go from here what am I to check next... Please if you have any questions or if you have any advise please post. Also if you need more info check my other thread.. I will also post a video I made of the issue with my bike!!

Old 03-15-2017, 03:42 PM
Blowngasketcasket
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blowngasketcasket
OK so I have posted this in the ignition thread section and got no where.. But I am now on to the more mechanical aspect of an issue.. After replacing my coil, battery, ignition circuit breaker, ignition control module, and checking all wires and electrical switch's/fuse's. I removed the ICM and noticed the trigger rotor... I tried starting my motor but the trigger rotor does not spin... So I removed the 8mm bolt that held the rotor in place tried it again and nothing spun still.. So I removed the inspection cover on the opposite side of the motor and the chain is tight and has plenty of oil.. It is also rotating with the starter so with this being said where am I to go from here what am I to check next... Please if you have any questions or if you have any advise please post. Also if you need more info check my other thread.. I will also post a video I made of the issue with my bike!!

Old 03-16-2017, 07:37 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

For starters, ditch the lousey braided metal covering on those wires.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:47 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm guessing, but the ground wire most likely grounds the engine to the frame. Look for a good engine ground to attach it...most likely the bolt/nut came loose.

It's possible that without that ground wire, the engine doesn't have a good ground and anything electrical attached to the engine (coil, spark plugs, trigger rotor sensor, etc.) is floating and possibly not operating correctly.

Where does the battery neg. cable attach??

Start by grounding it to the engine. If you still have no spark, look at the leads from the coil to the rotor sensor.

Last edited by nhrider1; 03-16-2017 at 08:29 AM.