Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

88" upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 05:59 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

http://amsmotomachine.com/index.php/hdparts

this is one option i was thinkin of going, this price is right for sure

i dont really know what to expect as far as price but i was hoping to spend around $2,500 total cost for upgrade and tune

Old 04-23-2014, 06:06 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Scott at Hillside Performance did a 98" kit for me: jugs, pistons milled to your cams and rings fitted, gasket kit for just over $600. Very knowledgeable and great guy to talk to and deal with.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:23 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by QC
Scott at Hillside Performance did a 98" kit for me: jugs, pistons milled to your cams and rings fitted, gasket kit for just over $600. Very knowledgeable and great guy to talk to and deal with.

I would like to talk to him for sure.
thanks

Old 04-23-2014, 09:32 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by hell hound
I am all done with the move and ready to start thinkin about this again. I am thinkin of going to Lazano to check it out. If they still do the second saterday on the month that would be may 10. I will try to go that day.

Maybe Lazano is the way to go for the whole deal? Seems worth takin to them to see what they offer and i do like dealin local so that would be nice

I dont really want to jump on the first deal someone offers, so i probobly be getting some options
Mike is now offering a kit for a big bore upgrade, not sure on the details or price. If you plan on going over on May 10, I will probably meet you there. Let me know if you will be there in the AM or PM.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:57 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by djl
Mike is now offering a kit for a big bore upgrade, not sure on the details or price. If you plan on going over on May 10, I will probably meet you there. Let me know if you will be there in the AM or PM.
that sounds good, thanks
i will let you know if i am able to make it
thanks again

Old 04-23-2014, 09:14 PM
lizard86
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just did a 98" build I got from hillside. Still breaking it in but already a noticeable increase in power from the stock 88. Scott suggested Mike as well. You guys are just a few hours from me. If you are going to Lozanos shop on the 10th I just might ride up there and meet you guys and we can all talk to mike.
It was about $1300 for my 98" kit from hillside complete with adjustable pushrods, cams, bearings and gaskets. Definitely give Scott a call. Great guy.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:15 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by lizard86
I just did a 98" build I got from hillside. Still breaking it in but already a noticeable increase in power from the stock 88. Scott suggested Mike as well. You guys are just a few hours from me. If you are going to Lozanos shop on the 10th I just might ride up there and meet you guys and we can all talk to mike.
It was about $1300 for my 98" kit from hillside complete with adjustable pushrods, cams, bearings and gaskets. Definitely give Scott a call. Great guy.
Mike has been doing my machine work and tuning for years. His brother actually does the porting; that guy can listen to a head on the flow bench and tell you what it flows; mad skills. There is usually a pretty good turn out on his "dyno day"; metrics and vtwins. Mike doesn't do any tuning but will do a couple of pulls so the owner can see what the motor is doing; no charge for the pulls. I have see a lot of guys come in with bikes with motor work done at dealerships or other independents that told the owners the build would make this TQ/HP and watch them walk away very disappointed and scratching their heads. However, the will also walk away knowing what corrections are required to optimize performance. You would be suprised at how many owners spend a wad of money for a motor build but can't tell you what cam set was installed.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:32 PM
lizard86
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah. I know a few guys like that. You would think if they're spending that kinda money they would want to know whats going into their bike. I researched for months before I finally decided on what I was gonna do with my build. I'll try to round up a group from my area to go ip there on the 10th. I'll PM you when I decide.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:45 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member

not going to make it this saterday, family plans

Old 05-06-2014, 05:50 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by hell hound
Ive been reading alot of threads on motor upgrades and am waiting to starting planning mine. Thinking of first collecting parts or at least start saving money and then doing the job when i can do it all at once. definatly need some help picking this stuff out. I started to ask some questions on other threads but just thought to start my own.

My bike is an 06 superglide i bought new and now has 81,000 miles. At 50,000 i put in andrews 37 with 4* advance, SE tapered pushrods, hylift lifters, and new SE inner cam bearings and a bub 7 2 to 1. I did the work at home and had it dynoed at a shop close to home. bike has pc3. also the bike still has stock tensioners. the bike also has andrews 30t

other work ive done is last month rebuilt tranny due to the double roller bearing going out. at this time i replaced some stock compensator parts and installed baker manual primary chain tensioner, clutch is stock

i like to do as much work myself as possible to learn how to do it and beacause im really cheap

basically i want to increase displacement, do head work and upgrade/ maintanance in cam chest as needed, id like to reuse as many parts as possible like cams, but could be talked into changing if it was worth it

I realize it is a good idea to check run out at this time. unless it is really bad i am leaning toward just leaving the cases alone. i will most likely continue to use chain drive cams too.

so, my bike has about 3 persanalities. i take about one long trip a year(something like SA to Sturgis), do some Sunday cruisin with the wife, commute some between SA and Austin, but i really like hotroddin around with friends, racin between lights, doin an occasional burn out, and everyonce in a while like to go to test and tune night

i hardly ever am under 2800 rpms and do most of my cruisin around 3000, bike is the most fun to ride over 3500. i like to be able to cruise around 3000 and know that i can downshift and be able to pull steady all the way to red line.

i really dont want to sacrifice ridability or touring dependabily at all, but To be completly honest i want to smoke my friends with thier new 103's.

dont know if it matters but i wiegh about 175

lookin for advice
Bore to 98"
Port t/body or replace with 51mm HPI
Heads that move 155-160 cfm @ 10"
Set compession to 9.8-10.0
That'll show those 103"s your tail light........
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record