Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Flat cam, spun cam bearing on TC88

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 01:30 PM
DCharriere
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flat cam, spun cam bearing on TC88

Getting close to 24K on my 2001 Heritage Softail, I knew that I had to look at my cam chain tensioners. I didn't want to have to inspect / replace them every 20K to 30K, so I opted to replace the chains, sprockets and tensions with an S&S gear-drive assemby. And while I'm there, I figured I might as well put in Andrews 37G cams. Also, a 4 degree advance key made by Wood Performance. So, the process started out as an inspection and an upgrade. I just hit 24K on it last week and didn't want to take a chance on the tensioner wearing too far and causing a catastrophic failure of the engine. So, this past weekend, I tore it apart to do the inspection and the upgrade. It appears that I caught the outer tensioner just in time. I doubt that it would have gone another 5K. The inner tensioner was about 25% worn. But, what I was really surprise to find, was the the front camshaft was starting to go flat...both lobes, one more than the other. The rear cam was fine. Also, the rear cam bearing had spun in its bore. It seems odd that with the low mileage on the bike, and all oil and filter changes done timely, that this would happen. I have been using Syn 3 since I got the bike when it had only 10,600 on the bike. The previous owner told me he had the 1K service, the 5K service and the 10k services done at the dealer. I have no reason to doubt him. Has anybody else had this kind of finding when tearing it down at this kind of mileage? I would appreciate hearing from others regarding this issue.
Thanks in advance for your comments. Daryl

Old 11-04-2008, 01:02 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

the parts you mentioned seem to have a mind of their own. They wear out at extreemely different rates in each motor. we've seen all the things you mentioned in different engines and in the same engine. Make sure that you check out the oil pump for scoring. If it is scored replace it. If the lobes are worn significantly you may have to flush out the oil tank and lines. If you have any questions PM me. Hope this helps.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:03 AM
puma
Advanced
Default cam wear

A few years back I changed my cams & chain to a gear drive on my '99 FLHT, it had about the same milage as yours 24000. The hard surfacing was all wore off the lobes & 1 tensioner was 50% wore. My brother has a '00 Softail with 65000 mi & has never had the cover off to even check it.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:29 PM
Romeo Renegade
Stage I

Harley makes a Screamin eagle Hydraulic cam tensioner upgrade kit. Parts and Labor are around $1100.00 If your bike is a 99-2006 big twin I would definitely look in to upgrading your cam tensioner. if that tensioner goes bad it will abort the motor BIG TIME!

Old 08-20-2009, 03:50 PM
texas_speed_freak
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

as a tech ive seen the cam bearings go out. its mainly in the case though. if you look at them when you pull them out they are a roller bearing that has a plastic cage to hold them in. they go bearing, spacer, bearing, spacer. the new ones from S+S have all bearings with no cage to go out.
My 1999 dyna with 5k miles when i bought it in 08 had the same cam problem. it had the lobes wearing down and also the tensioners were close to half worn. with 5k!!

ATTN:
Another thing to consider is the early model TC's had a keyed camshaft where the outer gear goes on. this is a recall item as the keyway sometimes sheared. thats why all the cams now use a splined shaft and gear. when i got into mine it had not had the update. watch for this while inspecting the tensioners on the 99-02? i believe. if the keyway shears it will ruin alot more than your cams.

http://www.bamph.com/rmh/TC88cambearing.htm
here is a link that explains the entire cam bearing failure issue and states i believe that it is a warranty issue and is covered, but dont quote me on that. read the article