Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Dyna won't start, just clicks! Battery good!

Old 01-12-2012, 08:23 PM
StewedScrewed'N'Tattooed
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyna won't start, just clicks! Battery good!

I went out to start my bike a few days ago after sitting for a few weeks. Battery works but it makes a loud clicking sound when I try to start her up. Could it have something to do with the starter? I'm trying to avoid towing her over to the stealership. 2003 Dyna Low rider. Recently had handlbars installed with extentions....if that helps

Old 01-12-2012, 08:30 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Double check the battery conections and if that dont fix it take the bat to autozone and get it load tested. Once the bat is confirmed good we can go from there!

Old 01-12-2012, 08:34 PM
StewedScrewed'N'Tattooed
1st Gear

I assumed the battery is good because all the lights are super bright and I put it on a trickle charger for 3 days. I'm going to pull it out and cart it down to Auto Zone just to confirm. I hope it's not the starter!

Old 01-12-2012, 08:43 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Dont throw the starter out with the bath water. If it is the starter it would be the solinoid contact plate and it would just need some filing. Check the relay's and the fuses. One step at a time. Here's a break down of the starter:
http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....dmc&A=379&B=14

Last edited by soft 02; 01-12-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:05 PM
ahhwataday
Tourer

Check your connections. Frounds can come loose from the engine. I would check Ground to engine, then battery terminals, then tap the starter with a rubber hammer or...what ever. then Id put it in gear and rock it back, put in neutral, then back in gear and rock it back wards...back to nuetral....turn the key. If nothing, I would push it down the driveway and pop the clutch. If you can do that let it run. Take a volt meter to the battery, revi it up and see if voltage climbs.

This will sheck your stator and battery. If you replace the battery and have a bad staor you will waste money on batterys

Old 02-12-2012, 07:00 AM
Norb5150
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

By what you are describing, Im betting your battery is the problem. You can charge a battery all you want, if it has a dead cell in it your not going to be able to keep it charged. My 03 dyna original battery took its last charge two years ago bike was doing same thing not enough power to turn engine over but all lights and other electronics were working fine and bright. I personally put another Harley battery in as replacement of old one, but Im sure that you can save a couple pennies elsewhere if you shop around

Old 02-12-2012, 08:07 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,324 Likes on 3,269 Posts

jump start it....if it starts then it's probably the battery or the connectors.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:38 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts
Default One Step At A Time

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
jump start it....if it starts then it's probably the battery or the connectors.
If you have a bad battery "jump starting" the bike may not work! You want to check the battery and charging system first! A good battery at rest (with the bike off) should read 12.9 Volts. A reading of 12.7 volts would meen that you have a 25% discharged battery. When you go to start the bike, the reading might go down (under the load) to 12.2 to 12.3 volts BUT NO LOWER! If it does, the battery is either bad or discharged. If you can get the bike push started (popping the clutch) you should get a reading of 14.2 or so volts. That would meen the charging system is working properly.

Start at the beginning and work from there. Assuming stuff can get really expensive, really fast.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:19 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,324 Likes on 3,269 Posts

If the battery is bad and you jump it them you know it's not probably not the starter, stator wiring , ignition switch, ignition..etc....narrows it down to battery and or battery cables connectors.
Then take the battery to Autozone or Advance auto to have it load tested.

Last edited by Notgrownup; 02-12-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:50 PM
debekay
Stage I

Is there a easy way to remove the batery cover. The cover is under the frame under the seat ...... yes I removed the seat!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dyna won't start, just clicks! Battery good!