Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Cam upgrade stock engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 06:50 PM
KDUBYA
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cam upgrade stock engine

I've been talking to some people that say a cam upgrade will be the biggest bang for my buck in my stock 07 96" street Glide, even over a 103" big bore kit. True or False? What cams should I use? what else would I need in conjunction with the cam change? I've heard adjustable pushrods (which ones?) and new push rod tubes?

Old 04-02-2014, 09:14 PM
GraemeR
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

The short answer is YES....

BUT, it will not work properly unless you do it in conjunction with fuelling tweaks (ie a dyno tune) and preferabley a free flowing exhaust system.

Adjustable push rods are bloody handy if you do a lot of work in the cam area as you do not have to pull the rocker covers each time to remove the rods. They are also compulsory if you go to a high lift cam as using stock push rods on a high lift cam will result in the lifters not bleeding down enough - lots of noise will result.

Reuse the stock push rod tubes as they do not alter in length - just the push rods themselves.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:23 PM
KDUBYA
Tourer

So I need to put a tuner - power commander type in it as well? Any thoughts on brand and number of cams?

Old 04-02-2014, 09:36 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,784 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Cam choice depends a lot on riding style. Andrews 26 for low to mid-range riding, Andrews 57 for more mid-range to upper rpm riding. 57 is a pretty good all around cam in a 96. A PCIII from FuelMoto is hard to beat.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:53 PM
fidel
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

with a andrews 57 better with more compression on a touring i av a 57 in a rk 98 ci set at 10 to 1 cp wfo larry headwork stage 1+ 26 is good choice for a 88 ci but for a 96 andrews 48 is better for just a cam swap u can use stock push rod but u need to remove gas tank and rocker if u choose adjustable less work u can use smith brothers push rod u dont av to change pr tubes with sm depend of the milleage i change lifter when i put a new cam when ur in the cam area change inner and outer bearing used torrington bearing and a tuner or dyno tune and feel like a new bike its the best bang for a buck if u go 103 to av good result u av to change cam anyway and head gasket maybe port job lollll always a question of what s ur target and whats ur budget

Old 04-02-2014, 11:46 PM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

Originally Posted by KDUBYA
I've been talking to some people that say a cam upgrade will be the biggest bang for my buck in my stock 07 96" street Glide, even over a 103" big bore kit. True or False? What cams should I use? what else would I need in conjunction with the cam change? I've heard adjustable pushrods (which ones?) and new push rod tubes?
some people are telling you this but they cannot tell you what cam to use?

Old 04-03-2014, 07:01 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by KDUBYA
Yes a good cam and tuner is probably the best bang for the buck. I would do the pipes and A/C too for best possible results.

The Andrews 48H is a very good cam for your bike. I like adjustable push rods, but you can stay with stock if you like. I use S/E tapered adjustables. They come with shorter push rod tubes to make adjustment easier. S&S and others make 'quickee' adj. push rods with covers to match. Smith Brothers/Fuel Moto are good adjustables, but not 'quickee' style so a bit more fiddly to install.

Change the inner cam bearings to full compliment Koyo (formerly Torrington) and if the lifters have more than 20,000 mi. change them too. Gaterman or S&S would be my choice.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:31 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by nhrider1
Yes a good cam and tuner is probably the best bang for the buck. I would do the pipes and A/C too for best possible results.

The Andrews 48H is a very good cam for your bike. I like adjustable push rods, but you can stay with stock if you like. I use S/E tapered adjustables. They come with shorter push rod tubes to make adjustment easier. S&S and others make 'quickee' adj. push rods with covers to match. Smith Brothers/Fuel Moto are good adjustables, but not 'quickee' style so a bit more fiddly to install.

Change the inner cam bearings to full compliment Koyo (formerly Torrington) and if the lifters have more than 20,000 mi. change them too. Gaterman or S&S would be my choice.
I will mostly agree If you do not plan big bore or other mods Andrews 48 is a great cam for a stage 1 96 bagger. No real need for adjustable push rods but they are handy and SE tapered are good. Torrington type (SE are good) inner cam bearings are good insurance! If ya want/need new lifters, Comp chevy lifters are fine or S&S are good if ya got money to burn. A proper tune will make the real difference! Good luck!

Old 04-03-2014, 10:03 AM
viperpit07
Cruiser

Ive heard good things about kuryakyn cams for having a nice all around balance to them.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:45 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,018 Likes on 1,492 Posts

Originally Posted by viperpit07
Ive heard good things about kuryakyn cams for having a nice all around balance to them.
I have never run any of the Kury cams but when considering a set for a build I did some investigating and came to the conclusion that Kury cams respond to head work suited for the Kury cam profile which is atypical. If you want to run Kury cams, selecting a head porter that has ported heads and produced good results with those cams is cricital. Bob Wright used to be the go to porter for Kury cams and I think Dewey's Head Porting (Don Dorfman) has worked with Kury cams before as well.

Quick Reply: Cam upgrade stock engine